Who has Mulitiple DVR's on one TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I have 2 622's on one TV, because I was tired of having to pick and choose programs, or trying to squeeze in programs even with 3 tuners. I have 6 tuners I can use to record and no worries (usually) about missing anything. I used to have 2 DishPlayers(7100 & 7200), so I've been doing this awhile.

Also, have 9 EHD'S for storage purposes (8-500gb, 1-1TB, mostly full).

I was just wondering who else has a setup like this, or similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Yaz,

I am about to! will be ordering Dish in the next day or so. planning to get two 722's, that will be tied via HDMI into my Integra A/V preamp, going to a single TV.

the capability to record 4 satellite and 2 OTA programs simultaneously is fantastic. Like you, I don't have to worry about juggling tuners and programming schedules onto a single unit.

and I will have two 1TB external hard drives waiting to be attached as soon as the install occurs:up

Jeff

I haven't quite needed to use 2 DVRs yet. Having 2 OTA tuners would fix most of my problems, because pretty much everything on "cable" channels gets repeated later, but pretty much nothing OTA does. On Thursday night, I have all three tuners in my 722 busy getting stuff that can be had from the antenna, but I don't think I'm skipping anything yet.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be seriously considering a Windows Media Center with four OTA tuners and four CableCard tuners and an external NAS for storage.

No, they're not, but once you start talking about that many tuners active at one time, cable starts to make sense again. Especially if you're in a FiOS area, where the PQ typically exceeds Dish.

I haven't quite needed to use 2 DVRs yet. Having 2 OTA tuners would fix most of my problems, because pretty much everything on "cable" channels gets repeated later, but pretty much nothing OTA does. On Thursday night, I have all three tuners in my 722 busy getting stuff that can be had from the antenna, but I don't think I'm skipping anything yet.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be seriously considering a Windows Media Center with four OTA tuners and four CableCard tuners and an external NAS for storage.

Not interested at all, I have more HD with DISH, and cheaper with Absolute.

It would cost $9.00 x 4 just for the CableCards, PLUS the programming charges of $72.99. It just doesn't make sense. I watch much more than just the OTA networks.
FIOS is just a dream out here............(but the folks that have it, (A) seem to forget that they are very lucky, and then (B) PUSH IT HARD on everyone else)

I'm using windows MCE (for HD OTA) in combination with a 622. Usually I don't need more than 2 sat tuners. I plan on keeping my 622 when I'm able to purchase a 922 for the few situations where I need more than 2 sat tuners.

I've found that recording only new episodes of your favorite shows really cuts down on the need for lots of tuners. Do you really need to watch that episode of Cheers again?

It would cost $9.00 x 4 just for the CableCards, PLUS the programming charges of $72.99. It just doesn't make sense. I watch much more than just the OTA networks.
Right on. Too bad you only get about 3/4 of the HD that Dish offers, and to get the rest of what's available, you'd wind up paying about the same in programming. Though Dish is still cheaper than cablecards, even after they jab you for Locals+DVR fees.

My dream system would either be an 8-tuner rackmount system or a pair of 722Ks that could automatically load balance and share recordings. :)

I'm using windows MCE (for HD OTA) in combination with a 622. Usually I don't need more than 2 sat tuners. I plan on keeping my 622 when I'm able to purchase a 922 for the few situations where I need more than 2 sat tuners.

I've found that recording only new episodes of your favorite shows really cuts down on the need for lots of tuners. Do you really need to watch that episode of Cheers again?

I only record new episodes.

Have one 722k and the DISH pal plus ota dvr. So I have 4 ota tuners and 2 sat tuners to record on. I NEVER miss anything on the networks now during prime time. I never have to choose which program to cut because of conflicts.

Have one 722k and the DISH pal plus ota dvr. So I have 4 ota tuners and 2 sat tuners to record on. I NEVER miss anything on the networks now during prime time. I never have to choose which program to cut because of conflicts.

That's a good combo, and probably cheaper. Is there a monthly fee on the D Pal +?

My Bedroom Has a 622 hooked up , plus the tv 2 off my 722k also runs to my bedroom as well when needed. This way I can watch all my 722k recordings in my bedroom at the press of a button.

My Bedroom Has a 622 hooked up , plus the tv 2 off my 722k also runs to my bedroom as well when needed. This way I can watch all my 722k recordings in my bedroom at the press of a button.
:up Great idea. I'd do the same if I were you.

I have two 722k's hooked up to my living room television, one 722k is in my living room, the other is in my office and is hooked up to my living room TV through a HDMI extender. I have that 722k hooked up to my office TV via component cables. I also have a 1TB external drive hooked up to the LR 722k.

Our 722 in the living room is connected to TV's HDMI. The TV's component input is from the family room 622. It's amazing how often I have to switch to the latter because wifey is recording two shows upstairs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)