Who has the better SD PQ? Dish or Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ricknau

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
Someone in another thread compared Dish's SD picture quality to old streaming video. Lot's of compression "artifacts". That matches my experience from almost a year ago which prompted me to drop Dish and try Voom after I got a 50" TV. On the bigger screen the blockiness was so much more evident that I just couldn't take it. But, of course, Voom is no more so I have to find a new home. No cable where I live, satellite is my only option.

So my question is:

Of those of you who have experience with both Dish and Directv, which has the better SD quality. Or asked another way: Does Directv's SD PQ suck as bad as Dish's?

I'll ask this in the Dish forum also. I need to pick real soon if I want to avoid a black spell. Actually it's probably too late for that.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question YET. I place my order with Robert at Value Electronics today, so shouldn't have much (if any) 'downtime'... :D

You can ask 100,000 people and you will get a 50/50 split. All you can do is look for yourself if you have a dealer or a friend that has both running to the same exact TV so you can do a fair comparison. I have had both running through the same 2 TV/video setups and my selection is DirecTV, but not by enough to matter. To me they have better hardware/software, service and overall channel selection for a bit more per month than one morning latte. AND after all the price changes took effect it is damn near the same.

I just got Direct, I thought Voom's SD picture was better than Dish when I switched to Voom, but SD on my new Zenith HD-SAT520 receiver is better than Voom. I'm happy with the SD and I have less over scan too. The Zenith receiver automatically switches display output to the TV. 480p or 1080i depending on the input. The Voom receiver I had in 1080i all the time. SD looks better in 480p.

I have DirecTV and do see the problems mentioned. I can only compare Dish's superstations PQ, and it also sucks. I suspect that it depends on what stations you're watching.

I have seen so many threads about this. To me it is hard to tell the difference. I think there will be more of a difference based upon the television you are watching it on and the wires you choose to use (coax or A/V or S-Video).

I have had them both, I am very picky when it comes to my TV, I want quality, so I dumped them both, but I think DTV was a bit better, but then again some channels on dish was better than DTV, its hard to say. I just use dvd's the BUD and my OTA now.

I had direct tv for 6 years, cable for a year then switched to dish last fall because I bought a hd tv and you did not have to buy the dish equipment plus dish offered my locals and direct did not. To me direct tv picture quality is better for sd, I do not know about hd quality for direct but dish hd quality is great.

MichaelC said:
I just got Direct, I thought Voom's SD picture was better than Dish when I switched to Voom, but SD on my new Zenith HD-SAT520 receiver is better than Voom. I'm happy with the SD and I have less over scan too. The Zenith receiver automatically switches display output to the TV. 480p or 1080i depending on the input. The Voom receiver I had in 1080i all the time. SD looks better in 480p.

I have the same box and the OTA tuning is sooo much better than Voom. And the SD and HD is much better than Voom, too. I was real disapointed by the SD on the Voom service but the SAT520 on D* makes it look pretty darn good!!!

I had Voom for 3 months, then Dish for 3 months, and now we ar back with D*. We just switched back to D* last Friday and as soon as i saw the SD picture I immediately saw an improvement. I also have the Zenith HD-SAT520 so I don't know how much of the improvement is the receiver. The overall quality of D* is better than Dish. Over the past 5 years I have had both services for an equal amount of time and I would go with D* hands down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts