Who here has an OTA antenna but is not a cord cutter?

a sub channel you mean something like 54-1???
the CW here is on channel 5 in my area
i never watch me tv :coco
You have the right idea, however it would probably be a -2 or -3 .
The -1 is the OTA version of the D* channel if your locals are on D*.

For example, for you KNBC is on your D* local channel line up ...
I don't know the channel number, but lets say its on D* on channel 4 ....
KNBC would be available to you OTA on 4.1 or 4-1 and the Me Tv would be on 4-2 (not saying thats the right channel numbers, but thats what you would see on the TV in the guide.)

Reactions: krynn
You have the right idea, however it would probably be a -2 or -3 .
The -1 is the OTA version of the D* channel if your locals are on D*.

For example, for you KNBC is on your D* local channel line up ...
I don't know the channel number, but lets say its on D* on channel 4 ....
KNBC would be available to you OTA on 4.1 or 4-1 and the Me Tv would be on 4-2 (not saying thats the right channel numbers, but thats what you would see on the TV in the guide.)
nbc out here is channel 4. i see now the 4-1 is a sub station of nbc

For digital OTA broadcasting the primary channel is numbered X.1 or X-1such as 4.1 or 4-1 for your NBC station.

Sub channels are numbered as X.2, X.3 and so forth some designaltions using the dash instead of the dot.

I have Dish Network and the local channel supplied via satellite would be designated 4.0 and any local primary channels via antenna would be the same programming but designated as 4.1, then any OTA sub channels would be 4.2, 4.3 etc.

I just put up an outdoor FM antenna as well. Dropped the SXM package because I wasn’t using it enough and HD Radio is free.

Only have bare bones Flex Pack now for the cable nets.

I have a FIOS triple play (internet, tv, phone). If I try to cancel the TV part, I would end up paying more as it would break the discounted bundle.

The TV part is Custom Action & Entertainment. It's actually a good selection of channels while being a low economy tier without regional sports network programming and ESPN.

However, FIOS's fees for set-top boxes and the multi room DVR adds up. $12/per TV set and $20 for the DVR. (I currently get the DVR free but my promotion for it is about to expire). So the DVR for that primary room really is $32/month.

Fortunately, I have an outdoor antenna connected to a newly purchased and set up Amazon Recast DVR, and I have a Philo subscription. I also watch Netflix, Hulu Plus without Hulu Live TV but have Showtime and Starz through Hulu, HBO Now/Max directly through HBO, and Epix and some free channels through Sling, and use the PBS and Pluto TV apps so have a lot of content.

But I like watching locals and wanted to wean off being tied to Fios' set top boxes for locals. I bought a Recast and I was impressed.

I plan on returning all the Verizon set top equipment back later in the summer. I will still save money with over the air and a $20/month Philo even though I'm duplicating most of the channels that FIOS already provides me, while losing a number of channels but many that I don't really care for anyways. Philo also has some channels like BBC World News and Logo not in my FIOS subscription.

FIOS is also pretty rigid in that it doesn't have a streaming app for the Firestick or Roku. One pretty much needs a set top box for each tv. Watching TV on mobile or laptop isn't as smooth, as when I do with a Philo or Sling subscription. The FIOS remote control is huge too. While I kind of wish Rokus/Firesticks had maybe six keys for numeric input - so I could type in a theoretical channel 121 for AMC, the FIOS remote is just way too large and the idea of such a large remote feels somewhat outdated and takes up a lot of space in a small room. FIOS seems in some way stuck in 2010, but I'm grateful to have it it my area as it competes with Comcast. (Many areas don't have FIOS and only have Comcast in my area).

Last edited:
Me here subscribe to DISH and have a over the air aerial. Those boxes sold are not nearly as regular subscribed channels are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Directv with "moved" locals, to a county that gets many of my true locals as SV. I have the AM21 OTA tuner that adds in the subchannels and the 2 locals that I can get OTA that are not provided by Directv by SV in my "moved" county. Since Directv allows the AM21 to display the channels not in their stupid database again, the AM21 also adds Canadian channels into the Directv guide (without guide data) so I think OTA is a valuable addition to pay TV.

Reactions: edisonprime
OTA w/Tivo and for DISH, DISH Sat, Amazon Prime/Fire Stick, and only when on sale Hulu. We get HBO MAX free with our At&t Cell.

Tampa has alot of OTA channels with some newer ones with different programming. (Twist, Newsy, Digi TV, along with most of the usuals)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)