Who here has tried Puffer to watch locals from San Francisco?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I love it. The only downside is that they can only have 500 viewers at one time. For instance, I tried tuning in last night and I couldn't get access, and I wasn't even going to watch the Super Bowl since I couldn't care less about sports (especially the Super Bowl). Anyone else really love the service?

Here's a link if you want to use Puffer...

puffer.stanford.edu

Does this require a VPN if you're outside the SF metro?
No, it's part of a research study. I don't use a VPN to use this service and I live in Minnesota. But I believe at some point there will be a maximum number of registered users to the best of my knowledge, but I highly recommend it. Keep in mind that the service does not work on iPhones or iPads, but it does work on Macs but not on the Safari browser. I personally use the internet browser on my Amazon Fire TV Cube.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I use Puffer from time to time to watch programs we missed in their eastern time slot. Occasionally I can't get in due to the 500 user limit, but it doesn't happen often. I just checked and right now the NBC, ABC, and Fox stations are not available. CBS, PBS, and CW are ok.

Puffer is a great service, but unfortunately there is no DVR. I also watch it from time to time, can cast it from the computer to the TV.
Unfortunately you can't really expect a DVR from a service that's only being used for a research study that also happens to have a limit of 500 viewers (on all their channels provided total, not per channel). Also unfortunately, though I don't personally know much about it but assuming since it's just a research study I'm thinking that the service will have an end date.

Unfortunately you can't really expect a DVR from a service that's only being used for a research study that also happens to have a limit of 500 viewers (on all their channels provided total, not per channel). Also unfortunately, though I don't personally know much about it but assuming since it's just a research study I'm thinking that the service will have an end date.
That is true. Puffer has been around for quite a few years now. I doubt many are familiar with it. I would think the Networks would shut it down if many used it. Having a limit of 500, maybe the Big 4 aren't concerned. The app is not on Roku or Fire Stick either, so if you want the service, you have to go looking for it on your computer.

Reactions: edisonprime
That is true. Puffer has been around for quite a few years now. I doubt many are familiar with it. I would think the Networks would shut it down if many used it. Having a limit of 500, maybe the Big 4 aren't concerned. The app is not on Roku or Fire Stick either, so if you want the service, you have to go looking for it on your computer.
Puffer works ok using the browser on our Firestick.

Being that the big networks from San Francisco on Puffer are being used for a research study from one of the top universities in the country, Stanford University, to study internet streaming algorithms, I assume that the networks wouldn't mind as much, especially with the 500 viewer limit.

I know nobody's going to be able to answer this, so I'll just ask rhetorically. I wonder how many of the 500 viewers last Sunday on Puffer actually WEREN'T watching the Super Bowl? That's something I'm wondering...

Being that the big networks from San Francisco on Puffer are being used for a research study from one of the top universities in the country, Stanford University, to study internet streaming algorithms, I assume that the networks wouldn't mind as much, especially with the 500 viewer limit.
That is probably the case as the service as been there for years.

Reactions: edisonprime
That is probably the case as the service as been there for years.
Who knows how long yet it will be around? I could be wrong, as I've been wrong before, but my opinion is that it will shut down in the future eventually, maybe the distant future, but still it's only a research study. Very few research studies don't end. One of the few that stayed is the Nielsen Media Research Study, which ironically I got in the mail not too long ago, filled out, and was payed for doing so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)