Who in here is moving to another cable/satellite company?

Does every thread have to be a "OH MY GOD THE WORLD AT E* IS GONNA KILL ME WHEN THE PRICE GOES UP". I'm staying until the end of my lease then I will see what if anything anyone else offers. Of Course woulda done it that way even if no rate hike.

Moving from one to another

Howdy. I moved from Dish to Directv for the Filipino channels and my wife hasn't tuned it out yet. Dish network only had that one channel and Directv has 7. At least the filipino channels are worth the change, if nothing else.

Howdy. I moved from Dish to Directv for the Filipino channels and my wife hasn't tuned it out yet. Dish network only had that one channel and Directv has 7. At least the filipino channels are worth the change, if nothing else.

I guess that is great if you are the what, 1 or 2% of the population that would watch the Filipino channels, but as for me, the Filipino channels are not worth the change, no matter how many more channels Direct has over Dish! :D ;)

Well I still have a few months left on contract, and then, like many others, I will look at my other options. Verizon is telling me that FIOS TV & Internet will be up and running when my contract expires. If that is the case, then I will move to them, if not, I'll probably stay with E*.

Well, as soon as my fiance arrives, I'll be in the same boat as bob1942. Direct TV all the way for me. Heheh

We just got noticed they are launching that in our area in March and I'll probably give 'em a try. The line-up is pretty impressive.

"The only other option is comcast (a lot more for a lot less) "

Francisco, I think you got it backwards with Comcast. (A lot less for a lot more). At least that's how it's here in So. San Francisco, you pay more money for less channels.

Looks like U-Verse has launched in some cities here in the Bay Area, I'll wait and see what they got to offer and when it's offered here in my area, I'll give them a shot. But not because of the recent raise, since every provider is raising their prices.

Added the channel line-up for UVerse here in the the SF Bay Area.

Well, I really like many things about E* - HD channels, VOOM, Sirius music, the 622 (although no external storage to date), lots of channels = lots of choices, and I even like the monthly guide!! But then, Charlie raises the rates by $10/mo (too much!) and the Tax-o-cratic governor of Virginia is adding the 5% sales tax in 2007! Ouch!

Our local cable company (Cox Cable of Fairfax) is a big loser; however, Verizon's FIOS has been available to me for some time and when my committment to E* is up, they will get a long, hard look.

---Doug

I'm leaving but not for the price increase. I've been hoping that Dish would add the Logo channel and they haven't yet. TWC in my area beat them too it. Direct is out of the question becuase I don't want to reinvest in HD boxes.

TWC also offers faster HSI than ATT DSL in my area. And there's no contract. That's always bothered me about satellite. If they're so confident about their service, why force contracts?

Comcast is looking mighty attractive right now. My area has the same number of national HD channels (minus voom which i don't want) plus all locals and the RSN in HD. 2 HD dvrs and their best package (normal pricing) without premiums would be cheaper then what i currently pay Dish. I'd also save over $10 on my HSI. Would save $50 a month the first year (ditch the dish) and about $16 a month after.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm sticking with Charles and Dish.

Cable in my 'hood blows chunks.

DirectTV offers far less HD content and from I can tell their pricing is not significantly more competitive than Dish. And, Rupert Murdoch just might be the anti-Christ. ;)

Beautiful and fast programming guide, reliable HD-DVR, super SD picture quality, the best HD-lite picture quality in the industry, the most HD content, Sirius music and customer service that's light years ahead of cable in my 'hood; Dish, I'm not pleased with the $10 price increase but you're still the best overall value for my buck.

Right now, I am still deciding to stay with E* or move to D* my family wants Filipino Direct from D* and the Viva Pinoy Pack from E* shows the same old movies over and over again. I know E* is great and somewhat cheaper.... I'm still lost lol

Merry Christmas!:)
D* and E* are similarly priced. And, if D* has the programming your family wants, you should switch. It's all about the programming meeting your needs.

Myself, I switched to Comcast cable about a year and a half ago, and until recently was paying less than the equivilent E* programming, plus got a free HD DVR vs. E*'s $199 upgrade fee. The real time Video on Demand is the best feature. Many cable companies offer international programming, so you should check into it in your area. Most have a "switch from dish" promo that will save you some serious money for the first year or two. (You can always switch back to satellite when the promo ends.) D* was not an option, as they don't carry TV Japan.

But, I recently set up a Sony LocationFree server in Japan, and can now watch the full gamut of Japanese programming for free. TV Japan is no longer an issue for me, which opens up D* as another choice. You might consider the same thing, if you have a friend or relative back in the Philippines with a high-speed internet connection. (You will also need a device there to tune in the broadcasts, such as a cable tuner, VCR, set top DVR, etc.)

SlingMedia makes the similar, and less expensive, SlingBox. But, you need a PC to view it on this end. Sony makes a LocationFree client that connects directly to your TV. Plus, Sony uses MPEG-4 compression, which can provide a higher quality image at a lower bandwidth.

Being able to watch all of the local channels for FREE sure beats paying E* or C* for a handfull of channels, or, in the case of TV Japan $25 for ONE channel.

Also, for Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Arabic, and Iranian people, I recommend a FTA system. There are tons of channels in those languages being beamed for FREE to North America. Just need the right equipment. (Plus, less numerous offerings from Africa, Russia, Poland, France, Netherlands, Israel, and others, including Philippines!.) Check out the FTA forums here at SatGuys for more info on that.

Comcast is looking mighty attractive right now. My area has the same number of national HD channels (minus voom which i don't want) plus all locals and the RSN in HD. 2 HD dvrs and their best package (normal pricing) without premiums would be cheaper then what i currently pay Dish. I'd also save over $10 on my HSI. Would save $50 a month the first year (ditch the dish) and about $16 a month after.

Decisions, decisions.
What decision? It looks like you have no choice.

I'm going to switch to RFC Satellite!

They PAY YOU to install satellite dishes on your house, seal them perfectly so that they never leak, and the dish is only 10" round but picks up 100+ signal strength on 10 birds!

The picture is uncompressed and flawless, the boxes are quad tuner HD DVRs with 4 solid state hard drives that make no noise and have no fans, and yes they only need 1 cable to the dish!

The service is cheap ($25 a month) and every month they add a new HD channel!

[If only]
What's RFC satellite?

Garypen: Really F-ing cool Satellite services is the company we all dream of having (if it existed!) Unfortunately, it doesn't.

To those so worried about price I'd swap out with a set of SD plain jane receivers and get the AT60 or AT100 as they call it now! That's what we do, and it's.. just barely on the rung of being worth it, just IMHO. :)

Of course, in many places it's still $5 a month less (if not more) than cable of the same sort o_O

- DiSH customer for 10 years.
- Switched to ExpressVu when I lost Distant Networks in December. Not interested in locals, just time shifting.
- BEV had 50% off hardware, so dual tuner HD box (9200) cost me $299. CDN
- No regrets, and cheaper for HD package than DiSH Gold, plus no charge for extra receivers, or "no phone" fee.

Dish_Dan

I've been debating with staying with Dish since DirecTv offers VS/OLN on it's lowest tier (I'm a hockey and indoor lax fan).

Other than that, I'm happy with Dish.....and if they'd move VS to Top 120 (or offered it ala carte), I'd be VERY happy with Dish.

I am going to direct tv, I have been a dish customer for several years and had been waiting for them to add channels like yes network and tvone, but instead there cutting channels off and hiking rates are they f**king crazy there just putting the carpet down and asking customers to leave. yes I know direct tv hiked there prices too but at least you get your money's worth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)