Who in here is moving to another cable/satellite company?

Well, if our monetary system were sound we in fact would be seeing a universal drop in prices every year as businesses became more efficient and supply and demand and competition worked it's magic. Unfortunately, we have something called 'inflation' that is created by our government giving the power to create money to a private corporation known as the Federal Reserve. So until we can abolish the Federal Reserve and eliminate inflation, you can all expect price hikes from Dishnetwork, Time Warner, and DirectTV. Sometimes though, technology, business ingenuity, and industrial efficency overcomes inflation for a short time span and you still see goods and services dropping in price. But there is only so much a business can do to be efficient. When I started it took me 3-4 hours to hook up a two tuner install. Now it takes me 1.5 - 2 hours to hook up a four tuner install. I will never get a four tuner install done in 5 minutes. The Federal Reserve however, has no cap on it's inflationary powers and history has proved that this form of monitary system must inevitably crash.

Hehehe, pardon me, I just watched "From Freedom to Fascism." :)

What was the rate of inflation for 2006 ??

will stick with DISH for now. Will see what happens at CES and if there are any announcements. Hopefully there will be something "concrete" regarding the HD RSN's and when they will be activated.

I played the flip-flop provider thing this last year. I landed at E* for HD, and now I have a broken display. Either way, E* seems to have the best PQ for my market and the only programs I care about are in Center Ice, which I can get anywhere.

What was the rate of inflation for 2006 ??

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Annual_Inflation/annual_inflation_chart.htm
Look at the 4 year trend.....since 2002 the rate has increased from a little over 1% to the current 2 1/4%......Big deal..
I have no clue how zander arrived at his hyposthesis that the Fed Reserve is the bane of our economy....Without a "check valve" such as the Fed, we'd have unfettered capitalism. That condition was partly to blame for the Great Depression..

The second FIOS is up and running here, is the second I call Dish and try to explain to a barely literate foreigner that I would like to cancel, thus accomplishing nothing.

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/images/charts/Annual_Inflation/annual_inflation_chart.htm
Look at the 4 year trend.....since 2002 the rate has increased from a little over 1% to the current 2 1/4%......Big deal..
I have no clue how zander arrived at his hyposthesis that the Fed Reserve is the bane of our economy....Without a "check valve" such as the Fed, we'd have unfettered capitalism. That condition was partly to blame for the Great Depression..

:up :up

My comcast bill went up $12.14 a month. Dvr from $9.95 to $11.95 addl outlet dvr $16.90 and cable $4.00 plus tax. A rate hike of $3.oo from dish is not that bad.I am going back to dish.

The second FIOS is up and running here, is the second I call Dish and try to explain to a barely literate foreigner that I would like to cancel, thus accomplishing nothing.
I looked at Verizon's website and checked theri FiOS....The only thing I can see that would keep me from getting that service,if I lived in a Verizon FiOS area, is the absence of sports packages. I am an NHL CI sub and may go with the MLB EI this year...Other than that, the FiOS looks like a better product than satellite or cable.
I live near a pretty large city but the wheels of progress seem to turn very slowly here..Technology seems to take it's sweet time getting here...I don't envision FiOS getting here for quite some time.

I looked at Verizon's website and checked theri FiOS....The only thing I can see that would keep me from getting that service,if I lived in a Verizon FiOS area, is the absence of sports packages. I am an NHL CI sub and may go with the MLB EI this year...Other than that, the FiOS looks like a better product than satellite or cable.
I live near a pretty large city but the wheels of progress seem to turn very slowly here..Technology seems to take it's sweet time getting here...I don't envision FiOS getting here for quite some time.
Which is good, from what I'm reading they have too many bugs that need to be worked out.
With all the bugs it makes me happy to stick with Dish.

My Verizon bill just went up 12.5%.

Cable companies in my area are raising thier rates between 6% and 15% in 2007.

No one is immune from rate increases.

Has anyone ever asked themselves why there are rate increases? What kind of answers have you come up with?

Has anyone ever asked themselves why there are rate increases? What kind of answers have you come up with?
costs go up at the top and the end user is at the bottom of the hill.
Right after the two hurricanes in 2005 gasoline prices as you know spiked to all time highs. Later in 2005 Time warner announced a 5% rate increase to all subs..The reason?..Increased fuel costs. TW was spending more money to run their trucks so they simply passed that additional cost along to their customers..Now in a perfect world most people would realize that business passes along some of thier extraneous costs to the consumer. An example would be sales taxes. A merchant does not charge sales tax but rather collects the taxfor the state.This is because the state or city has already collected the tax when the merchant purchased the goods for their distributor. The galling aspect of TW's increase was that people havd to indure $3.25/gallon gas and if they were cable customers got smoked again..Needless to say many TW subs were very angry. And we satellite techs got very busy.

Competition is the number one reason for price increases. To allow cashflow to cover existing expenses and also to subsidize new developments. That cost increases each quarter as competing companies see each other have gained more income. One point for increase is necessary to continue competition, the second to try and beat out the competition.

Either way there will continue to be increases, and people will continue to pay. Because if all consumers were smart enough to get together and say "we won't pay anymore", the world would be shut off for about three days, until 3/4's of the population caved in, and they would, and companies know this.

Last edited:
I've had Adelphia/Comcast service for the past week and I'll be turning off E* later this week. Although I have been vocal against HD-Lite, I really can't complain too much about our DishHD experience these past 19-months post VOOM DBS; they provide a reliable service, excellent receivers (loved our 942 and now our 622s), and competitive pricing.

Our leaving E* has much more to do with the fact FiOS TV has come to town and cable is now offering rock-bottom deals to attract satellite subscribers and make a grab at Internet only customers...$29.95 for 12 months of digital cable, HBO, Showtime, and Starz. As much as we love our two 622s, the fact is the cable offer is more than $23 less expensive each month with almost all the local channels, three premium movie channels, two HD DVRs, one HD Cablecard, all local sports channels (MASN) - oh, and this is compared to DishHD Bronze where we can't even get the few SD channels we would actually watch (Fox News, BOOM, Lifetime Movie Network, Bloomberg), and certainly no premium movie channels. While it sucks not having use of our 622s (and love integrating OTA into the program guide), cable service has improved over the past few years: HD DVRs software isn't quite so clunky, HD PQ is outstanding (exact same HD Local quality as OTA), On Demand is pretty cool, I connected my Mitsubishi using Firewire, and I connected 200MB USB/eSATA drive I use for PC file backup to the HD DVR and it works very well.

We would gladly stick with E*, but cable competition is heating up in our area and they have proven to be more eager to earn our business for the next year. Unless E* is prepared to match pricing (i.e. DishHD Platinum for $49.99 for 12 months) then I'll be placing my 622s in storage for a while and wait for FiOS TV in about a year. No commitment means I can always come back to E*, but it doesn't make much $ence to come back during the promotion period...especially when I am also saving another $10 per month on my Internet service as well.

Competition is good...:)

Competition is the number one reason for price increases.
Exactly the opposite...meaningful competition will lead to lower prices, more attractive customer incentives, and force the competing companies to be more efficient or die trying. The local cable company would not be offering this promotion if they did not have competition from Verizon (see attached).

Attachments

• Adelphia_Offer_December_2006.pdf
    100.8 KB · Views: 146

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)