Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I suffered for quite some time without HDMI on my 211 model. Dish repeatedly told me that it was a software problem. At some point about ten months ago, I raised hell with them and demanded the 211 be replaced. They complied and the replacement unit has had no HDMI problems. So my advice is to raise hell and demand a replacement unit.

I know that for playback on a PC, the monitor has to support HDCP for the full resolution. If you don't have HDMI or DVI, then you may not get the full resolution.

Are you sure? I didn't think E* had activated HDCP. I've tried my computer monitor in the past without problems (but not lately).

Ah, yes...that's what I was misremembering -- the 5.1 thing.

I'm continuing to have HDMI problems after the software downgrade, so it looks like it's probably the port pins acting up.

It's nice to have the built-in HDMI test to see what's going on in real-time, but the info is not terribly easy to parse. With mine, it appears that when the EDID checksum -fails-, it's connected OK... :confused: That threw off my troubleshooting for a while...

At the moment, the determining factor seems to be whether the HDMI test reports that the HDMI port is enabled on the Dish STB side or not (TRUE or FALSE). I dunno what throws it to FALSE, though. When it was on FALSE and I rebooted the Dish, it came back up TRUE, and then I could hit the "Reset HDMI" button and the HDMI (DVI) came through on the TV OK again...
-- KEENE

If anyone cares, I finally figured out the problem in my case. As I had suspected, Dish changed their software to require an EDID response from the display in order to complete the HDMI handshake. My old Samsung CRT HDTV, although it was new enough to have a DVI input (and supposedly HDCP 1.0), it wasn't new enough to have an EDID ROM installed.

I had long ago given up and switched the Dish over to component, but I ran into the same problem when I recently bought a new DVD player with HDMI output (although the older DVD w/HDMI I had worked OK) . I bought a DVI Detective box, copied the EDID from my computer monitor, and lo! and behold -- both the Dish and DVD player work fine through the DVI input...
-- KEENE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)