Who is not interested in Prime Time Anytime?

How interested are you in Dish's upcoming Prime Time Anytime feature?

• Very interested. Wouldn't live without it.

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • Somewhat interested. Looks promising.

Votes: 124 36.6%
  • Not very interested. Might give it a shot.

Votes: 53 15.6%
  • Couldn't care less. That's "could NOT care less."

Votes: 103 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks! Hopefully Dish will look into ways to make the timers cooperate with PTAT in order to prevent redundant tuner usage.

The redundancy is in setting a timer to record a prime time network show. Why do that when it is already being recorded..... If you don't have time to watch a program within 8 days you can easily save that program from the PTAT.

The redundancy is in setting a timer to record a prime time network show. Why do that when it is already being recorded..... If you don't have time to watch a program within 8 days you can easily save that program from the PTAT.

I don't want to have to remember to go back once a show has aired to tag the PTAT show to be saved after 8 days. That should happen automatically if there's a timer set for a show. If you couldn't set timers, it would be less of a convenience for a viewer and makes the entire system less streamlined. I for one don't always get back to a show within 8 days... heck sometimes 8 weeks.

I don't want to have to remember to go back once a show has aired to tag the PTAT show to be saved after 8 days. That should happen automatically if there's a timer set for a show. If you couldn't set timers, it would be less of a convenience for a viewer and makes the entire system less streamlined. I for one don't always get back to a show within 8 days... heck sometimes 8 weeks.
didn't someone already indicate that something like this would be added after launch?

Forgive me if this was already covered, but two issues are still unclear to me...

1. If PTAT is disabled, is the 3rd tuner then available for standard timers to use?
  2. If PTAT is enabled and you also have a timer set to record a prime-time network show, will that timer still use another tuner?
If the answer to #2 is yes, then I'd like to see a feature added to auto-copy the show from the PTAT buffer rather than consume another tuner. It seems silly to require someone to manually save those episodes from PTAT weekly. My family almost never has time to watch a show within 8 days of airing, and often we record 3 shows at once (722, plus OTA).

-OD

#2 why would you when it's already going to be recorded?.:confused:

In my case, there is no "if". I won't get to it within 8 days, and every week I'll have to either manually save certain PT shows, or occupy another tuner with those timers. The whole point of timers is to make manual intervention unnecessary, so hopefully Dish will make timers PTAT-aware in order to optimize tuner usage.

If they do that, then PTAT could definitely help me on nights when I have simultaneous recording on my locals.

Yes, this was brought a while ago. If the saving of PTAT shows is a manual intervention every week, then it will fail. The video demos showing the option to save a PTAT episode did not include an automatic option.

Because I won't get around to watching it within 8 days, so I'll be manually saving every week.

Why not automate the process somehow? Others here have mentioned having an auto-save feature for shows recorded via PTAT, but setting a timer makes a lot more sense because a)That's what customers are used to doing already, and b)You will still record the shows you want even if you disable PTAT.

#2 why would you when it's already going to be recorded?.:confused:

Because I won't get around to watching it within 8 days, so I'll be manually saving every week.

Why not automate the process somehow? Others here have mentioned having an auto-save feature for shows recorded via PTAT, but setting a timer makes a lot more sense because a)That's what customers are used to doing already, and b)You will still record the shows you want even if you disable PTAT.

The options to autosave individual programs in PTAT or autosave all of PTAT,would seem to be a good solution.

I just thought of this and haven't figured any details but how about a message that blinks "recordings will be deleted tonight" and when you click on it you see a list of the shows on the eighth day that haven't been watched or saved? Of course you need an option to turn this off.

A "this will be deleted" message doesn't help when I'm on the road for 2 weeks. Automatic "timer pooling" is by far the most straightforward way from the user's perspective.

Damn! Why can't this thing cook supper, put out the garbage, and mulch my garden!???

Damn! Why can't this thing cook supper, put out the garbage, and mulch my garden!???

If and when they go, the supper will be limited to a chicken dish (no garlic), only one bag of garbage...small white bag, and just cheap red mulch. So, let's start bitchin!!!

When I get to work tomorrow I'll have to dig up the comparison sheet that showed the HDD space. It showed that the Hopper and the 922 have 500GB of user space.

Oblong Desoto said:
If the answer to #2 is yes, then I'd like to see a feature added to auto-copy the show from the PTAT buffer rather than consume another tuner. It seems silly to require someone to manually save those episodes from PTAT weekly. My family almost never has time to watch a show within 8 days of airing, and often we record 3 shows at once (722, plus OTA).
A recurring Save will be added but they weren't sure it would be available at launch.

This is the comparison info that Dish gave to retailers.

Hopper

The Hopper is a three-tuner Whole-Home HD DVR that lets you record up to six HD channels at once (during primetime hours) and play them back from any room in your home. You can also pause live TV on any TV in your house. It’s one HD DVR that works independently on up to four different TVs at the same time, so everyone can be in different rooms watching their own shows.
  • Massive 2 TB Hard Drive: Record over 250 hours of HD programming (the most in the pay-TV industry!) Plus, hundreds of On Demand titles are available for instant viewing from the spacious DVR, without taking up any of your 250 hours of storage.
  • PrimeTime Anytime: The Hopper’s exclusive feature, PrimeTime Anytime, gives you instant On Demand access to your favorite shows on ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC in HD. Over three hours per night of HD primetime programming are available to you On Demand anytime for up to eight days from initial air date. You’ll have instant access to the best primetime programming without having to set timers or using up your personal DVR hard drive space. Plus you can save your favorite On Demand primetime content forever. (PrimeTime Anytime is only available with local channels broadcast in HD, which may not be available in all markets).
  • Blockbuster @Home supported
  • TV Everywhere compatible with DISH Network Sling Adapter (sold separately)
  • Remote Control locator
  • Tile-based user interface (similar to 922)
Receiver Model
Hopper
Receiver Family
Hopper
TVs
Tuners
1080i HD (30 fr/sec)
x
x
x
x
x
x
1080p HD (24 fr/sec)
x
x
x
x
x
x
3D (half res)
x
x
x
x
DVR (GB)
PrimeTime Anytime (PTAT)
x
Sling Adapter
x
x
x
Sling Inside
x
Remote Locator
x
x

That's got to be a misprint. What is the reported HD hours capacity on the 922? I'm sure it isn't 250 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)