Who is not interested in Prime Time Anytime?

How interested are you in Dish's upcoming Prime Time Anytime feature?

• Very interested. Wouldn't live without it.

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • Somewhat interested. Looks promising.

Votes: 124 36.6%
  • Not very interested. Might give it a shot.

Votes: 53 15.6%
  • Couldn't care less. That's "could NOT care less."

Votes: 103 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still do not see it as a big deal. 500GB is still plenty of space and when I need more I just use my EHD.
500GB is plenty of space for a single user DVR but when you raise the bar to three users, there is a decided potential for getting cramped.

It might be different if you could record to the EHD or the programs moved automatically as the drive filled up.

Yeah; those numbers don't add up. Hopper should read "1000GB" not 500 as the 922. Interesting figures on the rest. Seems Dish reserves "only" 40% of the space on older receivers. I think it was even less than that on the 508/510.

I just thought of this and haven't figured any details but how about a message that blinks "recordings will be deleted tonight" and when you click on it you see a list of the shows on the eighth day that haven't been watched or saved? Of course you need an option to turn this off.
It depends on how this message gets communicated to the user. Because in theory once you have PTAT enabled for more than eight days, that blinking message is going to happen every single day and people are just going to either "tune it out" or they are going to be making calls in to customer service complaining about it. What would probably work better might be on the PTAT screen showing all the tiles the programs that have been recorded is to have a little icon on the program tile warning the user that that program is close to deletion. And it would give the user a chance to click on it and save it.

didn't someone already indicate that something like this would be added after launch?
I was merely pointing out why series timers for PTAT programming would not be redundant.

That's got to be a misprint. What is the reported HD hours capacity on the 922? I'm sure it isn't 250 hours.

Well you can't really give a definite number of hours of total recording time because it's going to depend on what kind of content you are recording. An hour of OTA HD, Satellite HD, and Satellite SD are all going to take up a different amount of space. If you have a healthy mix of that as I'm sure most of us here do all bets are off on how much recording time you actually have.

Last edited:
Well you can't really give a definite number of hours of total recording time because it's going to depend on what kind of content you are recording. An hour of OTA HD, Satellite HD, and Satellite SD are all going to take up a different amount of space. If you have a healthy mix of that as I'm sure most of us here do all bets are off on how much recording time you actually have.
I did specifically say HD hours, and so did the Hopper spec. As far as Sat HD and OTA HD, since the Hopper doesn't currently support OTA, it has to be Sat HD. My bet is still on.

Yeah; those numbers don't add up. Hopper should read "1000GB" not 500 as the 922. Interesting figures on the rest. Seems Dish reserves "only" 40% of the space on older receivers. I think it was even less than that on the 508/510.

Aren't those numbers the space for the user, not the actual total space?

Aren't those numbers the space for the user, not the actual total space?
Even so, simple math:

722 - 300GB - 55 hours HD
Hopper - 500GB? - 250 hours HD? 4x the HD hours at less than 2x the user space? Nah.

How many hours of HD does the 922 claim to record? I haven't been able to find it. If the 922 is also suppose to record 25o hours then I would say the statement is true. If the 922 only did around 100 hours in HD then it looks like we have some misleading info.

I would hope that Dish isn't going to only make 25% of the drive available for user recordings. I think that a safe assumption, based on history and roughly calculated space requirements, would be 50%.

I would be satisfied with 1TB of internal user storage.

I would hope that Dish isn't going to only make 25% of the drive available for user recordings. I think that a safe assumption, based on history and roughly calculated space requirements, would be 50%.

I would be satisfied with 1TB of internal user storage.

They said the Hopper would store 250 hours of HD. Alos, remember, you can transfer your ehd, as long as it isn't from a 211, to the Hopper. Gives you almost unlimited storage and also gives you a work around from the 20 episode default. I currently have 51 episodes of Globe
Trekker on my 2 tb ehd.

The 922 has 1TB hard disk drive, 350 hours SD or 55 hours HD in 500GB of user space. Vivek told me the Hopper was 50/50 which I took as more of a conversational approximation than a technical quote.

I think it will be great all my shows are PRT and my husbands are discovery and my Daughters ABC Family. One of us always have to sacrifice a show but we wont with this!

Just in case this wasn't confirmed by anyone, I received this from Dish. They state that the general rule for PTA is if 50% of the event falls within the recording window, it will ne tagged and recorded. Sporting events have a 60 minute add-on at the end in case your game goes long.

They also say that when the Hopper is available for sale in March, we will be able to advertise it and all it's benefits. We'll be discussing the pricing and promotions closer to this time.

I don't just not give rat's pattoot about it.... I absolutely hate it. I turn it off. save it turned off. And a week or two later I find it has turned itself back on and recorded 35 or 40 programs I don't have the slightest interest in, and have to go through and delete one at a time to recover my disk space. Not only that, but you can't get it to stop recording a program you don't want if you happen to catch it recording. There should be the ability to stop ANY recording at any time. To stop it, you have to unplug the DVR and wait until prime time is over. Then turn PTA off again, and maybe it will stay off for a week or two... but sooner or later it will turn itself back on and record thirty or forty programs before I catch it and start all over again. It drives my wife and I nuts enough we're seriously thinking about going back to DirecTV. At least there, if you tell it to stop recording something it does. You're actually in control.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
nope wouldnt use it

Only have 3 weekly programs from "the big 4"...the rest of my programs from OTA are on CW and an Independent station or not during "prime time"

I'm with you. I watch 60 Minutes and Blue Bloods when it's in season, and otherwise there is nothing on network TV that interests me in the slightest. Unfortunately, my PTA doesn't care. It turns itself back on without my knowledge or permission and by the time I notice, there are thirty or forty programs recorded I couldn't care less about and have to go through and delete one by one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)