who is your internet provider

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

illusion123a

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
We canceled cable and switched to dish, but who should we use for the internet? currently we still get it through comcast, but at $63 a month we want something cheeper but do not want to sacrifice speed. So we are looking at DSL. Also we want a service so that we can be on the phone and online at the same time. additionally, my grand father has one of those "help i've fallen and cant get up" things through the red cross, so what ever we get cannot interfere with that (it is run through the phone line). Thanks for all the advice, oh and according to verizion i can't get DSL where i live, but i am going to call them on monday to double check because a friend who lives 2 blocks away has verizon DSL
THANKS for your help :eek:

Hey whats up illusion, i am exactly in the same boat! I am switching to dish next week and dumping adelphia and they are my current internet provider as well as cable.. But i have been doing research and yes Verizon is by far the first option since FIOS is the fastest connection out if its availble in your area.. I am also calling on Monday to find out if its in my area since it says on the site its not availble which is hard to believe.. But other options would be Earthlink or Qwest's premiere DSL which speed is rated at 7mb and Earthlink's fastest connection is 5mb.. Adelphia i have is 4mb which is hella fast.. So hope that info helps...

I use EarthLink dialup. I get very few disconnects with them and I got them to begin with because of the web browser accelerator software that they have. It works great.

I just called earthlink and i cannot not get ie, becasue i have verizon for my local service (monopoly anyone?) this is starting tp piss me off

Do you have Verizon Voicewing VOIP for your phone? Thats what i got.. Try Qwest man, like i said their Premiere service is the fastest and supposed to be up to 7mb.. if you call post your price quotes thanks man.. Another possibility would be yahoo's SBC dsl but not sure about their speeds.. And how do inquire about Verizon in your area? I don't see any number to call on the verizon site, or could my local verizon wireless store answer the question?

I have Netscape Internet with Web Accelerator. I think it is better than my previous ISP's and cheaper too. It's only $9.95 a month, but I miss cable. I wish cable had a cheaper price instead of $42 or above.

hmm I have dish and road runner, I get road runner for 45 a month, my dsl only gets 1.5 down whereas road runner gets 6 down, so I dont mind the extra 20 a month

Holy moley, people still use dialup??? :eek: I've had comcast (formerly @home) since 1998. Your only other real option is DSL, which is probably going to be slower for the same $, or FIOS, which is only available in select areas. I know comcast is expensive, but I just downloaded service pack2 (500meg iso) in around 7 minutes.

I would just call verizon (or whoever your local phone co is) and get their rates for DSL (and fios if its available). Mention you are thinking of switching from cable to get a good deal.

Yes, people still have dial-up--and, unfortunately, I'm one of them. It's $60/mo to go to Charter cable or Centurytel DSL, and NOTHING else is available, because I've searched frequently to find something!

When I have T1 available all day at work, I can do surfing as needed over lunch or just stay a bit late. Seems senseless to pay so much to have high-speed at home too, though I'd be willing to pay $30 per month for it and get rid of my land-line phone.

And I thought that Cox was expensive at 52 per month including basic cable, but I would not consider switching to Verizon to save $10 per month.

The only reason why I have dialup is due to the fact that its all I can get without paying a lot more for broadband satellite and a lot of money for the hardware in which I'm not paying for. What I like about dialup is being able to take my laptop on the road such as a friend's or relative's house and still get online.

I am going to try out Netscape within the next month because its about half the price of EarthLink and includes Accelerator software as well.

i called and i cannot get DSl becasue i do nothave copper wires, do it looks like i will be paying out the butt for comcast untill we move or somehting better comes along

I have fastaccess DSL, house was built in the 70s wires are crappy and internet works fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)