who is your internet provider

DSL will work across crappy wires, but it will not work across loading coils. These were used back in the day to amplify the voice signal. Problem is, they only amplify the voice range of the signal (300-3400hz) so all the other frequencies are screwed.

www.dslreports.com should be able to tell you what high speed services are in your area, as well as calculate your distance from your Central Office. They also have forums for all the major providers, so you can find out what the best deals of the month are.

Charise said:
Yes, people still have dial-up--and, unfortunately, I'm one of them.

I use dial up at the lake....because nothing else is available

love that 14.4 download speed with tops of 19.6

SimpleSimon said:
Guys: Don't forget to check around for a local WISP (Wireless). there's LOTS of them out there, and most provide good service and value.

Yep. One in my area is just coming on-line, I'll finally be able to get rid of my dial-up account. :D

NightRyder

the house was built in the early 1900's, and was orgionally a 1 room school house, that was built on to. The lady from verizon said that if i could get 50 neighbors to sign up they would do it. I live right across the street from an elm. school and new (expensive) development, I think that they would have access to DSL, i dont understand why they cannot just run it across the street...its soo frusterating. we need high speed becasue my B/f is a computer major and I am currently in grad school so we are online ALOT, we also own 3 computers that are all online. I had wanted to end everything with comcast, but i guess that wont be happening. I dont understand why comcast charges more if you only have internet service

illusion123a said:
We canceled cable and switched to dish, but who should we use for the internet? currently we still get it through comcast, but at $63 a month we want something cheeper but do not want to sacrifice speed. So we are looking at DSL. Also we want a service so that we can be on the phone and online at the same time. additionally, my grand father has one of those "help i've fallen and cant get up" things through the red cross, so what ever we get cannot interfere with that (it is run through the phone line). Thanks for all the advice, oh and according to verizion i can't get DSL where i live, but i am going to call them on monday to double check because a friend who lives 2 blocks away has verizon DSL
THANKS for your help :eek:

Try SBC dsl. I get 1.5 down for only $14.95 a month.

I was also told that I could not get DSL because there is no copper lines running by my house. There was a petition in which was given to someone that works for Verizon which comes out frequently to test the phone lines or whatever in the phone box. He said that all they needed was 50 signatures (88 signed) and to put a card in the box and hookup at the central office to get internet out there because the line runs out here from town.