Who LOVES Dish over DirecTV

tony17

Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
I am contemplating switching from my DTIVO's over to two 510's and an 811 from Dish. Is there anyone out there that loves there Dish and would not go back to DirecTV and the reasons for this. I have seen many people state the other way around about loving DirecTV over dish, but not the other way. Am I gonna be dissapointed? For reference, I have young kids and do most of my tv watching via PVR later at night. And consequently many spongebob and barney viewing before bed....all from the tivo's. is not having the option of "season pass" annoying if that is my main mode of viewing? And how buggy really are the Dish receivers....cause the Tivo's are just rock solid. Thanks for the info.

I had a 510 and gave it up for our Directivo. I would never give up my Tivo. It is far superiour to the 510. You will not have a season pass capability with the 510 despine the name based recording supposedly coming to the 510.

The 811 is as buggy if not more than the Voom HD receiver. I'm getting my first HD receiver from Directv and have read how stable it is.

Charlie has already said he will not add any more HD that he doesn't find compelling.

The 510 isn't a bad box, now that E*'s got most of the kinks out of the software. I liked the remote (UHF also) better then DirecTivo peanut remote and like the on screen caller ID. THE EPG is also much faster on E* then DirecTivo. If you do a lot of recording you might miss the name based recording feature of Tivo, I know I would.

As for the 811, all I can say is review all the post in the 811 section of this site, http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=46. Some love the 811, some hate it, some think it's OK. Just be aware of what you might be getting.

I'd stick with Tivo. Why would you want to change? The only thing I used to like about Dish Network was the HD Picture quality. Now even that is in question...

Thanks fellas....that confirms what I was thinking....guess i will cancel the install. I especially don't want to hear about all of the downfalls pointed out from the wife!!

Trust me, my wife is very critical about our theatre system. She hated the 811. She hated not having name based recording (she loves our Tivo!) and she really hates the Voom box.

I'm hoping the HD box from Directv will perform as advertised.

Don't take a chance on buying a BMW either. A bug might mess up the windshield or a sloppy technician might put in the wrong stereo.

Tvlman, when I read your analogy it really doesn't make sense. You are calling the receiver from Dish a BMW, but the install or cosmetics may not be the best, and to not judge on those. I think you almost made my point however....as I don't care about install or look of the box, but in fact the functionality, which according to most posts and especially those in this thread, point to the fact that DirecTV has the BMW of receivers and Dish is actually the Geo Storm. Sorry if I am wrong and I did not mean any disrespect, just trying to figure out what you really meant by that.

Take care

t

tony17 said:
Thanks fellas....that confirms what I was thinking....guess i will cancel the install. I especially don't want to hear about all of the downfalls pointed out from the wife!!

You realize you just took the advise from two DirecTV subscribers and possibly three if Mike Greer is also with D. I don't think anyone currently with Dish even responded to the thread before you made your decision.

Neutron said:
But he was directed to a thread about the 811 that has answers from DISH subs.

Thats all well and good, but the original poster was looking for feedback from current Dish subscribers who prefer what they have over DirecTV's offerings. He already stated he'd heard plenty from the other side of the fence. 30 minutes later and his mind is made up before even giving Dish subscribers the opportunity to reassure his decision to make the move to Dish. Some things never change I guess.

True...maybe I did jump to soon. The reason I posted this however was because of all the negative I was hearing and when I saw this that is the way I leaned. You are right though I should let those Dish subs respond. Those who do prefer their PVR's over dtivo please let me know the advantages so I can make a better decision....my install is scheduled for friday so I have some time to make up my mind.

thanks, t

If you have noticed lately a lot of DISH subs have changed over to Directv, including RAD and myself.

Since we were both originally DISH subs we had a viable view that we could share. Don't shoot the messenger when we have a valid point.

Neutron said:
If you have noticed lately a lot of DISH subs have changed over to Directv, including RAD and myself.

Since we were both originally DISH subs we had a viable view that we could share. Don't shoot the messenger when we have a valid point.

Believe me I've noticed. RAD had a thread on DBSTalk not long ago bashing the hell out of Dish Network's DVR's compared with Tivos which was filled with all kinds of overgeneralizations and gross exaggerations. He's also the same poster who ripped the company for not communicating better dates and information last fall only to turn around months later lombasting them for communicating anything to subscribers. Can't have it both ways is all I'm saying. Original poster should at least be aware he's getting feedback from only one side of the fence (and its a side fueled by one person in particular who seems particularly interested in swaying people from even contemplating a move to another provider at that).

Look, I just wanted to give my input of previous experience with DISH's hardware. I would hate to see a D* sub leave for E* to later regret it and have to go through the hassle of changing back. RAD has a valid point in is input as well. You may be an E* lover but that is your view. There is nothing wrong with us former E* subs giving our views. I would think the original poster would also want to hear from people who have had to deal with the 510 and 811.

Well, I have to say, I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

I have my 322 hooked up to my Series 2 Standalone Tivo. I know, it doesn't record direct to digital or have 2 tuners, but it does allow some freedom. I came from an area where it made more sense to get cable, so that's when I got my Tivo, and I have it all set up to play my mp3s over my stereo and allow me to browse my digital pictures (DirecTivo can't do either, yet, if ever). But, now that I've moved and the cable company here is a royal ripoff, and I was in an NRTC controlled area, I went with DISH, and I couldn't be happier.

I have had really no problems that weren't installer induced (grounding). My Tivo works flawlessly with the DISH receiver and I love the programming choices.

So far, I really have no problems with DISH.

--Matt

You are talking about Home Media Option, and Directv has mentioned something like that coming this fall for the DTivo.

I have heard the 322 is more stable than the 510 522 and 811 are.

Being a current Dish subscriber...I can say, if you like the functionality of the Tivo at all, stay with it. The Dish PVRs are nice, and the new PiP in the 522 is nice, and it is somewhat fast in the recorded list and program guide...but.. I would've picked Direct over Dish if I could've.

The lack of name based recording completely ruins the 522 for me. It's annoying when 25% of what it records doesn't fit into it's arbitrary timer creation stuff, I don't want to make seperate timers for shows that come on Mon-Thurs, or Sun-Wed, twice a night. (Adult Swim, Whose line on ABCFamily). The program guide isn't as easy to use. The lack of a "you are currently here in the recording" on jump forwards is annoying. The lack of a jump-back feature when you fast forward is also annoying.

I think someone said "It's okay if you don't do a lot of recording"..or something to that effect. I have the Tivo and PVRs because I -do- a lot of recording. If most of what you watch is recorded, stick with the Tivo. As someone who currently has a Tivo, a 510, and a 522, and for a few months, a ReplayTV, I can say that Tivo is still the easiest, friendliest, and most reliable set-top recorder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts