Who needs a OTA Antenna?

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
When I got my 622, I installed a coax line to the attic to install a OTA antenna. I never got good reception regardless of the type antenna I used. Yesterday I just unhooked the antenna and guess what. With no antenna installed, the signal strengths for all of the OTA channels jumped considerably. One channel went from 67 to 100. Go figure.

Farthest tower is 4 miles. It's been somewhat of a pain up till now about getting a good OTA signal. I even removed the antenna to the TV and split the coax from the attic and it's doing so much better. I'd rather be lucky than good. Of course I've got about a dozen antennas to discard now :)

Yes, the magic number is 5 miles, if you are within a 5 mile radius, you will be affected by either, overdrive, and in some cases total signal loss (unless you go with a high-in-the-air antenna) due to the inherent nature of wave pattern propigation at close distances.

I am about 6 miles from the towers and use and indoor Silver Sensor and get all my OTA's without any problem in the range from 94 to 100. I must be one of the fortunate ones regarding the distance from the towers. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts