Who owns the LNB?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
Dish tech came yesterday to upgrade us to HD. He installed a temporary dish location in the yard - said they weren't allowed to put it on our tower like I had done in the past and that he didn't have a clear shot at 129 from the tower anyway. This was the first time I've had a Dish tech to the house since we began service back in '98. I always bought the equipment myself and installed it myself.

The tech wanted to take my 625 after installing the leased 722 , and I told him he could not have it since I bought it. He said he was okay with that. I went out to get the newspaper this morning and take a good look at the temporary dish installed on a tripod in the yard, when I notice that the tech had climbed my tower and took the LNB of of my Dish 500 before he left.

I bought the Dish 500 new from a dealer quite a few years ago. It was a legacy dual LNB and not really worth anything, but I guess it is the principle of the thing. He could have taken the dish down, but just took the LNB. I called the dish installer's company, and the gal I talked with said she thought all LNBs were the property of Dish Network whether the customer purchased it or not. She put me on hold, and then came back on and said her boss would call me back. He hasn't.

Who does actually own the LNB that I bought and installed myself?

If you bought the equipment, it's yours. If you leased it, it belongs to Charlie. Anytime a sub cancels service, DN asks for the LNB's, along with the receivers back. The LNB's are asked back because they are usually used by FTA hackers to access DN service illegally. In some special cases, if you tell the service rep. that the LNB's are not accessible, they will waive the return of the LNB's back.

Last edited:
Dish tech came yesterday to upgrade us to HD. He installed a temporary dish location in the yard - said they weren't allowed to put it on our tower like I had done in the past and that he didn't have a clear shot at 129 from the tower anyway. This was the first time I've had a Dish tech to the house since we began service back in '98. I always bought the equipment myself and installed it myself.

The tech wanted to take my 625 after installing the leased 722 , and I told him he could not have it since I bought it. He said he was okay with that. I went out to get the newspaper this morning and take a good look at the temporary dish installed on a tripod in the yard, when I notice that the tech had climbed my tower and took the LNB of of my Dish 500 before he left.

I bought the Dish 500 new from a dealer quite a few years ago. It was a legacy dual LNB and not really worth anything, but I guess it is the principle of the thing. He could have taken the dish down, but just took the LNB. I called the dish installer's company, and the gal I talked with said she thought all LNBs were the property of Dish Network whether the customer purchased it or not. She put me on hold, and then came back on and said her boss would call me back. He hasn't.

You bought it so you own it. They should return it to you. My thoughts is that the tech assumed it was Dish property since he wasn't told it was yours. The Dish 500 LNB will not pickup 129 but only 110 & 119.

This may read crappy....Here's the policy. On upgrades, the tech MUST return the LNB in order for the transaction to be completed. Especially with contract installer companies. In their case, if an LNB is not returned Dish WILL NOT PAY for the job. No exceptions.
In the contract, all electronics belong to Dish Newtork. Owned receivers are not returned. However, LNB's MUST be returned.
When you get down to brass tacks, it really doesn't matter. Customers are provided with the needed LNB's on upgrades. The old LNB is not needed.
Probably somewhere down the road in this policy is a protection from customers using LNB's to stack accounts or do their own installs. Just speculating there.
I have had customers plead to keep the LNB on upgrades I have done.
The stinky part is even if the customer signs off that they own the LNB and want to keep it, we could not allow that because of the No LNB ,No Pay policy.

The stinky part is even if the customer signs off that they own the LNB and want to keep it, we could not allow that because of the No LNB ,No Pay policy.

Just chalk it up to the borderline, or outright, depending on how you look at it, unethical policies of Dish Network. I hadn't really thought of it but the quad LNBs that came from my Dish 500 were owned by me but the installer took them (but left the dish -- apparently the norm) with the HD upgrade. Now I know why. Yes, I did receive leased, less expandable replacements, but no other compensation other than the upgrade itself and now I don't own either.

I also had a SD receiver that Dish forced me to upgrade to from a 721 that showed as owned by me in the installer's database, although Dish informed me, probably multiple times, it would be leased. I foolishly turned it in to the installer and eventually got a whole $10 for it. If I'd have known what was the authoritative call on own/lease, you can bet I wouldn't have settled for only $10 for that receiver!

Once my current commitment is up I'll probably be quitting Dish Network. Knowing they are at least a bit unethical in my eyes and still giving them revenue just doesn't sit right with me.

oh my

Just chalk it up to the borderline, or outright, depending on how you look at it, unethical policies of Dish Network. I hadn't really thought of it but the quad LNBs that came from my Dish 500 were owned by me but the installer took them (but left the dish -- apparently the norm) with the HD upgrade. Now I know why. Yes, I did receive leased, less expandable replacements, but no other compensation other than the upgrade itself and now I don't own either.

I also had a SD receiver that Dish forced me to upgrade to from a 721 that showed as owned by me in the installer's database, although Dish informed me, probably multiple times, it would be leased. I foolishly turned it in to the installer and eventually got a whole $10 for it. If I'd have known what was the authoritative call on own/lease, you can bet I wouldn't have settled for only $10 for that receiver!

Once my current commitment is up I'll probably be quitting Dish Network. Knowing they are at least a bit unethical in my eyes and still giving them revenue just doesn't sit right with me.

Whatever you think, I don't see it, but I'm not you. Big deal about the old LNBF. I don't see it being anymore unethical than other businesses.

I could really care less that people think they serve no purpose "other than theft" OP if you have proof of purchase. I would file a theft report.

What is next, Installers trespasing on private property to take LNBF's from unused dishs?
E* is having there installers do the dirty work, and they need reported. If it is there property "fine" if it is owned or purchased. Do not touch it.

Oh and if they are that worried about people using "old dishes" for theft, then they need to regulate there sales. You can still buy them online

If you bought the equipment, it's yours. If you leased it, it belongs to Charlie. Anytime a sub cancels service, DN asks for the LNB's, along with the receivers back. The LNB's are asked back because they are usually used by FTA hackers to access DN service illegally. In some special cases, if you tell the service rep. that the LNB's are not accessible, they will waive the return of the LNB's back.

What is consider not accessible? On the rooftop???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)