Who sells the AzBox here in the states?

I got mine from an Ebay seller that's in New Jersey for $285USD plus shipping. Came with an adapter for the European power cord and already set up for NTSC viewing. Plugged it in, did a firmware update, and off I went. Quite pleased.

Yup got mine from the same ebay seller in Miami.. working nicely too.

BestBuy4Less based in New Jersey also sells them. They have the Premium AZBox in stock (when I went seeking one, Rick Caylor informed me that he had still not received the Premium model from his supplier, although they had promised him delivery).

I purchased one from BestBuy4Less for $350 (roughly) and received it in just three days. This Premium model did not come equipped with the HDD and only has one DVB-S2 tuner installed.

You will have to add these components afterwards at the additional cost. I have not purchased the second tuner, but have installed a Samsung HD502HI 500 GB HDD.

RADAR

The Premium has wireless LAN capabilities and an internal SATA connector for a hard drive.
:)

The WiFi or Wireless LAN works well. If you have set up your wireless router to use an encrypted system, the AZBox Premium will identify this and prompt you for the password or access code.

Be cautious of the connection of the internal HDD. The connectors are not always perfectly compatible so you have to research how to connect the power connection and the data connector seaparately as the two connectors are separate on the PC board within the AZBox. This is not difficult, but research it thoroughly before you begin to avoid any catastrophes.

The power connector on the PC board is directly to the rear of the plug in RAM module which is directly to the left of the HDD space and towards the front of the PC board.

The data connection is located just left of the RAM module and towards the front 1/3 of the module.

The RAM module or FLASH DRIVE is a plug-in module that is about 2.5" x 3/4" x 0.25" in dimension and has a small, two male pin connector towards the front of the receiver.

You may have to modify the interconnect cable for the HDD to connect to both the P.S. and the data connection. I used the Samsung HD502HI 500 GB HDD from my AB IPBox as the HDD to install in the AZBox.

The cable from either box was not entirely compatible (interchangeable) so I had to splice the power connector and cut (clip) off the extended end of the data cable connector where the power connection was normally attached to the data cable connector. On the AB IP Box, this was one molded assembly and both the power and data connectors were in-line on the P.C. board. Within the AZBox, the power and the data connections are separated on the P.C. board.

You should easily recognize where the connectors attach if you look at the cable that comes with your AZBox. If you use a little bit of ituition, you can easily identfy what you need to do to accomodate the HDD and its cable connections to the P.C. board within the AZBox. There are pix available from almost every site that discusses the AZBox, so I won't waste the bandwidth to include these pix in this post as I do believe that anyone can identify the proper method of connecting the HDD if they have any electronics or PC knowledge under their hats. (These pix are already on this site).

It is quite logical, so don't fret too much about it. The worst thing I had to do was to take a side cut pliers (dikes) and cut the plastic, female end of the connector that was coming from the Samsung HDD into two sections to enable it to (physically fit) and plug into the data connector on the AZBox P.C. Board. Stuff like this may unnerve some folks, but just have a couple shots of Jack or two beers and it won't seem so bad! Ha Ha! Trust me, you will see that what you are doing is logical and it will make perfect sense to you when you see it first hand.

Of course, I imagine that other HDD's may come with their own unique cable system or connectors and you may need to do this differently for each application. So, just look at it logically and study it well before you start plugging things in. I am certain that you will do fine.

Oh, one note, make sure that you solder the power connector wires together if you have to splice them and use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape to protect them. Don't just twist them or use a wire nut on these connections. Soldering the splices is the only way to go. The heat within the box itself may pose problems for non-soldered connections, so steer clear of such.

RADAR

Having the HDD is nice, but useless on Premium/Elite models to record HD content. On the other hand, SD material works fine with both models including my Elite HD model with a 16GB Pen drive.

Having the HDD is nice, but useless on Premium/Elite models to record HD content. On the other hand, SD material works fine with both models including my Elite HD model with a 16GB Pen drive.

Strange, I'm able to record from PBS HD (AMC 21) and FTV (G 19) and play it back on AZBox and PC.

but it plays ok right?
so if you have it set up to a dvd recorder to record it will still work

Its just when there is a HDD attached to it?

Another site to find the AZBox in the US is azboxusa.com

This appears to be an official outlet for AZBoxes only. I sent them an inquiry to determine if they have the tuner modules available. (9/10/09 @ 12:30 PM CDT).

When they respond, I will keep you informed.

RADAR

What is thier support like. Anyone have any experince with that yet. Looks like a nice unit. Price seems fairly ok. Probably more than I need for a newbie but hey it is all good right lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts