Who wants to buy a PC for 10 grand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in for 4. Don't forget the "Save 10% on Dell Home Purchases" coupon code too. :)

I remember when a top of the line Pentium 120 was that price. Heck...I'm sure I saw a few 486 systems at that price too.

Nice machine!

$2400 in video cards
$1700 monitor
$300 sound card
$1400 CPU (based on the 3.2Ghz price)
$900 in hard disks
$250 in ram
$250 motherboard (based on the one quad PCIe x16 MB I found)

For a total of $7200 from NewEgg.com, and that doesn't include the other stuff not listed here (case, the monster power supply needed to run this rig, etc.). Also what kind of price can you put on a custom case paint job from Mike Lavallee.

riffjim4069 said:
All this for a discounted price of $7200 and free upgraded tech support...from East India!:p

I was just doing a quick price compare, Dell wants 10k for this machine. I wanted to see what I could put this machine together for.

Although all things considered I have better things to spend 10 grand on, lol. :)

Although I totally agree about the over-priced nature; they are really selling the custom one of a kind art work paint job done by the artist mentioned in the advertisement.

I have a friend who when a nice computers wer 800 bucks spent 5 grand. His computer is obsolete and he needs obscure memory that costs a fortune.

he would buy this if his wife didnt keep him restrained

I showed this to my wife last night, she looked at me with a smile and said I'm going to have you comitted, then I'll need part of that 10 grand for the lawyer I'm going to use to divorce you. She of course was kidding but I got her point. :)

As fast as computers/technology is changing these days it does not make much sense to put much money into a computer. Today's premium computer is tomorrow's basic computer which would eventually become outdated anyways. This laptop that I have now I paid about $1600 for it and it retailed for $1800 then. I could have gotten by with one that was almost half that cost as I do not need the ''extras'' but they were nice to have available in case I needed them.

The same goes for satellite. Just look at how many times these receivers and dishes have changed. I do not think it makes much sense to spend anymore than $200-300 on a receiver (that you get to own) seeing how the more expensive ones are to drop in price and improve.

So, Dell just made a cool $300K at a cost to them of, what, $190K? Not too shabby...

I just wonder how much heat that puppy puts out?

Last edited:
Foxbat said:
So, Dell just made a cool $300K at a cost to them of, what, $190K? Not too shabby...

Depends on how much they had to pay the artist Mike Lavallee. He was contracted to do the custom hand-painted artwork on each of them.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Depends on how much they had to pay the artist Mike Lavallee. He was contracted to do the custom hand-painted artwork on each of them.
True, maybe $100 in paint, but $50,000 for the ability to put it in the right place.:up Too bad it's a plastic case underneath that kewl paint job.:down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts