Who was alive during the Worst disaster in U.S. history?

Where's Grape Nehi when ya need it?
F940743182FF4C59A820221A9E9E7AFD.jpg

I’ll stick with my Dr Pepper! :D

I have cut way back on soda from years ago, and for years now only drink diet. But I still drink it. Diet Dr Pepper is my favorite Coke Zero my 2nd. There is an off brand copy of Coke's Fresca that I drink about as often as the others and it costs pennies to the major brands.

Reactions: TheKrell
Anybody still alive that had it when it had real cocaine in it? I don't think any of them are anything but corn syrup, food coloring, and carbonated water. Nothing "real" or new about any of them. But, doctors and dentists love them!

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell
"Throwback" Mountain Dew has definitely shown some staying power. Introduced in 2010 or thereabouts and now Pepsi lists it as a permanent product.

It is not a Pepsi product (though in some areas it is bottled by Pepsi bottlers) Why are they listing it in any way?

It is not a Pepsi product (though in some areas it is bottled by Pepsi bottlers) Why are they listing it in any way?

Mountain Dew has always been a pepsi product

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

At least since 1964, the other 24 years of its existence it belonged to a more private company.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Mountain Dew was bought by Pepsi in 1964. Sales took off in the 80s when they switched from a "hillbilly" theme to the current one. Originally it was a mixer for outright moonshine or cheap bourbon. The citrus flavor can smooth out the harshness of cheap liquor.

Anyway, Pepsi bought the product subject to existing bottler contracts. The way the industry works is a bottler has a territory, generally based on county lines, forever. So if a non-Pepsi bottler had a contract in 1964, they still do. Over the years Pepsi has acquired most of the grandfathered territories, but there are a few out of the way places, mostly in Virginia, where they still do not. You used to be able to tell because they did not use the Pepsi style bottle.

I find the product vile.

Reactions: mdonnelly
There was a fascinating book called, The Real Coke, The Real Story, that went into detail on how New Coke came to be, the responses to it by the public and Coke executives. It also had a brief history of Coke.

The bottom line, (reading the book) IMO, Coke was getting trounced by Pepsi in taste test (Pepsi challenge) and they responded by upping the sweetness of Coke and doing away with that fantastic jolt of Coke flavor. Test after test had people loving the new Coke and it beat Pepsi in taste test by a rather large margin. BUT....

They underestimated what Coke was. Not only in taste but as an American iconic product. It is really a good book.

they responded by upping the sweetness of Coke and doing away with that fantastic jolt of Coke flavor

That sums it up rather well, according to my taste buds. Classic Coke may be less sweet than New Coke, but it has no jolt of anything, any more. :crying

Might have worked if they hadn't changed the can...most people never would have noticed or cared if the can was the same
There was a fascinating book called, The Real Coke, The Real Story, that went into detail on how New Coke came to be, the responses to it by the public and Coke executives. It also had a brief history of Coke.

The bottom line, (reading the book) IMO, Coke was getting trounced by Pepsi in taste test (Pepsi challenge) and they responded by upping the sweetness of Coke and doing away with that fantastic jolt of Coke flavor. Test after test had people loving the new Coke and it beat Pepsi in taste test by a rather large margin. BUT....

They underestimated what Coke was. Not only in taste but as an American iconic product. It is really a good book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I recall seeing a documentary about this, don't recall the name. It mentioned how well-rigged the Pepsi challenge was. The fact that it was a sip test, the results would lean toward the sweeter drink. If you had someone take a longer drink then Coke was usually favored.

Another interesting article
FACT CHECK: New Coke Origins

But most of all, taste is not the only reason we drink brand X soda. I’d say maybe not even the most important reason.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Sun Drop is the citrus competitor from Dr. Pepper/Snapple that may be bottled and distributed by Pepsi, or may be bottled and distributed by Coke depending on who is responsible for Dr. Pepper Snapple Group products in your area. As said above, Mountain Dew is one of Pepsico's oldest brands and probably the one the promote the most besides Pepsi and Lays.