WHO will release on Blu-ray and not standard DVD FIRST?

Which studio will first release a title on Blu-ray exclusively?

• Disney

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Fox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lionsgate

• MGM

• New Line

• Paramount

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Universal

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Warner

• None

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Which studio do you think will be the first to release a major title on Blu-ray, with no plans to release it on standard DVD?

Probably Sony, and sometime around 2012. Chose Sony due to how they are handling Spider-Man 1 and 2 and how you can't get them unless you buy the trilogy, yet most of the BD players sold in the last 3 months came with 1 of the 3 movies you're paying $60+ for.

Actually, you're right- I should have included that as an option. But I can't edit the poll.

Seems like a good way to make sure a film gets little or no DVD revenue. Given the niche market of HDM (both BD and HD DVD) I think it would be absolutely foolish to release ONLY in a HDM.

So, I vote NONE.

CHanged OTHER to NONE. Could not figure out how to add another option (the choice just was not there), so I decided None would be better then Other, since most of the studios are already listed. ;)

maket pentration may change over time. I don't see it happening for awhile but it could happen a few years from now. As for reducing revenue well it certainly would now but eventually it might be possible to make more per unit on the exclsusive BD release and at least partially offset the lower volume.

Changed OTHER to NONE.

Thank you. I doubt Weinstein would be the first! :haha

Anyway, I suspect it will be done as a way of getting people to move to Blu-ray faster than they might otherwise. Certainly a loss of profits on the one title, but perhaps to be recouped over time and increased overall Blu-ray sales.

It could be well be a Smaller Studio (perhaps with one of the others doing the actual pressing). All it takes is one Producer/Director who owns or controls the rights to insist on only Blu-Ray.

I voted 2012, but that doesn't mean I expect it to be common at that point. More likely to be rare for a while even after it first happens.

It could be well be a Smaller Studio (perhaps with one of the others doing the actual pressing). All it takes is one Producer/Director who owns or controls the rights to insist on only Blu-Ray.

I voted 2012, but that doesn't mean I expect it to be common at that point. More likely to be rare for a while even after it first happens.

I agree. It will be a niche producer who insists that the product needs HD treatment to do it justice. Kind of like when the IMAX stuff first came out and it was only available on Laser, not VHS. I wish you had kept "other"

I believe it will be earlier than 2012, and I assume we are not talking about something like HD Video Essentials, which by its nature would be Blu only.

While HD Video Essentials is important to me, and I've had it pre-ordered for months, I wouldn't call it a "major release."

The major studios are going to do something to encourage movement up to Blu-ray. A Blu-ray only release will only be one of many.

Besides, the advantage of a Blu-ray only release is reduced likelihood of pirating. Or so they may hope.

None. The next "exclusive" video format will be some kind of UDTV. 4k x 4k pixels.

HD format is only a slight improvement over standard DVD considering all the great upconverting players.

So let's start a poll...... when do you think we will see UDTV as an optional video format?

While HD Video Essentials is important to me, and I've had it pre-ordered for months, I wouldn't call it a "major release."

The major studios are going to do something to encourage movement up to Blu-ray. A Blu-ray only release will only be one of many.

Besides, the advantage of a Blu-ray only release is reduced likelihood of pirating. Or so they may hope.

The best way to get people to transition to BD without losing money on DVD sales is to offer 1) earlier release on BD 2) exclusive features only on BD. DVD player penetration is so ubiquitous, from standalones, portables, in cars, in every computer. Though it will see a huge decline in the coming years, like CD sales, DVDs will exist as long as people are still getting media on a little plastic disc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)