Whole home configuration question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Steves55347

Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Minneapolis
I have 4 DVRs, 3 HD and one legacy (standard def) box. I had whole home professionally installed. Instatller used two 8 channel Msplit8r1-02 and commented how he had to balane the system since each dvr tuner had to be counted separately. Four hours of his tie and then erratic performance after that. Next day another 3 hours of tech time and he said "no, you can only have 8 tuners total on the system." But then he got all units working and said "i dont know why but it seems to be working, I'm leaving." Brilliant. That was about a month ago and performance can best be described as erratic. Receivers falling on and off the network. Reboots, reset the swim, reset network connections etc. Throw in some "searching for sat signal.." for extra fun. Yesterday I watched an entire show on one of the non DVR receivers (yes, victory!)but since then it cant see any playlists (despite resets, reboots etc.)

Current state is that DVRs can see one another, other receivers can't even though their DECAs indicate normal network activity. Current config is two dvrs and one HD on each Msplit8r; std def box is on legacy port on the swim.

Am i violating a limit on how many tuners can be set up on whole home? Any other thoughts on how to stabilize (and get non DVRs to see playlists)? Does it matter which ports on the Msplit8r are used? should port "caps" be used on the unused ports (does it matter?).
thanks

You said he used 2 8-ways? Did he install a SWM 16? You're currently trying to use 12 tuners but the normal SWM set up only works 8 max. You need a SWM 16 to be installed and the problems will stop. All unused ports need terminators on them.

Can you watch and record from any single DVR?

Sounds like a 16 should have been installed and instead he set each DVR to a single tuner just to get it to activate then left it like that.

Definitely need a SWM16.

I verified i have a swm16 installed. i capped all the unused ports as was suggested. Rebooted swm. now have lost all netwrok between DVRs even after reboots and manual attempts to reconnect (restore defaults, connect) ; this morning was getting choppy signal on both dvrs i had on. Going backwards.

Is it possible i have a coax problem? the installer reterminated all the coax going into the splitters which i thought was a good idea. I was considering disconnecting receivers one at a time in an effort to isolate a potential problem connection.

thanks for your thoughts so far. please continue with suggestions.

The 8-way splitters are an obvious mistake. There should be two 4-way, green label splitters to cover the seven SWiM boxes (I'm assuming that the legacy SD receiver is running off of a legacy output on the SWiM16).

Depending on the length and cable quality of the individual runs, the 8-ways are probably spreading the DECA signal too thin.

When you say that you "capped" the unused connectors (at least 8 by my count), did you use slip-on rubber covers or terminators (dummy loads)?

Hi,

Are both of the splitters the Green Swm Splitters? If they are, that is the problem the green splitters have a filter (similar but not as strong as the red bandstop filter) that filters out and does not pass MRV/Decca signal. The filter is there so that mrv communications don't flood your swm8 switch/lnb with such a strong reverse RF signal from the decca adapter. The SWM8 and SWM 32 switchs both have built in diplexors in the switch sending the MRV/Decca to the Off Air input/output, so filtered green splitters are not needed. Through field experience I have found an issue where when daisy-chained or run in parralel as your system is. these green swm splitters can filter out the decca signal so well that the boxes can't see each other and/or the internet. For best results, the splitter that does not have the decca addapter connected to it should be switched from 8 way green to 4 way NON Green lable MFH2/SWM splitter (our part# SWS4) this one does not have the filter, and will let your boxes talk again. The other 8 way green splitter could be switched to a 4way green splitter, but it may not be necessary. Contrary to Directv's instructions to their installers, There should only be one Green SWM splitter in any standard residential SWM installation and that is the one closest to the SWM switch/lnb.

The other thing that can mess with a swm install is Diplexors. if there are any diplexors PM me for a solution.

I hope this helps.
Chip

Hope this helps

harshness said:
The 8-way splitters are an obvious mistake. There should be two 4-way, green label splitters to cover the seven SWiM boxes (I'm assuming that the legacy SD receiver is running off of a legacy output on the SWiM16).

Depending on the length and cable quality of the individual runs, the 8-ways are probably spreading the DECA signal too thin.

When you say that you "capped" the unused connectors (at least 8 by my count), did you use slip-on rubber covers or terminators (dummy loads)?

No, 8 ways is what he's suppose to have. Just because the SWM 16 is installed doesn't mean 2 4 ways will give you 16 tuners. He still needs the 8 ways

No, 8 ways is what he's suppose to have. Just because the SWM 16 is installed doesn't mean 2 4 ways will give you 16 tuners. He still needs the 8 ways

I'm sorry but Yes it does ! You should only be installing a splitter large enough to cover the number of receivers without going beyond eight tuners per SWM switch ouptput. 4 way splitters have half the loss of 8way splitters, so if you have 4 dvrs, you would want to use one SWM output with a 4way SWM splitter. the only reason to use an 8way SWM splitter is if you are putting more than 4 receivers on a swm line. ie ( 2 HDDVRS and 3 HD receivers) 5 receivers but only 7 tuners so all could be on one swm output.

Pateco is completely correct on this. Each DVR or receiver needs to be connected to the multiswitch by a SINGLE cable, that will drive either one or two tuners. The DVR has an internal splitter to drive the two tuners. So four DVRs need four connections, i.e. an SWM4. Using an SWM8 when you only need an SWM4 reduces the signal strength to each DVR by 50%

My question is then why is it not recommended to hook up an HR34 straight from the LNB without putting in atleast a 4 way? Or why I have 3 HDDVRS and when I hook up a 4 way it pulls up 771b? Because a 4 way is recommend for 4 tuners and an 8 way it recommended eight tuners.

My question is then why is it not recommended to hook up an HR34 straight from the LNB without putting in atleast a 4 way? Or why I have 3 HDDVRS and when I hook up a 4 way it pulls up 771b? Because a 4 way is recommend for 4 tuners and an 8 way it recommended eight tuners.

It is all about the internal circuitry of the SWM system.

mcintire123 said:
It is all about the internal circuitry of the SWM system.

What's that suppose to mean? The way it's being told to me you're able to use 8 HDDVRS on an eight way SWM splitter just because the eight way has the ports for eight lines. I guess I'm just confused on this whole manner

What's that suppose to mean?
That's a awfully good question.
The way it's being told to me you're able to use 8 HDDVRS on an eight way SWM splitter just because the eight way has the ports for eight lines. I guess I'm just confused on this whole manner
You can only run 8 tuners off of each SWiM port so there can be up to four (4) DVRs (assuming you want to use both tuners on each DVR).

In the case of the OP, the installer used 8-way splitters where 4-ways should have been used.

My question is then why is it not recommended to hook up an HR34 straight from the LNB without putting in atleast a 4 way?
If the HR34 is the only receiver on the account there is no need for a splitter. Cable from LNB to PI and out to HR34
Splitter only needed if you have more than 1 receiver set up :)

Iceberg said:
If the HR34 is the only receiver on the account there is no need for a splitter. Cable from LNB to PI and out to HR34
Splitter only needed if you have more than 1 receiver set up :)

Berg I understand this HOWEVER Directv is telling us installers that the HR-34 isn't recommended with use without a splitter This is why I'm so perplexed on what is actually the case. 8 way runs 8 tuners, 4 way runs 4? What's exactly the trust?

Berg I understand this HOWEVER Directv is telling us installers that the HR-34 isn't recommended with use without a splitter This is why I'm so perplexed on what is actually the case. 8 way runs 8 tuners, 4 way runs 4? What's exactly the trust?
The number of the split makes no difference. An 8 way will run 8 tuners but so will a 2 way. the key is that each ouput from a SWM LNB/Multiswitch will only support 8 total tuners. Splitters should therefore be optimized for the lowest amount of signal loss that will still support the number of receiver boxes you are supporting. If you are only putting in 4 boxes then a 4 way splitter would be prefered to an 8 way splitter. The reason Directv wants at least one splitter in an installation (even a single HR34) is to prevent the MRV signal from flooding and disrupting the SWM LNB with unneeded noise. The green lable splitters have a filter in the 475Mhz to 625Mhz range to do this. You could use a bandsop filter on the SWM power inserter and get the same result with no green label splitter.

I hope this helped.

The green lable splitters have a filter in the 475Mhz to 625Mhz range to do this. You could use a bandsop filter on the SWM power inserter and get the same result with no green label splitter.
In the case of a SWiM16, wouldn't you then want to avoid using green label splitters so the SWiM will bridge the DECA segments?

In the case of a SWiM16, wouldn't you then want to avoid using green label splitters so the SWiM will bridge the DECA segments?

Yes, but the MRV signal is so strong it will still go through one Green lable splitter without so much losss that the other leg of the SWM 16 can't see it. The green splitter has a filter and not a blocker.

On a SWM16 I would use one green lable splitter on the SWM leg that has the Decca adapter. If this causes you to have an MRV communication problem with the other leg, then I would use no green label splitters..

PATECO said:
The number of the split makes no difference. An 8 way will run 8 tuners but so will a 2 way. the key is that each ouput from a SWM LNB/Multiswitch will only support 8 total tuners. Splitters should therefore be optimized for the lowest amount of signal loss that will still support the number of receiver boxes you are supporting. If you are only putting in 4 boxes then a 4 way splitter would be prefered to an 8 way splitter. The reason Directv wants at least one splitter in an installation (even a single HR34) is to prevent the MRV signal from flooding and disrupting the SWM LNB with unneeded noise. The green lable splitters have a filter in the 475Mhz to 625Mhz range to do this. You could use a bandsop filter on the SWM power inserter and get the same result with no green label splitter.

I hope this helped.

Agreed. Just throw a 2 way In there and you'll be good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)