Whole Home DVR Not Connected??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Murph74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hi, got a new install with the HR24 and H24 IRD's. Everything was fine as far as I know until tonight when I tried to look at the playlist from the H24. It kept freezing the box when it was 'updating' the "My Playlist". Both units were connected to coax for satellite and ethernet.

It was suggested by Tech Support that maybe we unhook the ethernet from the H24 (slave) and try using the DECA connection. I did that, no dice. The IRD's aren't seeing each other now. I'm about to unhook the ethernet from the HR24 (master) and see if they connect via DECA then. I'm hoping if so, I can then reconnect the ethernet cable for on-demand usage.

Anyone had any similar issues or problems like this? Anyone know if the DVR (master) can be ethernet connected while the standard IRD (slave) is NOT ethernet connected? Kind of at a loss here. Tech is scheduled for 6/27 visit, but that a freakin week away! Thanks for any input! I'll report back if I fingure anything out, too!

do you have deca broadband or power adapter? if its the adapter that could be your problem. i had a problem sunday night and called dtv. first, i was told that dtv is not supporting the power adapter connections. second, she wrote a report and said a tech should call me monday to set up a time to install the deca broadband.

fortunately, my connection problem was just a power strip that a cat had turned off.

if you don't have deca broadband, contact dtv and ask for networking department. that is who i eventually spoke with. hope that helps.

It was suggested by Tech Support that maybe we unhook the ethernet from the H24 (slave) and try using the DECA connection. I did that, no dice.
The H24 and HR24 will only switch between DECA or the RJ45 Ethernet connection after a reset. If there is a cable plugged in to the Ethernet port on boot up, it disables the DECA interface.

To be able to access on-demand you either need a separate DECA adapter that plugs back into your network (the DECA Broadband Adapter), or both the receivers need to be connected by hard-wired Ethernet. If you go the hard-wired Ethernet route you'll want to make sure you put in a switch and not use the LAN ports on your router. The LAN ports on a router are connected via a software bridging process that doesn't have the same performance as a separate switch, which can have a negative impact on MRV playback.

You should not be using the ethernet ports on the HR24 or the H24. As expaeth said, they have built in DECA, so you do not need a DECA adapter on those boxes and you should not be using the ethernet port.

Do you have other receivers or just those two? If they are the only two you are using, disconnect the ethernet cables. Go through satellite setup again. All the way through it, select the SWiM configuration you have even if it already shows up. It will take a couple of minutes. Re-boot the receiver. The built in DECA will be enabled and you should begin to see the playslist on both receivers.

You will need a DECA adapter and power supply to connect to your home internet. If you asked for the internet connection when you signed up for HHDVR service, they should come out and fix it for free. If you didn't, you can call them and they will send you one or send someone out to install it for you correctly....you can also order them from Solid Signal.

It's unfortunate that the Techs are still not up to speed on MRV/DECA. You have to educate them a little.

You should not be using the ethernet ports on the HR24 or the H24. As expaeth said, they have built in DECA, so you do not need a DECA adapter on those boxes and you should not be using the ethernet port.

Do you have other receivers or just those two? If they are the only two you are using, disconnect the ethernet cables. Go through satellite setup again. All the way through it, select the SWiM configuration you have even if it already shows up. It will take a couple of minutes. Re-boot the receiver. The built in DECA will be enabled and you should begin to see the playslist on both receivers.

You will need a DECA adapter and power supply to connect to your home internet. If you asked for the internet connection when you signed up for HHDVR service, they should come out and fix it for free. If you didn't, you can call them and they will send you one or send someone out to install it for you correctly....you can also order them from Solid Signal.

It's unfortunate that the Techs are still not up to speed on MRV/DECA. You have to educate them a little.

no, he needs broadband deca. i was told sunday night that dtv isn't supporting the deca and power supply hookup to internet because they have been bombarded with phone calls from customers whose mrv isn't working properly. the broadband deca wasn't available in may when the program went national which is why many of us got the other installation.

Hmmm... Not a huge deal to use the in-place ethernet cables, but the original problem is that it wasn't working.

Kinda of odd in design to me that the DECA won't work while the DVR is Ethernet connected. Really don't like the idea of giving up On-Demand for WH-DVR, and adding extra equip to prevent that seems silly and costly as well.

If you're talking about the power inserter, there is one with a 4 way splitter (that has a coax jumper coming from the power inserter to the port saying 'SWM IN').

Guess my next question would be, if this turns out to be a pain, I'm just going to drop this second receiver and stay with my main DVR. As it's installed, I have the main DVR mirrored to 3 other TV's using the Channel 3 Coax Output and RF remotes.

Any suggestions for the best way to possibly get HD video to a second HDTV? I know I can run using the RF out, but not sure I'll be happy with the SD pic over coax to an HDTV, and not sure how easy I can do multiple HDTV outputs from one HD source. In place now is the HR24 running over component cables to my HD Projector, and the RF out going to the other SD TV's.

The 2nd IRD is still not working right, and still have a tech appointment for Sunday afternoon.

Thanks, folks!

hey murph, i gave you bum info because tech support gave it to me. i can't resolve your problem. but i will tell you that dtv is indeed supporting deca plus p1 internet connection kits.

i probably have spent over an hour with dtv about this since sunday evenin. i apologize for any confusion.

Kinda of odd in design to me that the DECA won't work while the DVR is Ethernet connected. Really don't like the idea of giving up On-Demand for WH-DVR, and adding extra equip to prevent that seems silly and costly as well.
DECA is basically Ethernet over coax cable.

The receiver can only attach to one network, so you either need to attach to the coax network and then get a DECA Broadband adapter to connect the coax-based network back to your router to get to the Internet, or connect all the receivers via Ethernet so they can see each other your standard network for MRV and get access to the Internet via the same network connection.

no, he needs broadband deca. i was told sunday night that dtv isn't supporting the deca and power supply hookup to internet because they have been bombarded with phone calls from customers whose mrv isn't working properly. the broadband deca wasn't available in may when the program went national which is why many of us got the other installation.

I haven't heard that. I knew the official "Broadband DECA" modules weren't out yet, but the work around has been working fine if installed correctly. That is where the problem is. My understanding that the broadband DECA isn't anything different that a DECA adapter and power supply with a different name on it. The broadband DECA has no effect on MRV only on DOD.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the power inserter, there is one with a 4 way splitter (that has a coax jumper coming from the power inserter to the port saying 'SWM IN').

The power inserter you are talking about is the SWiM power supply. A seperate DECA adapter would be placed next to your router. It has it's own power supply that goes into the coax port that would normally connect to the receiver on the DECA adapter. An ethernet cable would go from the adapter to your router.

If you disconnect the ethernet cables, redo satellite setup and reboot the boxes, the internal DECA's will work and MRV will work. When DirecTV gets there they can hook up the other adapter for your DOD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts