Whole home dvr problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andyman33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone with any ideas? We have whole home dvr...was working great. Got the deca broadband installed as it should have been on initial install and I tested whole home dvr on one tv before he left and it worked fine...I went to the other TVs tonight. No dice. Called directv and she restarted them over and over again...sent some info to tr receivers. Still only one receiver is connecting to the whole h home dvr. The other two are giving me the to do list screen only. How could one work and two others not. I tried forcing a download of most recent firmware on h25 but still no dice. It makes no sense to me at all. I get fine satellite signal...and it works on one of the h25s. ThR hedge is hr25-500(I think that is the box). 3 h25's. Tech lady was stumped and said to give it time to see if it reconnects. Deca broadband is working fine for on demand and there is no Ethernet attached to the hddvr itself. Ideas?

I agree with Claude. Go to menu<setup<system setup<whole home<status to see what it tells you there.

Are the "non working" receivers on a different splitter? Might want to check to make sure the caps/terminators are on any unused ports.

Periodically had a similar problem. The H24 would occasionally disconnect from the HR24-500. It usually would reconnect itself after a while. But if it did not, unplugging the H24 or hitting the reset would restore it. Don't ask me what is going on here. I have just learned to live with it. It has not happened for some time now, but having said that, it will probably happen today.

Andyman,
If I understand your situation correctly, you just upgraded to a SWM whole home DVR setup with essentially a new install. When you say you tested the whole home DVR it sounds like you just tested it on the actual DVR not on any of the "remote" receivers. This is the assumption I am making. If I am correct, your "whole home" has probably never worked; you are just seeing your local DVR. (The internet connection kit is only applicable for video on demand so that does not need to be in the whole home DVR discussion.) This is exactly the same situation I had with our install. Except I tested it while the tech was here and he had to fix it. (I am also assuming that whole home DVR is authorized on your receivers since you have already had tech support on this issue.)

What we discovered was that the units need to be initialized just like a home IP network. DirecTV's installer tech support had my installer turn off and disconnect each receiver then disconnect the power inserter. They told him to wait a minute and then plug in the power inserter first. Then they told him to plug in one receiver and let it come up completely. They told him to do the same thing for the other DVR and receiver. When everything was up and running everything was fine. I would certainly give this a try. If this doesn't work you probably need to get a service tech out to see what the problem is.

Bob

Andyman,
If I understand your situation correctly, you just upgraded to a SWM whole home DVR setup with essentially a new install. When you say you tested the whole home DVR it sounds like you just tested it on the actual DVR not on any of the "remote" receivers. This is the assumption I am making. If I am correct, your "whole home" has probably never worked; you are just seeing your local DVR. (The internet connection kit is only applicable for video on demand so that does not need to be in the whole home DVR discussion.) This is exactly the same situation I had with our install. Except I tested it while the tech was here and he had to fix it. (I am also assuming that whole home DVR is authorized on your receivers since you have already had tech support on this issue.)

What we discovered was that the units need to be initialized just like a home IP network. DirecTV's installer tech support had my installer turn off and disconnect each receiver then disconnect the power inserter. They told him to wait a minute and then plug in the power inserter first. Then they told him to plug in one receiver and let it come up completely. They told him to do the same thing for the other DVR and receiver. When everything was up and running everything was fine. I would certainly give this a try. If this doesn't work you probably need to get a service tech out to see what the problem is.

Bob

I was just having the same problem and this worked perfectly!!! Thanks Bob, now I can cancel my service call.

Andyman,

Bob

That sounds exactly like what happened when they installed my system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.