Whole home DVR w/HR20?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pinkcookies26

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Is it possible to set up the Whole home DVR with two HR20's? Both have cat5 running to them off of a router. I spoke to Dtv a while back and they said they could send out a tech to install a part that I would need for $50 and another CSR said I would need a $200 upgrade in equipment. I have had Dtv for 13 years now and I am two years out of contract so I figure I could probably get a sweet upgrade deal if I re-up for another two years if this isn't possible with my receivers. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

At the very least you would need 2 DECA adapters DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter DECA (DECA1MR01) from Solid Signal ,& a wired cinema connection kit DIRECTV DECA Broadband with power supply (DECABB1R0) from Solid Signal if your router is close to your DTV coaxial cable,or a wireless cinema connection kit DIRECTV CCK-W Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W) from Solid Signal if your router isn't. This way the internet connection would run through the coaxial cable. If you have the type of HR20 that requires both satellite 1 & satellite 2 input to be hooked up,even if & when you have SWM(single cable from the LNB allowing for only 1 satellite input to be hooked up & not both),then you need a band stop filter DIRECTV Band Stop Filter (BSFR01) from Solid Signal to hook up to the second satellite input(satellite 2) while the DECA adapter is hooked up to the primary satellite input(satellite 1).

Wow...sounds like I should try for an upgrade deal. I only have two receivers and do not need anymore than that. So if I want the Whole home DVR and be able to access internet from receiver what new receivers should I try to get? Thanks.

I went to my services and the link to "enable Whole Home DVR" is grayed out and says "not eligable" call to enable service.

Wow...sounds like I should try for an upgrade deal. I only have two receivers and do not need anymore than that. So if I want the Whole home DVR and be able to access internet from receiver what new receivers should I try to get? Thanks.

It all depends on what you want. The HR24 doesn't need to be hooked up by ethernet cable if you also go with the wired or wireless cinema connection kit. The CCK hooks up both to your router,either by ethernet cable for the wired CCK,or wirelessly to your router for the wireless CCK,& then it also hooks up to your DTV coaxial cable & runs the internet signal coaxially to your HR20,or if you upgrade,to your HR24. Now,you can go for the big Enchilada & get the HR34 HMC. With the 2-tuner HR24,you'd still need the CCK.but with the 5-tuner HR34,you'd only need to hook it up by ethernet cable & it'll run internet connections through the coaxial cable. You could trade in your HR20's for 2 HR24's plus CCK,or for a HR34(plus upgrade price,I think $99.00,but someone else can give you a better answer on that) & a H25 HD receiver that you could place in the other room where your other HR20 is. If you are willing to pay for an upgrade,you might as well go for the big Enchilada.

You can also call & see if they can set up "unsupported MRV" where it would just run through your ethernet cables & you ONLY pay $3.00(or is it $4.00 now?) monthly for MRV whole home service.

if you only have one DVR in a whole home setup do you have to schedule a recording on the DVR or can you tell the DVR to do it through the regular HD receiver? Thanks for all the info by the way.

Sweet! Ok, I think I will try and do the mrv thru the cat5 and see what happens then work the upgrade angle. Thanks again.

Tell them you want unsupported MRV service. If they give you a hard time,try the email route. It worked for me & a lot of other people on this board in getting MRV while not having to upgrade any equipment. I eventually got all of my adapters 3rd party & installed them myself,but I have a lot of free time too. Good luck & let us know how it turns out for you.

When you say "named both dvr's", what's that mean and how did you do it? And then you called Dtv to activate the service not online?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)