Whole Home + Internet Hook up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drceddc

Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I've just switched from Dish to Direct. So far, excellent, especially the whole home feature. One issue that has come up, is connecting the HR24-500 to my router. Last weekend, when I connected it to my router, it wasn't recognized until I rebooted the receivers. It connected fine, but lost the whole home connection. After disconnecting the router, and rebooting both, the whole home came back up. I called Direct, and I think the tech person was saying you can't have both at the same time. Is this the case? Thanks for any info/help on this.

If you have the DECA Whole House DVR installation, then you can't connect the DVR to your network using ethernet.

If you're trying to get On Demand working, then you need the Internet Connection Kit (ICK).
This bridges the DECA to your interent.

If you have whole home, you need the internet connection kit. DTV is installing the kit for free or $49 right now, which ever you qualify for...It works great at my house.

I am in the same situation (I think) I can use one or the other. What I need to know is, do I need an internet connection kit? because I have an external DECA. It is a white adapter, with green label. One end has a coax plug labeled "Towards LNB" the other end has an ethernet port and a little coax wire labeled "Sat receiver/Power". Will this bridge my coax to the network?

I have the following.

HR24
H24
H24
Power supply connected at the HR24
Ethernet jack at the HR24 that is plugged into router at the other end.

Thanks for the replies if I get any.

You need a DECA with a power supply or a Broadband DECA at you router. A coax cable is ran to either that goes back the the SWM splitter. This gives you the internet connection over the coax. Connecting any of the receivers Ethernet port to you router will remove that receiver from the Whole-Home system.

You need a DECA with a power supply or a Broadband DECA at you router. A coax cable is ran to either that goes back the the SWM splitter. This gives you the internet connection over the coax. Connecting any of the receivers Ethernet port to you router will remove that receiver from the Whole-Home system.

Lets say I have 2 wires from the SWM that are run to the location of the HR24, the HR24 is only using one of those wires. That leaves me a wire to the SWM, an ethernet port for the network and then one wire from the DECA that says to go to receiver. Does that need to be plugged in somewhere? Would plugging it in to the available plug on the HR24 give it power?

Lets say I have 2 wires from the SWM that are run to the location of the HR24, the HR24 is only using one of those wires. That leaves me a wire to the SWM, an ethernet port for the network and then one wire from the DECA that says to go to receiver. Does that need to be plugged in somewhere? Would plugging it in to the available plug on the HR24 give it power?

The DECA or DECA Broadband has to be at you router. That then connects to your router. Then internet is supplied to the H24/HR24's through the built in DECA's over the coax.

Basic is Cable from dish to SWM splitter. Coax Cables go from splitter to receiver locations and to you router, where a DECA or DECA BB will conect to your router. Internet is then supplied to H24/HR24 receivers with built in DECA. Older receivers will have an outboard DECA that plugs into their eithernt connection i.e 21, 22 and 23 series units.

Do not connect anything to the Eithernet port of an HR24/H24 as this will disable the built in DECA unit, thus the Whole-Home will not work on that unit.

The DECA or DECA Broadband has to be at you router. That then connects to your router. Then internet is supplied to the H24/HR24's through the built in DECA's over the coax.

Basic is Cable from dish to SWM splitter. Coax Cables go from splitter to receiver locations and to you router, where a DECA or DECA BB will conect to your router. Internet is then supplied to H24/HR24 receivers with built in DECA. Older receivers will have an outboard DECA that plugs into their eithernt connection i.e 21, 22 and 23 series units.

Do not connect anything to the Eithernet port of an HR24/H24 as this will disable the built in DECA unit, thus the Whole-Home will not work on that unit.

OK, I hear that. I suppose I am simply asking, what is different about the deca being at the exact location of the router rather than being at a location of an ethernet jack that is wired into the router? How would the DECA know that it isn't plugged straight into the router if it was plugged into an ethernet port that is?

Then I am asking if the 2nd coax plug on the HR24 will provide power to the DECA rather than using a power supply (ordered power supply from solid signal) The deca is directly wired with coax to the MRV splitter and has an ethernet connection to the router right now. I just need to get it juiced :)

OK, I hear that. I suppose I am simply asking, what is different about the deca being at the exact location of the router rather than being at a location of an ethernet jack that is wired into the router? How would the DECA know that it isn't plugged straight into the router if it was plugged into an ethernet port that is?

Ok yes this would work just fine.

Then I am asking if the 2nd coax plug on the HR24 will provide power to the DECA rather than using a power supply (ordered power supply from solid signal) The deca is directly wired with coax to the MRV splitter and has an ethernet connection to the router right now. I just need to get it juiced :)

Not sure on this, but I think it should work.

Ok yes this would work just fine.

Not sure on this, but I think it should work.

It actually does, but then after the receiver starts up, it kills the power. So then I tried to power it from the MRV switch power supply, which also works, but strips the power from the MRV switch. For some reason, it cannot power both at the same time from the same wire. It is either one or the other. SO.... I wait until I get my power supply from Solid Signal. Heck, I have signal amps from them all over the place from when I was on Dish and trying to get local channels in HD for my DVR. I wonder if that sends power? Probably not :)

Thanks for the info guys, I was so frustrated after install, this is my second round of Direct TV, always liked the product and even the installers, but this last time, they didn't provision the install with a deca/internet kit even though my order was for internet+Whole home DVR.
He told me exactly what I needed but that he couldnt get it out there for a few days, so he would have another guy bring it out the next day.

Next day, a new guy shows up, who then immediately claims that I do not need the DECA, that the H24 and HR24's have them built in. To which I responded "correct, but it needs to be hooked up to the internet" His reply was "Oh that dont matter, just hook everything up to the receiver and it should work, if it doesn't, it is a bad receiver and we have had LOTS of those"

I tried to explain that the first tech was all over it and was adament that the system would not work without a secondary way to connect to the network. He belittled me by saying that I was not an expert, that he was an expert and that he was a supervisor. Then asked me who I believed more, the tech or him. He didnt like my answer. told me that my receiver was bad and that he would have another one in a few days.

So during that time, I decided to test things out for myself, I simply disconnected the ethernet cable and bingo, MRV is working great. So it was obvious the first tech was right. The problem was, I have the deca, but Einstein didn't leave me a power supply! DOH! Well at least I have MRV now, which was way more important than the internet (according to the wife)

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)