Whole House DVR

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Anyone know if this is on the horizon for E*? That wuld be great to have.

I doubt it, but it sounds like a good idea!

I would like to see a 4-tuner DVR (perhaps rack-mountable) with at least 4 independent outputs (both HDMI and RF). All channels should be tunable with UHF remotes. External storage is a must. This wouldn't be a box that would sit in the living room next to the TV, but rather one that would sit in my communications closet with the appropriate cables running throughout the house.

It's been talked about before and they have demonstrated something that uses a media server (I think it was at CES), but for now I'm fine with sending the signal from my 722 and 622 to the other TVs in the house via the home distribution plug on the back of the boxes.

Attachments

• dp777.jpg
    dp777.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 608
Home Distribution Plug?

It's been talked about before and they have demonstrated something that uses a media server (I think it was at CES), but for now I'm fine with sending the signal from my 722 and 622 to the other TVs in the house via the home distribution plug on the back of the boxes.

Are you talking about the TV2 out something else. If it is something can you explain more thoroughly, I might want to do that.

for 80 percent of the customers it would work great and have no issues, but 20 percent of the people would call like crazy and asking questions about why can I see TV4 or it does work the way it should. It would be a nightmare for the call centers. To build the box it would be easy after doing the 2 room receiver.

for 80 percent of the customers it would work great and have no issues, but 20 percent of the people would call like crazy and asking questions about why can I see TV4 or it does work the way it should. It would be a nightmare for the call centers. To build the box it would be easy after doing the 2 room receiver.

You're probably right. I have a feeling Scott would have to get a completely dedicated server just for the DISH forums if that receiver came out.

Are you talking about the TV2 out something else. If it is something can you explain more thoroughly, I might want to do that.

The 622 and 722 have HomePlug (aka DishComm) built-in. If other receivers in the home also had HomePlug built it, they could potentially receive recordings streamed from the 622/722.

The 622 and 722 have HomePlug (aka DishComm) built-in. If other receivers in the home also had HomePlug built it, they could potentially receive recordings streamed from the 622/722.

So with HomePlug built in, can multiple 622/722's currently "talk" to each other and share DVR recordings back and forth?

While the technology exists to make this possible, there are a few problems:

It was stated on a recent Tech Forum that prototypes of multi-tuner HD DVR's (more than the current 3 HD tuners) were built, but they found that the hard-drives were getting beat fast and that they would come the end of their life far sooner than current HD DVR's.

As for the whole home solution, it is the content providers, movie studios--the usual suspects--who are against this, unless it can be shown that signals can be sent using a whole home solution in a very secure method that meets the content owners' high standards. This is why both Dish and Direct abandoned--temporarily?--their wireless whole home solution a few years ago. This also relates to some of the many restrictions currently imposed for use of the external HDD for the HD DVR's: content providers demanded it.

It has taken Dish years, no exaggeration, of negotiation and research to give us the kind of technology we demand but must also allay the content owners' fears of piracy. It will come some day, real whole home solutions that pass muster with the content owners, but it won't be easy or too soon.

I got to be honest.... This is the most exciting thing I can remember coming from Dish Network. This is the future of Satellite Television!

Sort of, the one thing that the DirecTV who house system has that the Dish one does not is that the DirecTV solution will transmit to TV's via wireless using a customized version of 802.11n.

Of course since the DirecTV solution is still a secret and no one is not supposed to know about it, I can't say more then that. ;)

Scott, you seemed pretty darned excited about these things from Dish and Direct a couple of years ago. What is it that killed the ideas.

Probably the difference in what goes on in an Engineers mind verses being able to make it work in the physical world, I'll bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)