Who's got the best SD PQ? dish or directv?

Ricknau

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
Someone in another thread compared Dish's SD picture quality to old streaming video. Lot's of compression "artifacts". That matches my experience from almost a year ago which prompted me to drop Dish and try Voom after I got a 50" TV. On the bigger screen the blockiness was so much more evident that I just couldn't take it. But, of course, Voom is no more so I have to find a new home. No cable where I live, satellite is my only option.

So my question is:

Of those of you who have experience with both Dish and Directv, which has the better SD quality. Or asked another way: Does Directv's SD PQ suck as bad as Dish's?

I'll ask this in the Directv forum also. I need to pick real soon if I want to avoid a black spell. Actually it's probably too late for that.

To the naked eye you can't tell a difference, but if you want to run a bunch of equipment and number, I'm pretty sure dish has the better compression/pq quality.

Fact- soon to be documenteds

I am working on a a review called the Great HD DVR shoot out as I have both Direct TV and DIshnetwork right now.

Side by Side, Fact- Dish is better with HD

Fact- Both Dish and Direct TV are just as good with SD for almost all of the same channels.

Fact- Direct TV does there Fox owned cable and local stations better than Dish, After all Fox owns part of Direct TV in a way.

Fact- Dish seems to also have better on some Channels that they own stock in and that they have interests in.

Fact- depending on the spot beam some are better that others (dont ask how I tested this).

Bottom line:

If you want HD, go with Dish
Then its jsut a hit and miss, both have good channel quality and sometimes they have bad.

Someday I hope to be able to back these statements of fact up with documented proof. Anyone know how?

Neither Dish nor Directv can hold a candle to Voom's PQ if that's what you're asking. I have Dish right now but on Friday I get my Directivo's installed. I'll let you know what I think of the PQ difference. If any. I'm just getting SD right now though as HD Dvr's on both is just too expensive.

IMHO Direct has a better SD picture quality merely because its blended better than dishs. They really are the same TBH but Direct looks better to the naked eye... I went from dish to direct and have to say i am more pleased with direct overall... Dish was good though.

I have a neighbor with Direct, he switched to Dish, SD, both have some good, some not so good, it's a toss up. HD, Dish PQ is much better, Quality over quanity for now.

Dish, it's DVR, Direct it's TIVo, that may make your choice easier.

sprintcarcrazy said:
I have a neighbor with Direct, he switched to Dish, SD, both have some good, some not so good, it's a toss up. HD, Dish PQ is much better, Quality over quanity for now.

Dish, it's DVR, Direct it's TIVo, that may make your choice easier.
I have both in Hd and Sd... I think D* might have a slight edge in sd Pq... but E* has the edge in Hd.. different compression on different channels though... both Scifi channels look good as does soapnet... ( I guess they dont want to alienate the audience :) )

ShadowEKU said:
IMHO Direct has a better SD picture quality merely because its blended better than dishs. They really are the same TBH but Direct looks better to the naked eye... I went from dish to direct and have to say i am more pleased with direct overall... Dish was good though.

"Naked eye" Is there any other way?
"To be honest" You feed us BS sometimes?

;) Just couldn't resist.

I just recently (about a month ago) got directv installed because that's what my apartment went with, and I notice a lot more artifacts than when I had Dish Network. It is a different TV, so maybe that could be it, but I was really surprised at how much worse it looked, with the TV back at my parents house it was rare for me to notice any artifacts besides on local channels. Take it as you will, but I think Direct's channels are even more compressed than Dish's.

One thing is for sure, had Direct TV HD, never got any WOWs from freind over and with me showing them Discovery HD.

With Dish, in just the first Month MANY WOWs.

Dish wins the WOW factor for HD, It just knocks you out of the room its so clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts