Who's had to clean snow off your dish?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
I've had to three times since noon. Over six inches of expected 10-12" in Indianapolis.

Tampa, Rey...try to resist.;)

We just got an inch and it was blowing from the wrong side so house blocked it from accumulating on dish as opposed to 2 weeks ago and the inch of ice that accumulated on dish and screwed up signal.

Maybe we could put our dishes inside domes like big radars have (DEW line). And even shoot hot air in there, in case snow and ice stick to the dome!

Actually, remember those fake rock covers they used to sell to hide your sat dish? Whatever happened to those? And did they help reception in bad weather?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

we have dish heaters on the 2 dishes at the top of the apt complex....but they only seem to work when its around 25-30 degrees. Otherwise we need the sun to melt the snow

we have dish heaters on the 2 dishes at the top of the apt complex....but they only seem to work when its around 25-30 degrees. Otherwise we need the sun to melt the snow

On the dish, but nothing on the LNB?

The Christmas holidays were a disaster with my EA dish. Ice storm. Coated both the LNB's and the dish itself. Took a week until I got reception back. I can't get to the dish to clean it off so I just grunt and bear it....:(

I laugh at your snow,from 2 weeks ago; 100_0490.JPG

I don't know if it's the design but we are at a good 7-8 inches of snow thus far and no issues and I know it's covered with snow

My dish is under the eaves and is EA and pretty protected so snow generally isn't an issue. Blowing snow can be at times though.

That said, we dodged a bullet on this one. Last call this AM was for 5-8", but the snow came in from the NW instead of up from the south as they thought it would. Looking out the window, I doubt we got 3" though it did drift a bit. Now comes the cold!!! Tomorrow's high predicted to be -1 and for here, that is darned cold and I can't remember the last time we had a high of that!

11 inches so far. Got colder, so not sticking to dish. 15 below by 5AM.

Not here in southeast Texas. We have had no more rain ,just cold. It was around 60 something yesterday and they are predicting I think 24 for the morning with wind chills in the teens. That's southeast Texas for you: IF you don't like the weather , just wait a bit , it will change again.

The Christmas holidays were a disaster with my EA dish. Ice storm. Coated both the LNB's and the dish itself. Took a week until I got reception back. I can't get to the dish to clean it off so I just grunt and bear it....:(

You are DEFINITELY a candidate for dish heaters!

I hope you had plenty of DVR'd material.

We've got about a foot of snow but I have ZERO on my EA dish on the roof.;) I've had 3 small Katz heaters (made for engine blocks,etc., available from Amazon) stuck to the backside for 3 years now. When it starts to snow I plug in the extension cord that runs up to the dish, problem solved. Just wish I'd ran a heat cable around the LNB's arm. The snow is right up to the LNBs but no problem yet.

Ed

There's plenty of blowing snow here in Chitown but no signal issues yet, but I'd swept it anyway since I was already shoveling outside, Plus I was recording football games that I didn't want interrupted.

My dish is under the eaves and is EA and pretty protected so snow generally isn't an issue. Blowing snow can be at times though.

That said, we dodged a bullet on this one. Last call this AM was for 5-8", but the snow came in from the NW instead of up from the south as they thought it would. Looking out the window, I doubt we got 3" though it did drift a bit. Now comes the cold!!! Tomorrow's high predicted to be -1 and for here, that is darned cold and I can't remember the last time we had a high of that!
We'll have -14 for highs on Monday morning but with wind chills it looks like -25/-30. For the day is going to be -11. Kids are happy they aren't going to school, As cold as it is I like this Chicago weather :)

When I got home Friday I found out that there had been no signal all day. 5 inches of snow had fallen overnight, and when I looked at the dish there was some snow which by then had frozen. Because it was frozen I couldn't knock it off, so I filled a pot with hot water and tossed it by the cup full from the Master Bathroom window until the snow/ice was gone. I was surprised at how well it worked, and how good my aim was.

Never had a problem here in northern MA when I was on WA. But now with the higher elevation of EA it's common to lose signal. This last storm we only got about 5" of light fluffy snow. Didn't lose signal during the storm but the day after I got the dreaded "complete signal loss" screen. Went outside and checked the dish, the center was full of snow. Didn't feel like climbing on the roof, and the sun was out. Took about 3 hours to come back.

Looking for a Super Soaker on Amazon. Didn't realize the originals are no longer made. The reviews on most of the knockoffs are horrendous!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)