Status
Not open for further replies.

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
Lizella, Georgia Republic
I occassionally look at the "Who's Online" section in the SITE AREA. This A.M., a little after 5:30a.m., I was in there and noticed 44 members online and 0 guest online. This made me realize, but for some reason, it didn't click in my head yesterday, that at some point in the a.m. hours, I was in there and there was 287 members online and 0 guest online. Up until now, there's always been (or at least, I've always seen) a considerable number of more guest online, than there are members. Is something turned off? Or, are guest no longer coming here? Or, is something wrong with my mind? (on 2nd thought, don't answer this last one).

Al

Its because of the fact that after the backups are done some of the services are automatically restarted including mysql, when this happens the usercount online is reset and starts from Zero.

A few minutes later the whos online count would be normal again as the system regenerates its stats. :)

I don't understand why we have so many "guests". Is that normal in a forum? I mean in this site if you register, you lose the ads so why are some people afraid of registering?

I don't understand why we have so many "guests". Is that normal in a forum? I mean in this site if you register, you lose the ads so why are some people afraid of registering?

I don't use cookies, so I have to sign in each time. Therefore I only sign in when I am making a post. Otherwise I just read what I want and move on without signing in.

About 5 - 10% of the guests are actually Spiders indexing the site for the search engines.

The rest are really guest.

Let's take a look at some stats here as I type this (I feel like Tbenning now) :D

SatelliteGuys - Members Online - 317 - Guests Online 1,155
DBSTalk - Members Online - 275 - Guests Online 1,450
DBSForums - Members Online 30 Guests Online - 325
TivoCommunity - Members Online - 336 - Guests Online - 637
AVSForum - Members Online - 1217 - Guests Online - 2076

As you can see double the amount of guests for a forum is normal.

I don't use cookies, so I have to sign in each time. Therefore I only sign in when I am making a post. Otherwise I just read what I want and move on without signing in.
Doing it that way though you are seeing more ads, as a supporter the only ads you see when logged in are the ones at the top of the page.

I don't use cookies, so I have to sign in each time.
You know, you can configure your browser to allow cookies from select sites only.
This way, the cookies can be prohibited by default and allowed just for sites that you explicitly add to your list.

About 5 - 10% of the guests are actually Spiders indexing the site for the search engines.

The rest are really guest.

Let's take a look at some stats here as I type this (I feel like Tbenning now) :D

SatelliteGuys - Members Online - 317 - Guests Online 1,155
DBSTalk - Members Online - 275 - Guests Online 1,450
DBSForums - Members Online 30 Guests Online - 325
TivoCommunity - Members Online - 336 - Guests Online - 637
AVSForum - Members Online - 1217 - Guests Online - 2076

As you can see double the amount of guests for a forum is normal.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Its because of the fact that after the backups are done some of the services are automatically restarted including mysql, when this happens the usercount online is reset and starts from Zero.

A few minutes later the whos online count would be normal again as the system regenerates its stats. :)
I guess something is not normal, because I'm still showing 0 guest online with my computer. If it's something that I need to do with my computer, please let me know. Although, it really doesn't matter. It's just something I noticed, that's different than it used to be. Thanks.

Al

You lose only some of the ads if you register or log on or if you block them in your browser. I block the Intelltxt with my browser since it crash and burns my text-to-speech screen reader. Since they both use a simular java-script they clash with either.

I sign in everytime also. only firefox has a password manager and i let firefox sign me in.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)