Who's Satisfied with DirectvHD???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
I had DISH-HD for 2-years and cancelled because of lack of HD channels. I've had VOOM for 7-months but it's been VERY shaky from the start technically speaking. In fact, I'm in the middle of a no-signal since Saturday. Two tech no shows and VOOM tells me I'll be without service until next week - that makes 10 dyas without VOOM. In the past 7-months I've had 3 other service calls and 2 other no shows. The VOOM receiver is horribly buggy, with pic dropouts the norm 24/7. Anyway.....

DirectvHD? How do you all like it? I know I'll be getting 80% less HD channels but I'd rather see a clear, uninterrupted pic - quality over quanity. The VOOM-HD receiver was $9.95/month and the DirectHD receiver is $299. Have you heard of DTV future HD channels? I can't get HD cable - too rural an area. So I'm stuck. What would you do???

Boondockbill said:
I had DISH-HD for 2-years and cancelled because of lack of HD channels. I've had VOOM for 7-months but it's been VERY shaky from the start technically speaking. In fact, I'm in the middle of a no-signal since Saturday. Two tech no shows and VOOM tells me I'll be without service until next week - that makes 10 dyas without VOOM. In the past 7-months I've had 3 other service calls and 2 other no shows. The VOOM receiver is horribly buggy, with pic dropouts the norm 24/7. Anyway.....

DirectvHD? How do you all like it? I know I'll be getting 80% less HD channels but I'd rather see a clear, uninterrupted pic - quality over quanity. The VOOM-HD receiver was $9.95/month and the DirectHD receiver is $299. Have you heard of DTV future HD channels? I can't get HD cable - too rural an area. So I'm stuck. What would you do???

I just switched from cable to Directv. I purchased the HD Tivo and it is awesome. I dont watch much of the HD from Direct, but mostly I watch OTA. So far i am happy!

I had DISH HD, wasn't impressed with their equipment. The 811 was just way too buggy for me. Had Voom, wasn't impressed at all with their shoddy build quality and the quality of their customer service.

I have Directv's HD package. I have to say the Hughes HTL-HD is very nice, and STABLE. The channels are about what you will get with DISH, but Directv has plans to launch a new high powered satellite next year that is supposed to offer up to 500 HD channels, and Directv is rumored to start offering local channels in HD starting with this satellite and the supplimental one set to be launched by 2007. With the first satellite launch next year the picture quality should go back up. One thing that sucks right now is PQ isn't as good as it could be, but that's because of bandwidth constraint because of NFL-Sunday Ticket. HD still looks good, but could look better.

I hope this helps!! I would highly recommend it.

Neutron said:
I had DISH HD, wasn't impressed with their equipment. The 811 was just way too buggy for me. Had Voom, wasn't impressed at all with their shoddy build quality and the quality of their customer service.

I have Directv's HD package. I have to say the Hughes HTL-HD is very nice, and STABLE. The channels are about what you will get with DISH, but Directv has plans to launch a new high powered satellite next year that is supposed to offer up to 500 HD channels, and Directv is rumored to start offering local channels in HD starting with this satellite and the supplimental one set to be launched by 2007. With the first satellite launch next year the picture quality should go back up. One thing that sucks right now is PQ isn't as good as it could be, but that's because of bandwidth constraint because of NFL-Sunday Ticket. HD still looks good, but could look better.

I hope this helps!! I would highly recommend it.

I agree with everything said here. I would recommend it. I also had VOom and was not happy with the same issues. gl and watch your CC for charges after you cancel.

I am.

But only becuase there is the HD Tivo with 4 Turners. Two DBS and Two Over the air.

There are many times with it is recording two over the air network shows (liek Thursnight).

The Dish 921 only has one OTA turner.

Other wise channel for channel, DIsh and Direct are close.

Direct TV for me is better becuase the have more HD if you count the HD Networks.

I do not like Voom becuase the HD DVR is not really there yet. Some day it will be though.

I have tested the Pic quality of Direct and Dish.

HD= both the same.

Direct TV= much better with Major Channels

Dish= better with Locals if comparing 101 sat.

Direct TV= better with locals if comparing new 119 sat.

Compression for both companies varries channel for channel so it depends on what you watch.

For me Direct TV is the best choice based on what I watch and what I need to record with my DCV.

You choice may be different compare and study before buying.

9.99 a month for a box that doesnt work ??
or 299 one time for a box that will actually give you crystal clear albeit right now a bit compressed pic, dtv is my choice for the future, i tried Doom i mean V* and also E*
V was horrendous and E box was slow and very buggy. easy choice to be made as far as i am concerned

I wouldn't trade my HTL-HD for anything except an HD DTivo. I'm very impressed with the quality the box has given me.

I also had Voom had encountered the same problems as you. I switched to Directv HD and I am very satisfied with them. The HD content is less but without all the headaches you get from Voom.

Do they have the most HD, no but they have a good overall package. Do they have the cheapest HD STB, no but the things work. I had E* and switch, happy that I did.

To answer your question, I would not say I am "satisfied" with the D* HD offering. It is okay for now and I know it will get better in May 2005, when two new satellites are brought online. I personally feel they are missing StarzHD and InHD 1&2, once these are added I will be completely satisfied.

I recently upgraded to the HD TiVo model, being able to record network shows from NBC, FOX and CBS and Discovery has quenched my thirst for HD. The unit will need to be upgraded to allow for about 60 hours of HD Recoding though. I used to think it was not worth the money, but given the amount of sports (NFL) content I have reversed course on this.

I have had D*, E*, Voom and Cable ... D* is by far the best provider in my opinion.

cliffordmarc said:
I would have to say that I am some what satisfied. I just want more HD

Me too, on top of more HD I hope we get back quality HD once the NFL Season is over or when the new Sats go up in 2005.

One thing to note about the "500 HD channels" issue is that they will mostly be for broadcasting locals. Thus, the real impact for you and me will be much less than the marketing (expect to have your six major networks plus or minus on the bird if you are in the top 50 DMAs). I am hoping that Dish buys Voom and thus spurs DirecTV to dedicate some of that space over to national HD channels.

With the satellite that's expected to launch in 2007 expect well more than 500 HD channel capacity.

i also have to say considering how many hd channels there are (except locals ) the 2 spaceway sats will probley carry if contracts can be signed (and dish doesnt sue) all the "real " hd channels. i mean for ny and la o&o and white area markets they only need abc upn and wb and a full time fox hd then 2 major and white area markets are already done. And whats also great is the new sats have both spotbeam and conus transponders . so the before mentioned markets will be on conus and the other markets will be on spotbeams . just like they do for the sd feeds

To me it is ironic in this age of computerization that the HD channels from the major networks could be distributed that all the program is four sources (one for each time zone) then on the fly local ads be inserted in low res so we could save satellite transponder space for unique programing and not redundant program. Think how much bandwidth would be saved it would be huge.

Something like that would require a big overhaul of the Satellite Home Viewers Act. I don't think local stations would be too happy with that idea.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts