Why a $40 Fee to Enable External HD???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Race

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Does anyone know why there is a $40 fee to "enable" and external HD on the 722?

Oh - and why would there be an HD Enabling fee of $6-per-MONTH on the 722, if you don't get the HD channels?

Thank you.

It cost to develop EHD support. Got to pass it along. Business 101.
As for the HD fee, if you want an HD receiver, you pay it or get you the HD package.

there are no technical reasons for it and no particular tie in to a specific cost. As others have said it si just there.

Does anyone know why there is a $40 fee to "enable" and external HD on the 722?

It's not really a fee for enabling, it's the fee you pay to be a beta tester 'cause there are still bugs in the feature.:haha

Saying that, I paid for the feature because I wanted it. Somewhere down the road, I sure Dish will offer it for free (or should I say as a built in hidden cost?) because someone else will start offering the feature without charging for it with their service.

It's not really a fee for enabling, it's the fee you pay to be a beta tester 'cause there are still bugs in the feature.:haha

Saying that, I paid for the feature because I wanted it. Somewhere down the road, I sure Dish will offer it for free (or should I say as a built in hidden cost?) because someone else will start offering the feature without charging for it with their service.

Somebody already is. They offer external esata usage instead of usb, but the only thing is, is you loose the internal hard drive all though that might be fixed in the future.

The same reason the bank charges ATM fees. Because they are the bank and you are not.

There's a difference, though. I don't like ATM fees, but they're charging for a service. Activating a feature in an electronic device and charging $40 for it, is scalping. It's a switch in existing software. $40???

As for the HD enabling fee, the HD service is not being purchased, they are charging a punishment fee for using the DEVICE, not the service. It's because they can. They're taking advantage of us.

The fees really add up.
$6/mo lease fee (and still paying $100 for the receiver after a $100 rebate)

$6/mo HD "enabling" fee (even though HD is not enabled, nor purchased)

$6/mo DVR fee

$6/mo Locals

$40 EHD "enabling" fee.

$53/mo Top 250 package

$20/mo (if you do buy the HD package)

I've had Dish for a long time, but these fees are nickeling-and-diming you to death. Especially since DirecTV charges $9.99 for HD vs. Dish's $20.

The ONLY reason I haven't switched to DirecTV is, they don't have Name-Based-Recording. When they do (hopefully in Jan/Feb), I'll switch.

(I also noticed each time I called Direct asking about packages, etc., it was ALWAYS an English speaking American on the phone. Dish is always in India when I call. Strike two...)

(Guess this ended up being a rant... Sorry to come as a new member and start off on a negative note.)

I've long forgotten about spending the $40 because it was worth it!!!
Me too!

But I hope they get done with the beta version of the software soon! When compared to the regular DVR management functions it's a kludgey load of crap.

But, hey, it gets the job done so I'm still a happy camper!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)