Why a $40 Fee to Enable External HD???

Not to worry! A lot of us don't agree with the nickle and dime fees either. Some people see a justification for the fee, most of us don't.
Actually Dish is offering a substantial additional capability to their DVRs and forty bucks seems fair to me. Not only that, but the cost of dealing with this improvement isn't being put on the backs of all subscribers but only being assessed on those of us who like it and want to use it.

A rare bit of fair play for Charlie and Co IMO.

It would be nice if they could do this with other features like TV2 HD. I'd pay but since not a lot of folks have two HDTVs yet it wouldn't be fair to make the 822 (or whatever they name it) do this and make everybody pay with increases in prices somewhere else. They could just offer an 822A for 40 bucks more.

Cox cable's basic HD STB(non-DVR) has an output to pass through the rf so folks with QAM tuners can use there own tuners.

Even though the connector is there and the remote has a bypass function it doesn't work until you get Cox to swap you for an identical box that has a "bypass module" installed. I don't know what they charge for this but I know the HD STB doesn't have it new out of the box.

There's a difference, though. I don't like ATM fees, but they're charging for a service. Activating a feature in an electronic device and charging $40 for it, is scalping. It's a switch in existing software. $40???

As for the HD enabling fee, the HD service is not being purchased, they are charging a punishment fee for using the DEVICE, not the service. It's because they can. They're taking advantage of us.

It WASN'T in the software though until they took time to develop, test, and implement it.

Why have a HD reciever if you don't have a hdtv? possibly for dolby digital, but other then that there wouldn't be a reason. It cost dish more for HD boxes, why give you one if you dont even use the HD tuner/output portion of it?

(Guess this ended up being a rant... Sorry to come as a new member and start off on a negative note.)
Not to worry.

More share your view than mine.

Besides this is a place to present all sides of the "argument of the moment".

As for the HD enabling fee, the HD service is not being purchased, they are charging a punishment fee for using the DEVICE, not the service. It's because they can. They're taking advantage of us.
FYI: the boxes cost more than they charge for them. And they make them and sell them at a loss to people who subscribe to the HD they are selling.

If they give you one and you don't get HD then there is one box less to give to paying HD customers.

If you are getting one of those 99 dollar deals you are only leasing a DVR because you pay for service. If you tried to keep the box but not get any service ( for whatever reason) they would make you give it back.

I'm amazed they let anyone have one at all if they don't subscribe to HD service.

You can save the 6 bucks and get a 522. It's nearly identical to the 622 but without HD.

FYI: the boxes cost more than they charge for them. And they make them and sell them at a loss to people who subscribe to the HD they are selling.

If they give you one and you don't get HD then there is one box less to give to paying HD customers.

If you are getting one of those 99 dollar deals you are only leasing a DVR because you pay for service. If you tried to keep the box but not get any service ( for whatever reason) they would make you give it back.

I'm amazed they let anyone have one at all if they don't subscribe to HD service.

You can save the 6 bucks and get a 522. It's nearly identical to the 622 but without HD.

Steve,

Good point on the cost of the HD receiver.

The reason I'm going with the 722 is:

- 350 hours of SD recording time
- I will probably be upgrading to an HD within a few months
- External HD connection (although, I don't know that I'll pay $40 for plugging it in)
- Ethernet-Internet connection for Video-on-Demand

If the 625 had all those features, I would have selected that one, but it doesn't. Dish told me the 722 would work just fine as a SD receiver, with no loss of SD quality (in the downconversion). I hope they're right.

Thanks.

Dish does a lot of stupid things. You call in and add channels, it is free. You call in and remove channels from your package and it costs you a downgrade fee. Why? It doesn't take any more time for a CSR to remove a service than it does to add one. Jerks.

Dish is really becoming obsolete anyway. I now have HD-DVD and bluray, and my cable company (I get BHN and Dish) is adding several new HD channels next week, almost matching what Dish has (minus the Voom). I got Dish as a secondary service to give me more HD last spring when BHN still had crappy HD. Dish steps it up soon or I bail at the end of my ten months of getting $20 off per month. I'll stay with just cable or go DirecTV instead of Dish. I now stay pretty busy with two HD disc formats and cable. Goodbye Di$h. Di$h can keep me if they start adding HD channels, especially premium multichannels of Starz for a start.

At least its a one time fee, I expected dish to charge $5 a month to use external storage.

Exactly. They could just as well have tacked on a monthly fee. The one time fee didn't bother me that much at all. Consider the standard telcos. How much do you really think it costs them to give you call waiting, and the other add-on features. At this point, those R&D costs have been covered a million times over, but yet they still charge extra for them, because . . . people will pay.

Step back and look at the title of the threads posted in the E* and E*-HD forums lately.

Locals guide fee?
External storage fee?
Phone line fee?
HD fee?

If I were an E* promotional consultant, it's not very flattering to E* as a service is what I would think. It looks somewhat like E* is in favor of
ala carte service fees BUT not programming.

you should have seen how many calls come in for the ehd and how much of the software team goes into developing it and improving it so it can be compatibly with all ehd they could have just not made it then everybody would say how they are willing to pay directv 40 dollars for the ehd since dish doesnt have it
also
phone line fee-----hook up your phone line all other providers charge you for additional rooms enjoy the option not to be charged-dish only
HD fee--- you didnt have to pay crap for the rcvr thats why pay it if you dont want to then buy a 722 for 499$ you would save money after 4 years of not having the fee by paying upfront sounds good ....not really
locals guide fee ---what are you talking about?-locals well then use an ota which IS FREE-if your too far out too get them then get the locals for 5$ its still 5$ cheaper then direct

Dish does a lot of stupid things. You call in and add channels, it is free. You call in and remove channels from your package and it costs you a downgrade fee. Why? It doesn't take any more time for a CSR to remove a service than it does to add one. Jerks.
Because people like to upgrade their package so they can watch one program, then downgrade so they won't have to pay the higher cost.

Because people like to upgrade their package so they can watch one program, then downgrade so they won't have to pay the higher cost.

Well if someone wants to upgrade for 1 month and then downgrade so what? They still pay the fee for that programming for that month. I mean they are paying for what they get, why the extra charge?

Well if someone wants to upgrade for 1 month and then downgrade so what? They still pay the fee for that programming for that month. I mean they are paying for what they get, why the extra charge?
FYI: Dish pro-rates the charges so without the 5.00 downgrade fee you could call and get one day of a channel with a movie you wanted to see and end up paying pocket change.

The only time I did an up/down it was for my bother who came down from LA for some occasion or other, the CSR waived the downgrade after he left since I was one "of our most valuable customers." I got him an L.A station for a day or two for a Buffy Vampire Slayer rerun or something else as lame. I think it ended up costing me a buck and change.

But That was my first downgrade since the launch of Echostar 3 so I don't feel all that special.

.... I got him an L.A station for a day or two for a Buffy Vampire Slayer rerun or something else as lame. I think it ended up costing me a buck and change. .....

I'd say that a rerun of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is worth considerably less than
a buck and change. So you paid for what you got.

I don't have a problem if they want to charge the fee for a channel or package you might have had for a month or less. But suppose I have had that channel or
package for 3 years, I lose my job and want to cut expenses a bit until I get a new job, and E* gives me a $5 haircut right from the start.

A better way to do it would be to allow a certain number, say 3 per year, downgrades if you have had the channel or package for at least 3 months.

If you have had a package for several months you are obviously not just up/down to catch a particular show or event. So why the charge? It's to
discourage people from downgrading their programming subscription, pure and simple.

Last edited:
you should have seen how many calls come in for the ehd and how much of the software team goes into developing it and improving it so it can be compatibly with all ehd they could have just not made it then everybody would say how they are willing to pay directv 40 dollars for the ehd since dish doesnt have it
also
phone line fee-----hook up your phone line all other providers charge you for additional rooms enjoy the option not to be charged-dish only
HD fee--- you didnt have to pay crap for the rcvr thats why pay it if you dont want to then buy a 722 for 499$ you would save money after 4 years of not having the fee by paying upfront sounds good ....not really
locals guide fee ---what are you talking about?-locals well then use an ota which IS FREE-if your too far out too get them then get the locals for 5$ its still 5$ cheaper then direct

Wow, what was I thinking? I guess I'm lucky Dish would even have me.

Let me know if I can help them out in any other way...

:rolleyes:

He is came here without past :(
It was time when all receivers wasn't free and freaking 4700 cost $300, 6000 - $600.
He can't count R&D expenses without whole balance. Baseless arguments.

There's a difference, though. I don't like ATM fees, but they're charging for a service. Activating a feature in an electronic device and charging $40 for it, is scalping. It's a switch in existing software. $40???

The fees really add up.
$6/mo lease fee (and still paying $100 for the receiver after a $100 rebate)
You pay a fee for a box with any service.

$6/mo HD "enabling" fee (even though HD is not enabled, nor purchased)
This is to enable the OTA HD of the receiver. A feature you would not have with the 625 SD DVR.

$6/mo DVR fee
Again all services charge this fee

$6/mo Locals
Direct charges for this as well

$40 EHD "enabling" fee.

$53/mo Top 250 package

$20/mo (if you do buy the HD package)

I've had Dish for a long time, but these fees are nickeling-and-diming you to death. Especially since DirecTV charges $9.99 for HD vs. Dish's $20.
Don't forget Direct just added another $5.00 fee for some of the new HD they added.

The ONLY reason I haven't switched to DirecTV is, they don't have Name-Based-Recording. When they do (hopefully in Jan/Feb), I'll switch.

(I also noticed each time I called Direct asking about packages, etc., it was ALWAYS an English speaking American on the phone. Dish is always in India when I call. Strike two...)

(Guess this ended up being a rant... Sorry to come as a new member and start off on a negative note.)

Great thing is we all have a choice. If you don't like the provider you have you can change.

dish will easily waive downgrade fee if its to save money csr's are trained if you said im lowering my bill due to finacial cost they will waive it - its there to prevent abuse of downgrade upgrade to get shows for a day or week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts