Why am I being told the 722 and 722k are the same thing?

sevendust2412

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Connecticut
I am currently going through a upgrade of equipment at my house and I'm concerned over the fact that I am signing a new two year contract getting all remanufactured equipment and not getting two 722k's only one, and I'm also being told that they are the same receiver. I'm concerned with the fact that I'm an existing customer but not getting new units and at the very least the latest technology. I've put the install on hold for now while the tech is checking for another 722k but he states that they can't get them anymore.

They are not the same. Here are some differences that I can think of: The K version has a bay for an optional module that contains two OTA tuners (you can record 4 streams at one time). The non-K has a single built in OTA tuner. The 722 has S-Video output, the 722k does not. The 722k allows you to back up timers and stuff to the remote. The 722k uses totally different chips and software (the insides of the 722k and 922 are almost the same). Also, some believe that the 722K produces a noticeably brighter, sharper, more vivid picture than the non-K series, however this is subjective.

The 722K is the newer receiver and is still in production. Not sure why he "can't get any", except that there might not be any refurbished ones available right now. When the hard drive in my 722 failed, Dish replaced it with a new 722K without me specifically asking for it. (...maybe because I have been a customer for 12 years, or maybe that was all the installer had on the truck). If it was me, I would try to get the 722K.

Last edited:
The 622, 722, 722k are considered equal when replacing equip at Dish unless you order a Sling adapter. It just depends on what the installer had on the truck at the time. As far a refurbished goes, I haven't seen a non refurbished 722k in a while.

It's about what is available from the warehouse. They only have what is sent to them and more than half the receivers are reman they work the same.

Those are the differenced that I've read about. I was also told that the 722 is what is on Dish's website. The installer found one and is having another tech bring it. I just don't like being told that it does't matter because if it really doesn't, then why is it a problem that I'm requesting the 722k? I went through this problem about two years ago when I requested a 722 that was on the website when upgrading to HD and signing a new two year contract and was told that the 722 would be an extra 100 dollars. At the time the differenced between the two was just the hard drive size...then the Sling adapter came out.

So, one has trouble getting his 722k to work. Dish can't find anythig wrong with it over the phone, but reluntently agrees to replace it. It is mailed back to Dish (who didn't think anything was wrong with it to begin with). They bench test its hardware mark it remanufactured and ship it out to a new unsuspecting customer, who now has another peice of junk with Dish infamously crappy software.

I am currently going through a upgrade of equipment at my house and I'm concerned over the fact that I am signing a new two year contract getting all remanufactured equipment and not getting two 722k's only one, and I'm also being told that they are the same receiver. I'm concerned with the fact that I'm an existing customer but not getting new units and at the very least the latest technology. I've put the install on hold for now while the tech is checking for another 722k but he states that they can't get them anymore.

Several years ago DISH combined certain receivers into "families" based on their functionality. DVRs with single tuners, DVRs with dual tuners, HD single tuners, HD dual tuners, etc, etc. A 622, 722, 722k are all considered within the same receiver family, so when you ask for an upgrade you can potentially receive any of those three units (not your choice, it's dependant on what your tech has available). As previously mentioned, OTA module, chipset and hard drive size are the general differences.

Your tech sounds like he's trying to make sure you get what you want, but he isn't required to. DISH doesn't want you coming to them saying "I want THIS model." They want you to tell them which functions you need for your install (DVR, multiple rooms, HD/SD) and from that they decide what to install. It usually works, only gearheads or reverse gearheads (people who want the newest toys without actually understanding what they do) usually ask for specific models.

Why should dish send out new equipment on leases? All the providers are the same way. Some people will get new and others refurbs based on local inventory.

If one definately wants a new receiver and wants a particular model, then purchase it. Otherwise dish is providing a receiver that's meets the needs requested. HD dual tuner dvr.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Why should dish send out new equipment on leases? All the providers are te same way. Some people will get new and otera refurbs based on local inventory.

If one definately wants a new receiver and wants a particular model, then purchase it. Otherwise dish is providing a receiver that's meets the needs requested. HD dual tuner dvr.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
YOU MUST REMEMBER with a lease DISH owns the receiver not you
As OSU posted if you want a specific model BUY IT otherwise accept what the owner (DISH) gives you.

I see some perceived problems as well as actual ones. As stated here the 722 and 722K are not the same and you are right to question that and determine if you want what they are giving you or to stop the install.

That said, two misconceptions. Although a better chance with Dish than Direct, there is no guarantee you will get exactly the model you want. And there is no one who gives a new receiver for a lease as any kind of guarantee. As it works out, in many cases in electronics a refurbished unit is just as good, or possibly better than a new model.

I would stick to my guns on the 722K, but forget the rest. My bigger question, why are you not using the DIRT team here for this?

Short answer.... To dish the 622/722/722k are all in the same family.

Its a crap shoot on what is on hand at the warehouse. The installer is not in charge of what he carries on the van the warehouse manager is, and he even has to answer to someone above him.

I have to disagree that it is that hard, IF you are persistent. I have seen many threads of people who were, and voila, the wanted receiver is found. As I said, better chance than with Direct.

Regardless of what Dish, their website, or the CSRs say- it's YOUR money. If I wanted the K model, I would make it clear up front, and tell them to put it on the work order. If the guy calls before arriving, repeat yourself. And when he shows up, insist upon seeing the K models FIRST, before ANY work is done. No Ks, cancel the job.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with my ViP722 DVRs.

My bigger question, why are you not using the DIRT team here for this?
From what I have gathered from their responses in the past, they are bound to the same rules regarding not being able to guarantee a specific receiver. Going through a local retailer is the best bet of getting what you want, AFAIK.

Short answer.... To dish the 622/722/722k are all in the same family.

But just because some incompetent manager in a nontechnical position considers them the same doesn't make them the same. The 622 can't do adaptive streaming or backup timers to a remote, for example. So as far as I'm concerned, Dish has no right to hand out 622s at all without getting the customer's consent to receive an inferior receiver, and as we all know, they don't even inform the customer before the fact, let alone get their consent.

Be careful what you wish for. The 722k's are problematic. When my 722 failed I was given a 722k. When I got tired of waiting 5 seconds or so between remote control commands and a response, I had them send me a new 722k. It is just as bad. I'll take a 622 or 722 any day over a 722k. Dish is aware of the problem and says they're working on it, but the regulars on here know what "soon" means.

Agreed jpmarto.

The 722 is better than the 722k in my opinion. I had a k (Made in China) and it was as slow as molasses. Switched to a 722 (Made in Mexico) and it is lightning fast. The only advantage to the k is the two OTA tuner feature if you buy the module. In my opinion of course. Picture quality is the same on my 60" Kuro.

As bad as the slow guide issue is on the 722K, I'd rather have a slower 722K that can record 2 OTA and 2 SAT than a faster 722 that can only do 1 OTA. That being said, 722 non-Ks are not immune to the slow guide issue. There are many reports of 722s slowing down as well. My 722Ks aren't slow but rarely. Though I have seen family/friends/neighbors with 722Ks that were slow off and on.

Another advantage of the 722k is that the 722 cannot use the OTA tuner on TV2. So, if you are recording 2 satellite programs (neither OTA), you cannot use TV2 except to watch recorded programs. This is a big disadvantage which unfortunately I found too late and it pisses me off. Of course, I was also told that there was no difference between the 722 and 722k.