Why am I being told the 722 and 722k are the same thing?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wanting a certain receiver that is shown on the Dish site is crying wolf? Really?? You want to take whatever is given to you in life is your business, some people just do not want any confrontation and I understand that. But the OP to me should have done what he did, be reasonable and realize only accepting a new not refurbished receiver probably is just not going to happen, but getting the receiver you want should be (and is) possible. And again I have to BS to your notion that it costs Dish any real money more to provide a 722K instead of a 722 for those customers who know enough to ask for it. Maybe, just maybe the good will keep the customer?

You can call BS, but I am telling you for a fact that a 722k costs more than a 722; more than enough to justify restricting choice between them. It's not a notion, it's bona-fide fact. You don't have the believe me, just as you don't have to believe it if a DISH exec told you to your face. But the lack of your belief does not change the facts.

The facts also speak loudly. While it "is" possible, that a CSR, CSR's manager, CSR's manager's manager, a tech, the tech's manager, dispatch, general manager and general policy all prohibit it should tell you it's not something DISH takes lightly. If it was a non-issue, all of the above parties would be able to do it.

So yes, you can speed in the school zone, but at some point you're going to get caught and DISH isn't forgiving about losing money. Customers sure, but cash is different.

You just answered the question. Because most people want the 722k they run out of stock on the popular model and can only carry what's available on any given day.

You can call BS, but I am telling you for a fact that a 722k costs more than a 722; more than enough to justify restricting choice between them. It's not a notion, it's bona-fide fact. You don't have the believe me, just as you don't have to believe it if a DISH exec told you to your face. But the lack of your belief does not change the facts.

The facts also speak loudly. While it "is" possible, that a CSR, CSR's manager, CSR's manager's manager, a tech, the tech's manager, dispatch, general manager and general policy all prohibit it should tell you it's not something DISH takes lightly. If it was a non-issue, all of the above parties would be able to do it.

So yes, you can speed in the school zone, but at some point you're going to get caught and DISH isn't forgiving about losing money. Customers sure, but cash is different.

Before I became a retailer I was also a DISH contractor goon driving all over my region day and night. I had many occasions where a more technical customer had requested an OTA module. We always stocked them in the van. If we didnt have them we rescheduled and that job was flagged and coded accordingly. But the point I am making is that not all people even KNOW of the option. Of course us techie people know and the first Dish self installer knew or know because of when locals werent an option through DISH. If you call in and say you want to be able to do this, this and that, especially the OTA on two tuners and the sling option, that is what you get. If you say you have 2 TV's one HD and one SD and you want access to dvr at both. That's pretty vague. The whole 622/722/7222k encompasses this now. So this gioves the tech the coded paperwork saying to use ANY of the three.

And as refurbished is concerned, all refurbished electronics have a lower failure rate. They have been double inspected and faulty parts replaced. Out of the 3 in the hd dual tuner family, the refurbished have always been better off of success.

As far as cost. I personally can guarantee they cost the same. I buy them regularly in quantity. The money isn't made on recievers. Nobody makes money on them. Not even DISH. Money is made in subs. The reciever is just a conduit to a sub.

And to be honest with you. I think a K model was a venture for DISH to SAVE money by taking away the built in ota. For example $25 for OTA module. now multiply that by 1 million. Get that idea? lots of savings for dish.

Last edited:
As far as cost. I personally can guarantee they cost the same. I buy them regularly in quantity. The money isn't made on recievers. Nobody makes money on them. Not even DISH. Money is made in subs. The reciever is just a conduit to a sub.

And to be honest with you. I think a K model was a venture for DISH to SAVE money by taking away the built in ota. For example $25 for OTA module. now multiply that by 1 million. Get that idea? lots of savings for dish.

No... Echosphere Sales prices their receivers competitively to ensure retailers buy them. That has near-zero bearing on what it actually costs DISH for them. Retailers all pay the same thing (well...that's half true. Certain classes of retailers pay the same thing to be more accurate.) A customer pays $100 for not returning a unit like a 211 for example today. Does that mean it costs $100 for a 211? No; I doubt it costs $100 to the penny and DISH isn't in the business of losing money.

Another point that seals it; a new and a reman 211 from Echosphere Sales cost the exact same. Do you think a unit fresh off the line versus one that's been refielded, accounting for depreciation has the same book value? No; but if they don't price them as such they won't sell as effectively.

What you pay as a retailer doesn't alter what DISH pays to build equipment. It only determines how profitable or how much of a hit they take (after the fact).

I guess I wasn't clear when I said nobody makes money, I meant nobody "but echosphere" makes money on the receiver. Obviously, they are the manufacturer.

...oooookay. Echosphere is DISH; just a difference department name and DBA. Which now makes me wonder if you know who your purchase equipment from. I think I'm good now. Thanks for playing.

I just pretended to be a new customer and placed an order to a 2-room system with HD/DVR in one room and DVR in second room. It lists the receiver as:

Receivers
Rcvr 622/722 HD Duo (2TV) DVR

The on-screen 'specs' for the 722k on the website make NO mention of the OTA tuners. Only the product brochure in PDF format does...

If I were ordering online, there's no way to specify that you want this OTA option either.

What is a 722 HD Duo DVR? How does it compare to the 722 or 722k or is it the same thing?

....Just wow..... There are no words.

Echosphere is DISH Network (actually I guess just "DISH" in a week or so...), not an Echostar organization. If you don't believe that, call a sales rep and ask them who they work for. "Echostar" owns engineering, R&D and most of the satellite/software resources... Just because it has "Echo" in the name, doesn't make it the same company.

Further, your insistence that they have completely different assets is also inaccurate. Their books still interconnect, Charlie just drinks his kool-aid from two glasses instead of one now. Check your SEC filings or buy some stock to get the stock reports. You'll note every single year when Echo reports down profit or failing to meet goals it's due to "Echostar's business reliance on DISH Network for business and product development". But guess where the cash came from when Echostar split? I'll give you a hint, not a bank. The same goes for their employees.

I mean you "could" be right...if you honestly believe everything on a DISH press release is full-disclosure and accurate. And you might believe that; it kind of looks like it. :rolleyes:

One last point that any retailer can verify; "Amir and Brian"...every retailer knows them. Guess why; is it because they're both DISH executives in charge of retailer sales (and therefore Echosphere); why I do believe it is!