Why are NBA Playoff games on NBATV being blacked out?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larry1301

Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
United States
On Tuesday and again tonight, the Bulls-76ers game on NBATV has been blacked out here in Wilkes Barre.

I understand the regular season blackout rules but am completely in the dark as to why playoff games are being blacked out.

The game Tuesday was in Chicago, the one tonight is Philly.

Can someone explain this? This just seems wrong.

There are no alternative channels to watch these games. I though all playoff games had to be shown.

On Tuesday and again tonight, the Bulls-76ers game on NBATV has been blacked out here in Wilkes Barre.

I understand the regular season blackout rules but am completely in the dark as to why playoff games are being blacked out.

There are no alternative channels to watch these games. I though all playoff games had to be shown.

The teams' local RSNs are also broadcasting the games.

You are probably in the 76ers market so you need to watch the game on the local RSN. Now, I know Direct TV doesn't carry the local Philly RSN but that doesn't matter so you won't be able to watch the game.

You are probably in the 76ers market so you need to watch the game on the local RSN. Now, I know Direct TV doesn't carry the local Philly RSN but that doesn't matter so you won't be able to watch the game.

I can almost understand that even though I thought that all playoff games are supposed to be able to be seen.

But why was Tuesday's game in Chicago blacked out in PA?

I can almost understand that even though I thought that all playoff games are supposed to be able to be seen.

But why was Tuesday's game in Chicago blacked out in PA?

They are supposed to be seen and Tuesday's game in Chicago was probably broadcast by CSN Philly. It doesn't matter where the game is played. If it's broadcast on the local RSN (in this case CSN Philly) and you are in the CSN Philly local market then that's the only channel you can watch the game on. The NBA doesn't care if your provider doesn't show that channel, they just determine that the game can only be watched on CSN Philly if that is the local RSN. Directv is just following the blackout rules.

They are supposed to be seen and Tuesday's game in Chicago was probably broadcast by CSN Philly. It doesn't matter where the game is played. If it's broadcast on the local RSN (in this case CSN Philly) and you are in the CSN Philly local market then that's the only channel you can watch the game on. The NBA doesn't care if your provider doesn't show that channel, they just determine that the game can only be watched on CSN Philly if that is the local RSN. Directv is just following the blackout rules.

Umm... according to Directv's RSN lookup, Wilkes Barre(18706/18702),PA is in Nets and Knicks Territory. Not 76ers

The 18702 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):
spacer.gif
YES Network HD (Ch. 631) - HD Available
s.gif
New Jersey Nets (HD Available)
s.gif
Yankees (HD Available)
Madison Square Garden (Ch. 634) - HD Available
s.gif
New Jersey Devils (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Islanders (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Knicks (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Rangers (HD Available)
MSG Plus HD (Ch. 635) - HD Available
s.gif
New York Knicks (HD Available)
s.gif
New York Rangers (HD Available)
SportsNet New York HD (Ch. 639) - HD Available
s.gif
Mets (HD Available)

s.gif

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
spacer.gif
ROOT Sports Pittsburgh (Ch. 659) - HD Available
s.gif
Pirates (HD Available)
s.gif
Pittsburgh Penguins (HD Available)

Umm... according to Directv's RSN lookup, Wilkes Barre(18706),PA is in Nets and Knicks Territory. Not 76ers

That's cause no one is in 76ers territory according to Directv's RSN lookup since Directv doesn't carry CSN Philly. That's only Directv's tool though, the one that matters is what market the NBA thinks Wilkes Barre is in.

That's cause no one is in 76ers territory according to Directv's RSN lookup since Directv doesn't carry CSN Philly. That's only Directv's tool though, the one that matters is what market the NBA thinks Wilkes Barre is in.

I found another website that says Scranton/Wilkes Barre was able to view the opposing feeds(at one point), but I am unsure if that is true or not. I can't find any official blackout lookup for the NBA.

Last edited:
When I lived in New England, I was always able to watch the Celtics playoffs on CSN-NE and the national channel, too, if I recall correctly. Not regular season, but playoffs. In NC, I have nothing to compare it to, now, since the Bobcats probably don't know what the playoffs are...

The blackout is only in force when an RSN and NBA TV are showing a game. No blackouts if ESPN or TNT show a game. I live near Wilkes-Barre and it's part of the 76ers market. If you want to watch Philly teams, get cable.

Per the Directv RSN list (that lists all RSN's even ones not carried by D*) these teams claim WB
MLB
Mets
Phillies
Pirates*
Yankees

NBA
Knicks
Nets
76ers

NHL
Devils
Islanders
Penguins*
Rangers
Flyers

Iceberg said:
Per the Directv RSN list (that lists all RSN's even ones not carried by D*) these teams claim WB
MLB
Mets
Phillies
Pirates*
Yankees

NBA
Knicks
Nets
76ers

NHL
Devils
Islanders
Penguins*
Rangers
Flyers

Is that online?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)