Why are the Diginets mostly classic TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
The vast majority of diginets available focus on classic TV from the 60's, 70's, 80's with a few from the 90's like RetroTV, ME TV, and the new Comet TV's programs are on classic sci-fi shows. Why do they focus on classic TV shows?. Why don't they show programs like sitcoms/dramas from the late 90's/00's?
Or why do big companies like CBS, Fox not launch diginets that focus on reruns of the programs?

It's a lot cheaper than newer shows and these channels don't get many people watching them so that's one of the few types of content they can afford.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The marketplace determines what will sell and for now the classics have the balance of cost and return. Sitcoms and dramas are represented just not from the 90's/00's, I would guess they are still to expensive for the diginets.

Or why do big companies like CBS, Fox not launch diginets that focus on reruns of the programs?
Once the network shows the programming in its regular season, it goes into syndication. At that point, it is available to anyone who wants to pony up.

Syndication properties typically snapped up by local stations who buy the rights to re-run in an effort to fill out their schedules. Now that there are so many subchannels, they're digging much further back into the libraries rather than re-running stuff that nobody was really capitivated by the first time around.

Other properties like game shows and talk shows start their life in syndication so you will see shows like Wheel of Fortune or Dr. Oz first run on different networks from market to market.

Most of the more recent stuff is already sold to cable channels or local affiliates for 2nd run. The entertainment companies are also looking for ways to monetize all the old programming in their libraries and the diginets are the best way. They pay for the channel space in most of the local markets and keep almost all the ad time and dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The vast majority of diginets available focus on classic TV from the 60's, 70's, 80's with a few from the 90's like RetroTV, ME TV, and the new Comet TV's programs are on classic sci-fi shows. Why do they focus on classic TV shows?.
because people want to see those shows :)

Why don't they show programs like sitcoms/dramas from the late 90's/00's?
lots of those are in syndication right now
because again of syndication deals. Plus the distributor of some of the shows have shows across all networks and they make the deals.

Reactions: primestar31
I remember a couple years ago there was suppose to be a company that was going to create 4 stations of sitcoms. One each of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. But that never materalized

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I remember a couple years ago there was suppose to be a company that was going to create 4 stations of sitcoms. One each of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. But that never materalized

Well, that's "Decades" channel. They just combined it and do rotations, which was a smarter way to go.

It's amazing to me, that many of the shows I grew up with that never seemed to end, now only seem to have like 80 episodes total, and get run through in a couple weeks...

yeah the older stuff was well written.
Well, at least the stuff getting picked up was relatively well written. There was always junk on TV, and you don't see these networks fighting over Hello, Larry, AfterMASH, or My Mother the Car, just to name a few of many, many turkeys.

We tend to put on rose colored glasses when we look back. "Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be (and never was)"

I think Iceberg is thinking of The Quad, a group of four channels supposedly being started by Garth Ancier formerly of The WB.
http://www.thequadtv.com/
They posted on Facebook as of 8/27/2015 that they have shelved their launch plans at this time:
https://www.facebook.com/thequadtv/
You'd almost need a big cable company or AT&T or Dish to get behind it I think, because someone would have to commit to carrying all four channels.

Speaking to the original topic, old shows are cheaper and easier to license, IMO, and the newer shows also have Hulu, Amazon, etc. trying to get them and the online services may want exclusives on the newer series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts