why are the FTA Sat listings so crazy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

horizon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I haven't hooked up my FTA receiver yet since I'm wating for another part to make my BUD move.

In researching what I might find up there, I've discovered that it's almost impossible to get an answer.

I looked over the sticky:
"I've got a FTA setup...now what can I pick up?"

and at Lyngsat, I've run the satfinder program.

So of the 3 sources which is actually correct?

lyngsat entries don't seem to make any sense.

for example they list the brazilian satellites are viewable in the US. In fact if you click on the "sattracker" icon and click where you are, it clearly indicates it's not "below the horizon".

But the sticky here says all of the Brazilian satellites are below the horizon.

I've also seen "guides" to lyngsat that say the free to air channels are the ones with the "F" icon means it's free to air. But some are listed as "DVB" not the "F" icon, and both are colored beige which seems to mean "Digital/clear" according to the lyngsat legend. So which is it?

Running satfinder seems to list south american satellites as viewable,also like lyngsat. Does that program not have an algorithm to correctly determine if something is on the other side of the equator? Does it expect me to dig a hole in the ground, all the way through, with the bearings it spits out to get a clear view?

On lyngsat, if you click on "free tv - united states" is says "Free TV Channels from the United States" but does that mean that's the country of origin of the companies that may be broadcasting on a satellite that people in the US can't even view? Cause some of that stuff is on a satellite positioned between africa and india...

Who has an accurate "I live in the US, what can I actually view?" listing? The one on here seems to be more accurate but contradicts what lyngsat says in some cases.

Very confusing.

The rules here are if its not listed on Lyngsat it should not be posted in the open area, and with blind scan receivers there is no real need for extensive lists.
In fact some people think that lists just make FTA channels disappear!

With that in mind I am sure it will all become clear when you get your receiver.
I like and use Lyngsat it can be slightly out of date but is usually right for the most part and the gaps are easily filled in with a blind scan.
All the satellites are above the equator so they can be "seen" from the southern or northern hemisphere. Thats not to say they are broadcasting in your direction, thats why checking the TP's BEAM or FOOTPRINT is important.

Thanks. That makes more sense of it.

Right now all I can do is play the tetris game on my Foretec classic :)

yeah, that "Free TV from the US" list always confused me, what they need is "Free TV *TO* the US"

The Free TV from the US list is channels that originate from the US...1/2 of them dont beam here :(

One thing to remember is Lyngsat is based in Europe so they cant see our satellites. They rely on updated from people

Well then they (Lyngsat) owe a thanks to you Iceberg, I guess that would be you who contributed to their list on IA 6 at 93 West.

Iceberg 060109 ? Is that 2006 Jan 09 ?

I can't wait to finish setting up, I'd love to share my finds with fellow members, thats what this is all about, all for the love of FTA.

yep that was me.

Somebody thought University Network moved frequencies. They didn't. Old Doc Scott has been at the same spot since he added KU band to his broadcasting netowrk :)

When you see the "F" for free tv on lyngsat it means that you can watch this channel for Free over the Internet.

Wholeshoe

I have been corrected. The "N" is for the channels that stream on the internet.

Thanks Ice

Iceberg said:
yep that was me.

Somebody thought University Network moved frequencies. They didn't. Old Doc Scott has been at the same spot since he added KU band to his broadcasting netowrk :)

The symbol rate changes every so often is the only change I ever see.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts