WHY are there 2 HBO HD's & 2 SHO HD's ?

BrianSLA

Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
Why are there 2 channels of HBO HD & SHO HD ? Is one a better signal or better than the other ? I DVRed Big Love on one HBO HD and experienced some bad reception - switched to the other HD and didn't see any problems. Then I rewatched the DVRed event and saw more problems in the recording after the switch. I could be wrong.

Just curious,
Brian

Because they are doing a free preview this weekend. Thus they mirror the channels in another range. Sometime after the weekend you will only see the ones that are above 300.

Last edited:
I think Brian is speaking of the East and West Coast feeds. Granted there is a third HBO-HD feed due to the free preview. But Showtime preview isn't until the end of the month. One each located on 110 and the West Coast feeds on 148. And jkinser, are you a Direct tv customer? This is a DishNetwork discussion site.

garys said:
I think Brian is speaking of the East and West Coast feeds.

I'm not sure. Since adding a 622 and local HD, which involved dish replacing my current dishes with a DISH 1000 and a 148, I now have two HD feeds for Showtime (9430/9460) and HBO (9440/9456). Both of these for each are East Coast feeds. I have no West Coast feeds for Showtime HD or HBO HD.

SKrueger said:
I'm not sure. Since adding a 622 and local HD, which involved dish replacing my current dishes with a DISH 1000 and a 148, I now have two HD feeds for Showtime (9430/9460) and HBO (9440/9456). Both of these for each are East Coast feeds. I have no West Coast feeds for Showtime HD or HBO HD.

I can't see 148. Thought it carried the West Coast feeds. Sorry for the error.

The HBO & Showtime feeds are both east coast only. Channels 9430 & 9440 are on 148 and are at only two HD channels per transponder. Channels 9456 & 9460 are on 110 at three HD channels per tranponder. The channels on 148 have more bandwidth available so you should get better results watching them.

n0qcu said:
The HBO & Showtime feeds are both east coast only. Channels 9430 & 9440 are on 148 and are at only two HD channels per transponder. Channels 9456 & 9460 are on 110 at three HD channels per tranponder. The channels on 148 have more bandwidth available so you should get better results watching them.

THANKS for the quick responses everyone. Yes it seems that one feed was better than the other and yes both are East coast feeds - I'D LOVE A WEST COAST FEED if you are reading E* !

n0qcu - I am not a techie BUT wouldn't the feed t 110 be better w / three HD channels than the two at 148 ? Is three better than 2 except in this case ?

-Thanks, Brian

Think about your question this way. If you are sqeezing three channels into the SAME amount space as only two, which is going to have access to more of the space.

BrianSLA said:
THANKS for the quick responses everyone. Yes it seems that one feed was better than the other and yes both are East coast feeds - I'D LOVE A WEST COAST FEED if you are reading E* !

n0qcu - I am not a techie BUT wouldn't the feed t 110 be better w / three HD channels than the two at 148 ? Is three better than 2 except in this case ?

-Thanks, Brian

More channels on one transponder limits the amount of bandwith that can be given to each channel. So in this case having 2 channels on one transponder equals more bandwith avaliable to each channel.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts