Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dish Dropping Disney HD and ESPN News HD

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • The New Receiver fees

Votes: 87 68.5%
  • Dish Won't add ESPNU HD or AMC HD

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters
Now see, I just came from DTV, and I also did the math. I'm saving about $25 a month after the discounts end and have more programming (I don't watch sports)

My bill was $127 a month with standard def and two Tivo units that I owned. Upgraded to HD with one HD DVR (keeping my other Tivo) and my bill went to $157

BTW- I also like that DISH has BBCA and AMC in HD now. DTV doesn't and no word from them.
You realize you could have also gotten free HD with DirecTV as well with Ultimate and higher. From the price you listed, I assume you had the Premier package. Using the highest package they offer, two TVs, DVR service, HD service, HD extra, and the protection plan, there is no way it could have gone up to $157

Premier (everything) is $111
DVR service is $7
Extra receiver is $5
HD fee (free if you were to ask for it) $10
HD extra (if you choose) $5
Protection plan $5
MRV $3

Total: $146

I totaled every possible add on (excluding the sports packages) at full price and can only get $143. Since you do not watch sports, I don't think this was an issue. Where are you getting the extra $11?

Either you set up some weird package and did not realize you could save money doing it the proper way, or you are making it up.

Last edited:
Actually, the question is why is Dish the only provider actually loosing customers (net), period?

Not entirely correct.

The entire paid TV industry, which includes cable, satellite, and phone companies, lost 216,000 customers in the second quarter. A year ago, the industry gained 378,000 new customers, according to SNL Kagan. Six of the eight largest U.S. cable operators reported their worst quarterly video subscriber losses. In total, cable lost 711,000 subscribers in the quarter, the firm reported. Meanwhile, satellite providers DirecTV and Dish networks added about 81,000 new paid TV subscribers. And phone companies, Verizon Communications and AT&T also gained 414,000 new subscribers

Read more: Paid TV subscriptions dip for the first time | Signal Strength - CNET News

Not entirely correct.

The entire paid TV industry, which includes cable, satellite, and phone companies, lost 216,000 customers in the second quarter. A year ago, the industry gained 378,000 new customers, according to SNL Kagan. Six of the eight largest U.S. cable operators reported their worst quarterly video subscriber losses. In total, cable lost 711,000 subscribers in the quarter, the firm reported. Meanwhile, satellite providers DirecTV and Dish networks added about 81,000 new paid TV subscribers. And phone companies, Verizon Communications and AT&T also gained 414,000 new subscribers

Read more: Paid TV subscriptions dip for the first time | Signal Strength - CNET News

:D I'm glad to see someone speaks the truth around here.:up

You realize you could have also gotten free HD with DirecTV as well with Ultimate and higher. From the price you listed, I assume you had the Premier package. Using the highest package they offer, two TVs, DVR service, HD service, HD extra, and the protection plan, there is no way it could have gone up to $157

Premier (everything) is $111
DVR service is $7
Extra receiver is $5
HD fee (free if you were to ask for it) $10
HD extra (if you choose) $5
Protection plan $5
MRV $3

Total: $146

I totaled every possible add on (excluding the sports packages) at full price and can only get $143. Since you do not watch sports, I don't think this was an issue. Where are you getting the extra $11?

Either you set up some weird package and did not realize you could save money doing it the proper way, or you are making it up.

Did D* drop the price on Premier?.Without discounts it use to be $114.99?.:confused:

Did D* drop the price on Premier?.Without discounts it use to be $114.99?.:confused:
Still is.

Family $29.99" Not advertised but available"
Select $39.99 " Not Advertised but available"
Choice $58.99
Choice Extra $63.99
Choice Ultimate $68.99
Choice Premier $114.99
Optional Fee's
DVR fee $7
HD Access $10
HD Extra $4.99
MRV $3
ALL addtional receivers after the first $5
Protection Plan $5.99

???? Splain yourself. The OP melted down over $6.00 DVR fee, then goes to Direct to pay $7.00. What's the problem?
I am not denying that he will pay $7 for DVR service, I am stating that he may not necessarily be paying $7 more on his total bill. If you read his ridiculous rant, it is not the amount, but the misconception. Even though the DVR service will be more with Direct, his total bill MAY be less

Still is.

Family $29.99" Not advertised but available"
Select $39.99 " Not Advertised but available"
Choice $58.99
Choice Extra $63.99
Choice Ultimate $68.99
Choice Premier $114.99
Optional Fee's
DVR fee $7
HD Access $10
HD Extra $4.99
MRV $3
ALL addtional receivers after the first $5
Protection Plan $5.99
How does he come up with $157 for only two TVs?

I don't know.

$150.97 is what I come up with without Tax.

Now in PA we have to pay 6% sales tax, That would put it over $157 for me.
$160.03 to be exact.
OK. Then I guess if he happens to have every possible add on, excluding sports, with all channels, and lives in a very high taxed state, then he can get a bill that high.

He lives in CA, the same state I live in. The only tax is a few cents on the additional receiver fee. So there is no way his bill is that high. Plus he said it went up $30 just for adding HD

If his bill was originally $127 as he claimed, it must have been like this:

Premier - $114
DVR - $7
Extra Receiver - $5

Total - $126

Just adding HD would give in an extra $10 (which he could have gotten for free)

Total - $136 (not close to $157)

If he also added the HD extra for $5 and the protection plan for $6 his total will now be $11 more

Total - $147

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts