Why Can't I get Nimiq 82 on Dual LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cashguru

Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
Here's the short version of the problem.

Bought a BEV 6100 (HD) receiver. Was misinformed as to what I needed to recieve both Nimiq 91 and Nimiq 82. Once I got the receiver set up figured out that I needed dual LNB. For 1 month until I got the correct hardware from Bell, I turned my dish to give me the feed off of the Nimiq 82 (HD channels). It worked fine, only I did not receive all the regular programming from bell. Yesterday, I finally received the correct hardware. When I try to get a feed on my receiver, it only picks up the Nimiq 91 sat. When I go to the dish signal strength page under the nimiq 82, it says (in red) wrong sat - 91. The signal strength is the same as the nimiq 91, but is in red.

Also when I do a switch test, it comes back saying that only one satellite is connected. Is this because the dish is not at the right angle, or is the switch not functioning? I called Bell and they said it would be after Christmas before they could get a service person to come see :mad: :mad:

Any ideas?

You don't need a "dual" LNB to receive two sats. You need 2 LNBs. A dual LNB has two outputs for feeding one sat to 2 receivers. You want to feed 2 sats to one receiver.
How many LNBs do you have now? You must have 2 and they must be connected to the SW21 switch. One cable must be coming out of the switch to your receiver.
Also, in order to receive the 2 sats, you must have a 20'' dish, not 18''. The 20'' dish has skew adjuster on the back, the 18'' hasn't. You need to adjust that too in order to get bot 82 and 91.

Sorry, I have Twin (2) Lnbs not Dual

I used the wrong terminoligy...I have the 2 lnb's going into the Y bracket with RG6 coax coming out from each LNB to a SW21 switch. I did change my 18" dish for a 20" dish as well.

I think you might be right on the skew though...I think the knowledgeable :confused: people at Bell gave me the wrong readings for elevation and skew in my area.

Do this:
Set skew (if not done) and do not change it
Hook cable directly to 91 LNB
find 91 sat
hookup sw21
run check switch
You should now get both 91 & 82 and can adjust dish slightly more if needed.

Thanks N0qcu, that sounds like it will work. I'll try it tonight and let you know if it works.

I bet you are picking up the 91 bird with the the 82 LNB location on your dish thus leaving the 82 LNB 9 degrees too far south where it is picking up nothing.

Do as Kevin mentioned and you will be fine.

Worked perfectly!!! Why would the service people at Bell not have the same easy step by step solution that Kevin gave me. It does not explain this in the owners manual of the receiver either (from what I read).

Thanks guys...I have both now.

Colin

I am having the exact same problem;
I have been troubleshooting this, did a direct LNB cable test - the 82LNB reads the 91 sat, the 91LNB sees nothing.

I do have a couple of questions, given this situation:
1. my location being Toronto, you would expect the dish will need to be turned 9 or so degrees towards the west (or clockwise). Is that correct - or am I going the wrong direction?
2. Given I see the 91 sat from the 82LNB do I need to do any elevation adjustments to see 91 & 82 sats from their respective LNBs?

thanks in advance.
gmal

the trick worked for me also.
I now see both sats with > 95% signal strength on both.

I was pointed too far to the west. That became apparent once I tested reception on each individual LNB - and determined the 82LNB was picking up the 91sat.
I connected directly to the 91LNB and turned the dish 9 degrees to the south till I found the sat. Did a bit of elevation & azim tuning to get best signal on 91, and next check in on 82. Sure enough it was there, as it should be, on the 82LNB.

Thanks to all for the diagnosis and help.
gmal

gmal said:
the trick worked for me also.
I now see both sats with > 95% signal strength on both.

I was pointed too far to the west. That became apparent once I tested reception on each individual LNB - and determined the 82LNB was picking up the 91sat.
I connected directly to the 91LNB and turned the dish 9 degrees to the south till I found the sat. Did a bit of elevation & azim tuning to get best signal on 91, and next check in on 82. Sure enough it was there, as it should be, on the 82LNB.

Thanks to all for the diagnosis and help.
gmal

Hey ,

where are you located? US or Canada? I"M in california, and having trouble getting BOTH birds. It is either one or the other.
Thanks

I am awaiting my BEV system for install and am wondering a couple of things. How do I find the skew angle? I will follow the steps provided here to find my signal but I am primarily concerned with HD so I should focus on the bird at 82 I guess. How is the HD picture quality on BEV. I have been reading info and not heard anything good really. Please someone tell me I did not make a mistake buying this system.

Thanks,
Mike

You didnt make a mistake on buying the system. EVu puts 2 HD cdhannels per TP (or 1 HD and a couple SD channels) so Ive heard the picture is good.

I PM'd you some info..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)