Why can't they just port 942 software to 921?

KingsFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 4, 2005
Maybe this has already been addressed, but why can't they just port the obviously superior 942 software over to the 921? (removing the multi-room capabilities of course). It make no sense for a company to maintain the large number of software baselines that E* does.

The 921 is discontinued and after the mpeg4 transition early next year for hd subs, I doubt there will be any 921s out there. It really doesn't make sense to try to "fix " the software anylonger. I just hope they finish fixing the 942 software so it will be easy to Port the software to the new mpeg4 replacement ; the 962. :rolleyes:

As a current 921 user that transition may come too late as I've just about had my fill of lockups, missed timers, 0 sec recordings, etc.

But, my main point is why are they maintaining a separate software baseline for each box they have? Why don't they have a single baseline and concentrate their efforts on perfecting it?

KingsFan said:
Maybe this has already been addressed, but why can't they just port the obviously superior 942 software over to the 921? (removing the multi-room capabilities of course). It make no sense for a company to maintain the large number of software baselines that E* does.
The 921 has different hardware than the 942, even though they have simular capabilities. Therefore the drivers would be totally different. Also the 942 is better both from a hardware and software perspective because it evolved from the 921 so many of the bottlenecks were improved in the next revision.

Actually, I think the 942 evolved from the 522/625, NOT the 921.

The 921 came from the 721, which did NOT come from the 501/508/510.

SO, what we have are three different familys of Dish DVR, soon to be one - the 962, evolved from the 942.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)