why complain about price increases ?

Switching is a pain in the but. For example finding the kids channels on Dish Network is easy as the kids have used it for 8 years but my youngest son now sleeps in a DirecTV room and I had to print up a DirecTV chart so he could find the channels he watches. . . . .

last night my oldest daughter (almost 18) was in a panic as she thought her Model 1000 reciever was broken as she was unable to find WABC Dish Network 245. I had to explain to her that she could... A. watch an over the air signal downstairs in the lower living room.. B. Watch WABC on DirecTV in the family room or C. Kick her little brother out of his bedroom and watch in there. . . .

Well option B was her first choice but the point is its a real pain in the but having the big 4 on one service and the little two MY and Network and CW on other TV's.

Point is had I not had DirecTV in the grandmothers room I would not go threw the hassle to switch services just for a few channels.

I sit back and laugh at many of these folks who say they are leaving and going to another provider.

While I don't like price increases, what are the alternatives?

Fios? Its only available in very limted areas, and they just announced an 8% price increase.

DirecTV? As I posted yesterday its rumored DirecTV will be soon announcing a price increase which will take effect in March.

Cable? Here in our area cable went up 12%

What is Dish going up? Nothing if you have the Family Package or the AT60 (Now AT100 package) and $3 if you have AT120 or AT180 package. The Everypackage is going up $5 because the cost of premiums are going up (HBO and Cinemax)

I find $3 or even $5 reasonable when you look at how much everything else is going up. Look when gas was near $4 a gallon, people said oh my god gas is so expensive, yet no one stopped using gas and in fact in some areas gas sales went UP when the price was high.

If you want satellite prices to stay the same call ESPN and tell them to stop spending millions and millions of dollars for these sports packages. Call HBO and tell them to stop spending millions on making great shows like the Sorpranos. Someone pays those costs and unfortunately its us.

Thiink about it for a moment, what could you buy for $3? A coffee from Starbucks? (Might be a few cents short) a happy meal at McDonnalds? (That might be more then $3 too... You can't even buy a pack of smokes for $3. So whats $3 for entertainment that you enjoy?

Think about it, yes we are not happy there is another price increase but is it really that bad? And if it really is then what are the alternatives?

Just something to make you think. :)

A very intellegent and thought out post. Thanks Scott. $3 a month for the next year is $36. Once a month not stopping at Starbucks for a latte and you have paid for it.

A very intellegent and thought out post. Thanks Scott. $3 a month for the next year is $36. Once a month not stopping at Starbucks for a latte and you have paid for it.

For some of us (with PlatinumHD packs) it is a $10.00 per month increase, or $120 per year. Not so reasonable.

And if we go to a lower tier, we get hit with DVR fees. In my case $17.94 per month. Not so reasonable.

Price increases are inevitable, but I resent it when the providers (of anything) seem justified in raising their prices more than "reasonable". That's the kicker - what's reasonable for one is unreasonable for another. I generally tie my thinking to my own annual raise, which last year was a moderate 3.8%. Any price increase in excess of that rate gets my attention.

So what's reasonable overall? I think most would belly-up to general increases tied to the CPI, for example, without blinking an eye. But look at what the average working Joe is faced with, and it becomes a real heartburn! Health care and tuition up double digits - again! Local taxes projected for a 6+% increase, primarily driven by organized labor contracts and healthcare increases. On and on ad nauseum. I complain for a while, then move on.

Re: programming increases, I'm all in favor of the ala carte plans, but I don't think any provider would allow that pricing scheme wholesale. To be sure, there are quite a few channels that would disappear altogether, and that would certainly upset the limited viewers. Perhaps if they could just break-out the major cost drivers like ESPN/2 to premium tiers, or better yet, PPV, then we might be able to cap the general increases to a more reasonable level...

If you want satellite prices to stay the same call ESPN and tell them to stop spending millions and millions of dollars for these sports packages. Call HBO and tell them to stop spending millions on making great shows like the Sorpranos. Someone pays those costs and unfortunately its us.

Or maybe keep the legal costs down a bit.

After the DNS boondoggle and the D1000 that does not work in the rain here in the PNW Dish should be giving rebates, not increases.

I spend more on my dish bill than on automotive fuel per month.

I would feel a lot better about increases if they had not shipped so many CS jobs overseas.

I complain because as a paid subscriber I have the right.

For some of us (with PlatinumHD packs) it is a $10.00 per month increase, or $120 per year. Not so reasonable.

And if we go to a lower tier, we get hit with DVR fees. In my case $17.94 per month. Not so reasonable.

Exactly! Those in DishFamily or AT60 will see 0 change. Those without HD (and not in DF or AT60) will see $3 increase or $5 for AEP. All reasonable. AEP+HD being a $10/month increase does stink, but I guess we just got spoiled.

What really stinks for me is I activated with E* on November 1st, so I'll only be getting that $5/month HD discount for a few months. Oh well, atleast I'll have $20/month in rebates (if they ever show up!) and I've referred 3 people so far, so that's another $15/month savings for 10 months.

I'm gonna have to go into sales mode occasionally to keep 5 people referred at all times (max of $25/month in referral credits) to keep some savings. :)

Thiink about it for a moment, what could you buy for $3? A coffee from Starbucks? (Might be a few cents short) a happy meal at McDonnalds? (That might be more then $3 too... You can't even buy a pack of smokes for $3. So whats $3 for entertainment that you enjoy?

My bill is going up $10. 5 for AEP 5 for HD.... With $10 I could buy my lunch for 5 days. I eat cheap :)

With $10 I pay half of my phone bill...

I can do lots with $10.....

Really? That's $2.00 per day. What can you buy for $2.00? Chips and soda?

Yes... Good Grilled Cheese Sandwich comes to $2.00 from across the street from where I work...

Loaded with Lettuce, tomatoe, mayo....

Makes for a good quick lunch... I'm lucky to get the time to eat that... :) I usually take a couple minutes to check on here during lunch....

Sometimes don't get to take lunch until 3 or 4PM

OR

.99 double cheeseburger from mcd's and sm drink....

or .99 chicken sand and sm drink

or .99 ham and cheese and sm drink

I can go on and on...

I save as much money as I can.... Where I work doesn't have any type of retirement, or benefits, so I save toward retirement and medical bills, etc...

Where I don't skimp is my TV... Thats pretty much my only entertainment.... But $10 is still crazy... $5 for AEP I completely understand.... $5 for HD---nope

Last edited:
Yes... Good Grilled Cheese Sandwich comes to $2.00 from across the street from where I work...

Loaded with Lettuce, tomatoe, mayo....

Makes for a good quick lunch... I'm lucky to get the time to eat that... :) I usually take a couple minutes to check on here during lunch....

Sometimes don't get to take lunch until 3 or 4PM

Man, that sounds good for $2.00. I spend an average of $9.00 for lunch around here.

everyone makes choices, my choice is not to get HD, and am just fine with not having it. Yours was to get onto the HD bandwagon which no one ever promised was going to be cheap, television wise or content wise. Do I like paying higher prices for gas, for my groceries, my utilities, my tv, nope, but unless someone has some bright ideas on how none of us will have to pay more for the things we use then...

Would someone please explain to me why you complain about E* price increases ?

I try to limit complaints to keep my frustration and my blood pressure down.

If I cannot afford a price increase (E* or phone or insurance or internet), then I:

(a) stay with the service but go to a lower tier or

(b) stay with the service but lower the cost on one of the other services or

(c) go to another service at a lower cost

TIA

3 or 4 times inflation, DISH 10% price incress is kind of steep. Their just being GREEDY now.

look on the bright side guys

ExpressVu (Canadian satellite company), their basic package went up $4

What's that - about 50 cents US? :) (Just kidding)

I am not complaining about the increase. I do, however think that the Dish HD package is becoming a bit overpriced at $20. Except for sports and an occasional concert, nearly all HD channels are either overly repetitive or show programs/episodes that I have already seen in SD. I'd like to be wowed by fresh or unique HD content - not simply repeats or old series and movies.

I don't understand why technology products (TV's DVD Players etc.) are going down in price while technology services (Dish, Cable etc) are going up? With the lastest technology you would think prices would go down!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)