why complain about price increases ?

I don't understand why technology products (TV's DVD Players etc.) are going down in price while technology services (Dish, Cable etc) are going up? With the lastest technology you would think prices would go down!

You are purchasing services, not hardware, wages and salaries are going up so the cost of buying productions goes up as does the cost of delivering it.

Prices are going up on content / software.

I believe the basis for this complaining is that Dish's prices are going up at a rate that is well above the rate of inflation.

AT120: Up 6%
AEP: Up 5.9%
HD-Plat: Up 10%

U.S. inflation rate for first 11 months of 2006: 2.2%

If E* had raised prices across the board by about 3%, I think there would be far less complaining.

Prices are going up on content / software.

I believe the basis for this complaining is that Dish's prices are going up at a rate that is well above the rate of inflation.

AT120: Up 6%
AEP: Up 5.9%
HD-Plat: Up 10%

U.S. inflation rate for first 11 months of 2006: 2.2%

If E* had raised prices across the board by about 3%, I think there would be far less complaining.

Hear Hear! I can understand a reasonable rate increase, but not this.

I went from AEP to AT180 after last year's increase. If you order premium channels here is how you can save some dough and perhaps improve your service. Use your DVR to record a bunch of movies for a month or two (however long you need to record a bunch of movies) then cancel the movie package(s). You have all those movies on your hard drive (your own version of On Demand) and you can watch them anytime you want without the extra monthly fee, just the one time fee of the cost of the package plus the $5 downgrade fee evertyime you order the package to get the movies put back onto the hard drive. I do this when the free previews come on. I recomend getting one package at a time when doing this then getting a different package the next time to get a better variety. This would work GREAT for those that pay all that money for the adult channels. Record a bunch of them then watch them as needed without the reoccuring high monthly rate that they charge.

I recommend that everyone Downgrade your service with Dish and use either Block Buster or NEtFlix to get your premium movie fix. If you can stand it then lose the hd channels as well . IF enough of us start downgrading it will make Dish lose money and they will have to look at the way they are charging for their hd channels.

I think $20.00 is to much to charge for the Voom-Repeat channels and a handfull of National hd channels. For Dish to SCREW their Hd Plat customers like this with a $10.00 increase is plain stupid. THis will keep others from upgrading to hd as well. So instead of growing their hd customer base they have made it a sure thing that people will now wait to upgrade.

DISH needs to return back to their customer friendly Pricing structure and quit gouging their subs. ELIMINATE all those Damn made up FEES and you might actually make the price increases easier to take. Most of what I 'm complaining about is that the fees are making it impossible for anyone to downgrade to lower packs without getting Hit with the Nuscience made up fees like the hd enabeling fees PER RECEIVER, the dvr fees PER RECEIVER and the PHONE FEE if not connected. I can only shudder to think what the fee will be for the Internet access in February , using your own internet access provider.

DISH you are making it impossible to stay with your company or to recommend it to friends because of your GREEDY attitude and all those FEES. The price increases every year since 2000 doesn't help either. Seven price increases every year since 2000 is way over the cost of inflation.

BRING ON ALA CARTE!

The Platinum package price increase is definately several times the rate of inflation.

Many years of jacking prices much faster than the rate of inflation is what got the cable industry into hot water with many of their subscribers and pushed people toward satellite service.

Dish management: Be afraid. Be very afraid. You idiots. You are destroying your big advantage over cable. You twits.

For Dish to SCREW their Hd Plat customers like this with a $10.00 increase is plain stupid.

I posted ealier in this thread that my gripe with the increase is that they are taking away the $5 HD discount for Platinum without admitting it. If you look at the coverage that was posted on this site by POKE, they are not only not admitting that they are taking away the $5 discount, they are proudly announcing that it is in the best interest of the consumer:

"Does EchoStar's HDTV pricing structure seem a little confusing? Well, if you do, you're in luck. The satcaster said today that it will make its HDTV programming package a simple $20 monthly addition to any Dish Network package. "

According to E* they are not taking anything away, they are helping the consumer understand their "confusing" pricing teir. They had a re-branding 10 months ago to use a marketing cover to the price increase. They are re-branding again to use a marketing cover to the price increase. I know prices are going to go up, I just wish the company would be honest and not use smoke and mirrors to try and hide what is happenning.

Really? That's $2.00 per day. What can you buy for $2.00? Chips and soda?
Actually at costco you can buy hotdog and soda for 1.50. Now that can get you more then five days. :)
In general I do agree with Scott, compared to other providers rate increases dish rate increase is modest.

I think I've figured out WHY people Dish Platinum lost the $5 discount.

All the other Dish HD packages cost $20 more, Platnium was the only one that cost $15 more. WHY? to make the $99.99 price point. Now that AEP is $5 more, dish no longer reaches the $99.99 price point. I also remember Charlie kind of complaining about this on the Charlie Chat (the fact that Dish Plat was only $15), he said when he saw it something like "Oh, I guess they had to make a price point." Or something.

They are punishing the High end Hd customers by pushing this $10.00 increase in one year. IF they want more people to go with the most programming and transition to hd receivers then this is not the way to do it. Taking away the $5.00 discount and adding the $5.00 increase in programming pack is going to cause more people to down grade their programming or even churn .

I can not recommend Dish now to anyone I know because of this price increase and because of all their FEES , that hit you if you try to downgrade your programming with an hd receiver.

I will not forget this 7th increase in a row since 2000 since the $10.00 is the highest I have ever heard any cable or satellite company charge in one year EVER. THIS is where I draw the line. I can understand the yearly price increases brought on by the different networks like ESPN etc , but the FEES are all DISH's fault. They need to not only repackage their programming packs , but they need to do away with most of their made up FEES.

The dvr fee- should be per account NOT PER RECEIVER.
The hd enabeling fee- You shouldn't be charged for something you get free over the air on your on damn antenna. THis fee is pure GREED especially if it is charged PER HD RECEIVER.

THe hd pack in itself is not worth $20.00. They should include all HD versions of the sd channels for FREE , just like they do the HBO,Showtime and STARZ premium channels in HD. THey should not charge for these channels if you already have the sd version in your programming packs. IF not then the hd pack will continue to grow in price every year. Placing the hope of hd right out of the hands of most Dish subscribers.

THis combination of high price increases and FEES if you downgrade are pricing DISH right out of the hands of most customers. I have already downgraded to the top 120 + hd (for now) or the Silver pack with locals. When another increase comes next year and it exceeds the $3.00 increase, or if Dish wants to hike the price of HD pack even more , then I will cut that out as well.

Would someone please explain to me why you complain about E* price increases ?

I try to limit complaints to keep my frustration and my blood pressure down.

If I cannot afford a price increase (E* or phone or insurance or internet), then I:

(a) stay with the service but go to a lower tier or

(b) stay with the service but lower the cost on one of the other services or

(c) go to another service at a lower cost

TIA

i'll go with C.

I recommend that everyone Downgrade your service with Dish and use either Block Buster or NEtFlix to get your premium movie fix. If you can stand it then lose the hd channels as well . IF enough of us start downgrading it will make Dish lose money and they will have to look at the way they are charging for their hd channels.

I think $20.00 is to much to charge for the Voom-Repeat channels and a handfull of National hd channels. For Dish to SCREW their Hd Plat customers like this with a $10.00 increase is plain stupid. THis will keep others from upgrading to hd as well. So instead of growing their hd customer base they have made it a sure thing that people will now wait to upgrade.

DISH needs to return back to their customer friendly Pricing structure and quit gouging their subs. ELIMINATE all those Damn made up FEES and you might actually make the price increases easier to take. Most of what I 'm complaining about is that the fees are making it impossible for anyone to downgrade to lower packs without getting Hit with the Nuscience made up fees like the hd enabeling fees PER RECEIVER, the dvr fees PER RECEIVER and the PHONE FEE if not connected. I can only shudder to think what the fee will be for the Internet access in February , using your own internet access provider.

DISH you are making it impossible to stay with your company or to recommend it to friends because of your GREEDY attitude and all those FEES. The price increases every year since 2000 doesn't help either. Seven price increases every year since 2000 is way over the cost of inflation.

BRING ON ALA CARTE!

Why move back to the "customer knows best" era when whether they do or don't people will still pay? Doesn't make much business sense, certainly not for a company aiming for the top. Again, (though I'll be saying this long past when I'm blue in the face) you can either pay it or not. But the numbers speak for themselves. 13 mil and going.

If you want satellite prices to stay the same call ESPN and tell them to stop spending millions and millions of dollars for these sports packages. Call HBO and tell them to stop spending millions on making great shows like the Sorpranos. Someone pays those costs and unfortunately its us.

If you look at your comment above, your two examples are not the same. If I don't care about the millions that HBO is spending, I can vote with my wallet and not subscribe to HBO (which I do subscribe to).

Tell me how to vote with my wallet for ESPN, other than not getting any paid television delivery service. Can I switch to *D? Can I go to cable? We can't tell ESPN to stop spending money, we are not their customers, Dish is. Dish can tell them to stop spending money, but ESPN doesn't listen to them. They don't have to. Don't want ESPN? Not a problem. You cannot have ABC or Disney.

Eventually, they will crank up the fees so high that the backlash will be a la carte forced on them legally. And they will have done it to themselves.

Can I drop ESPN and save the cost of the subscription, please? Instead of me subsidising sports fans, let them pay their own way. I'll pay mine, too.

Thank goodness for my 942 and OTA HD. I only subscribe to AT120 (no premiums) and get every HD local available to which my 942 dutifully records while not bothering my other two SD tuners. As long as I'm content being a year behind the world in watching HBO/Showtime (which I am) Netflix is my savior because anything good eventually shows up on DVD. $3.00 a month isn't fun but I'm not gonna make a stink. There are ways to keep your monthly bill down if you want to.

Being grandfathered in for $1.99 warranty doesn't hurt either....

At $1.99/month for warranty, you've paid a lot more than I have for warranty plus repairs over 8.5 years of subbing to E*. I've never paid a warranty fee and have never had a repair or equipment failure.

In the last 18 months my $1.99 warranty replaced a 508 with a bad drive, 2 remotes and a DP-34 switch.

NightRyder

I pay the $1.99 and am on my sixth 721. Great box, when it works.

I think Dish lost money on that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)