Why did I get a 921 and stay with Dish...

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I am wondering if Directv's HD-DVRs are better than Dish? My 921 is 2 weeks old and locks up occasionally needing a reboot or 2-3 minutes to catch up with itself. When viewing any recodred HD or rewound HD the audio drops out every minute or so for a second or so. Hours on phone with Dish and they finally decide to swap my 921, I did not give them much choice, either swap it or refund. I told them I want a NEW one, no refurbs. Well guess what the refurb shows today. I don;t even hook it up. Spend another 1+ hour on phone with Tech support that says send it back and try agin. Then escalated it to customer service, well surprise I was talking to Inda and it took 30 minutes for them to understand what I meant by a refurb, rebuilt or whatever they want to call it. Then they try to convince me refurb is better then new, funny 30 minutes early they didn't know what a refurb was! I get an escalation person who says all swaps are refrubs. SO I say fine I will return the refurb then we can RMA/Refund my 1 week old 921 and maybe I will buy a new one or maybe I'll dump Dish and go to Directv. They say they will call me tomorrow and see what they can do, but in all honesty I doubt they will do much. So is Directv offering thei HD-DVR for less than $999? Is the HD on Directv equal to or better than Dish? Funny thing is I left Directv 5 years ago after being with them for 4 years due to poor customer service and unwilling to upgrade my old equipment.

The problems you are having have nothing at all to do with the 921 hardware - it's the last software release (L211). Over at the 921 Support Forum on dbstalk.com you can read alll about this disaster of an update and the mess it has made of things. Keep your new 921, and wait for the next software update, or get your money back and go running to D*. I wish I could.

Well, I am very happy with my HD DVR 921 after I got the new software (L211).
If you bought it, I will request a new one because it is too soon for a refurb receiver. Otherwise, request you money back and get a new one from COSTCO or local dealer. I'm a Dish Net dealer and always replace the "BAD" receiver for a new one If the customer paid for it during the first 90 days(Not apply DHA customer). Good luck! :rolleyes:

kluken said:
Then escalated it to customer service, well surprise I was talking to Inda and it took 30 minutes for them to understand what I meant by a refurb, rebuilt or whatever they want to call it. .
E* should be ashamed of taking jobs out of this country by using a call service in another county. I just love talking to someone who doesn't understand what I'm saying and whom I don't understand what they are saying. Good work Dish Network. This makes for excellent customer service, NOT!

I kept the 921 for 24 days and realized that it was junk and that E* was no longer supporting the 921 (no NBR, poor OTA guide support). I did send it back and I now have the D* HD Tivo.

I could not be happier. The machine works great. I have had it two weeks and have no bugs to report. The HD records great from satellite or OTA HD broadcast.

If you want to enjoy HD recordings abd not deal with constant problems, get the HD Tivo with D*.

Is that price for if you are a new Dish Customer? Or are they just flat out selling the box for 489$ to any Joe from off the street? BTW, I can't find it ANYWHERE on their website.

Costco doesn't sell the 921 on their web site. It's in store only for $489+tax for anyone. There is a sheet inside the box that gives a number to call for free installation (of the 921 only) if you need it and are willing to wait 5-10 days or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts