Why did I wait so long?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crimefighter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Well I recieved and installed my Pansat 2700a over the last couple of days. Used my exsisting 10ft echostar that has fairly bad hail damage, a Echostar 40deg LNB C band only and the exsisting actuator. I tryed to slave a Country and Town reciever, that was a partical success but not totally able to use both in a true slave fashion. Anyway I am using the analog to move and identify the sats then switching to the FTA for veiwing. the FTA was a huge success. So far it has been easy going. Im sure there is a learning curve but right now I am impressed how quickly I had it running. I have G16 at 99deg and AMC6 at 72 deg as a test. Have signal strenght at 80-85 and quality from 40- 65 % locks on all transponders. dont think thats bad for first time out of the box. Still looking for a Ku Lnb/feed horn. Will do some tweaking too but very happy so far!

he's hooked he's hooked reel him in :D

Warning Warning this hobby is very adictive and can be expensive when you start to gather more toys :)

the more you learn the more you will want to tune on that old dish :)

hehe, good for you, you got it going. Don't throw out that old c-band dish, its gold. Mine is old and hail dented too but it works great, c-band is where all the hd stuff is plus lots of interesting feeds. Congrats on your success:up

Sadly, there is no cure, only treatments. Some of which will do you lots of good, some will just depress you. And some of us have gotten side effects, it's given me double vision (at times) from all the treatments (multiple receivers), I've tried, trying to cure myself of this addiction. Every time they come out with a new treatment, I'm tempted to give it a try. It's a never ending story, there is no cure.

C band is a much better addiction then many others out there, it's a lot of fun too. The sky did not fall as many claim, it just moved over to digital. I have at least 300 channels stored in my Pansat currently. If I stored everything up there Im sure I would have 1000. Enjoy the hobby, and yes your not done :)

Yes it is certainly an obsession!

I spent 6 hours on the 4th of July adjusting a C/KU feedhorn on my 1.2m Channel Master. I then spent another 6 hours on Saturday and another 6 hours on Sunday adjusting before removing the C/KU feedhorn and reinstalling the KU feedhorn. I just couldn't pull myself away from it in order to get other stuff done during the weekend. :)

I can see why you guys say its an addiction...I havent had time to work on it the last couple of days, ..something about making hay when the sun shines...think Ive been having withdrawls already...and..Im shopping for a spot on this 80acres to plant a 12ft. Trouble is trees on the horizon have one good spot but it is about 200ft from house...think thats long for a cable lay? Think if I use that spot I could get down to about 35-40 degs...not as low in the west...unless............chainsaws!!!!!!

i rolled my ribbon cable out 250 ft and worked fine. so it shouldn't be a problem with good cable. if you make your own cable use good coax and use large enough motor & sensor wires.

if your actuator is a west mount ( right side) be careful of the east limit and actuator arm seperation.

Think if I use that spot I could get down to about 35-40 degs...not as low in the west...unless............chainsaws!!!!!!
if this is you second system you can set one for all the west sats and set the second one up for most of the east sats and have them covered.

I can see why you guys say its an addiction...I havent had time to work on it the last couple of days, ..something about making hay when the sun shines...think Ive been having withdrawls already...and..Im shopping for a spot on this 80acres to plant a 12ft. Trouble is trees on the horizon have one good spot but it is about 200ft from house...think thats long for a cable lay? Think if I use that spot I could get down to about 35-40 degs...not as low in the west...unless............chainsaws!!!!!!

Winegard installation chart has the following:

Cable Usage 150' 200' 250' 300'

Power for LNB 20Ga 18Ga 16Ga 16Ga

Actuator Cable 18Ga 16Ga 14Ga 14Ga

gabspere, Yes this would be my second dish, connected to the same receiver ( pansat) have a plan to use the dicsque for the polarity/dish selection and a homemade multi pole switch for choosing between actuators. Part of that plan considered using one dish for east one for west as you mentioned, additionally once i find a ku feedhorn then I have to re-plumb the thing again...

this is where a H to H type motor would be a big help in getting both east & west sats then you have no actuator limits.

another thing to consider is since its a second system is to have its own receiver ( since prices seem to be down on regular DVB receivers with everyone going HD & DVB-S2 then you could scan twice as many satellites at once watch twice as many channels ect

also a g-box type of mover but your planned setup is the cheaper way to setup :)

Yuuuup....things to consider, I remember seeing an advertisment or something from Mike at Global ? That he called the "the hill-billy cable system"...I liked that concept...as I said before economy is a goal but not really a requirement. Ill just let this thing take me where it wants to for awhile.

I don't know if I like the idea of motors or actuators. I WANT MORE DISHES!! Just have to get the holes dug, the posts up and the concrete poured!
I would go with dishes where ever you can get the most satellites with the fewest dishes, BUT, no, I am not going that way, cause I would only need one! Well maybe 2 because of the actuator limitations.

I too have thought about the multi dish idea...I have several BUDS and access to others ...scrounging here has been good...was thinking last night while working that a multi dish set up if for no other reason has a COOL FACTER un equalled by much....I was looking at the local cable system headend reciever station...8 dishes ranging from 7.5 to 14ft...thought to myself...I could beat that...!!!...what did someone call it?...a disease???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)