Why did the installer run cable from 1 dish to another?

Scorpion.sting

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Logansport, IN
Hi Guys

I had my install done back in February 2006. Here is what the installer did and also the equipment that I have.

I have a dish 500 pointed at 61.5 for HD and I have a dish 500 pointed at 110 & 119. The installer ran the cable from the 61.5 dish clear over to the other dish 500 which looks at 110 & 119, then ran 3 lines of cable from the 110 & 119 sat dish into my house. Why does the 61.5 have to run to the other dish before it goes into my house? Isnt their a way to run the 61.5 dish cable directly into my house?

I have 1 - 411 HD Receiver and a 625 DVR.
I have the HD Plat Pak also.

Any help would be appreciated :)

The dish pointed at 110+119 is probably using a Dish Pro Plus twin. The second dish pointed at 61.5 then plugs into that twin. There should only be two cables running down into your house.

Look at the check switch screen on one of your receivers. What does it say.

Scorpion.sting said:
Dave

Is their any way to change this setup? I got tons of cable being wasted with this cable setup.

Thanks for your help

The only way to change it would be to replace the DPP twin with a regular DP twin, or 2 DP singles, and use a DP34. I dont know your exact situation, but if it's working and u didnt have to pay for the cable, who cares how much is up there. If the cable wasnt attached neatly, or it's unsafe, call the installer back and make him clean it up.

rather than run 60 feet of cable from the 61.5 dish to the 110 & 119 dish I would rather run 20 feet from 61.5 dish to my house and bypass running it to the 110 & 119 dish first.

If you really want to change it, then you'll need a DP Plus 44 switch installed between the ground block(s) and where the receiver lines go into the house.

Do not use a DP 34 switch. If you do, you'll have to run an additional line to your dual-tuner 625 DVR receiver (meaning quite possibly either another hole in your wall or floor behind the receiver) and you'll find yourself wishing you had just buried the 60 feet of coax from the 61.5 dish to the other dish.

And to be quite honest, if I was called out to your house to change this, I wouldn't even consider or give you the choice of using the DP 34 switch.

I would either bury the 60 feet of cable (however, you are charged a certain amount per foot over 50 feet) or put the DP Plus 44 switch in.

But, the DP 34 switch, no way would I waste my time and your time messing with it in this situation. It is just not a good option at all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)