Why did they have to call it 622?

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I wonder why E* decided in a last minute action to call it a 622 and not 962 as printed on the motherboard. For outstanders it sounds like the 625 must be superior over the 622. It's like if BMW would call their new flagship 4-series or 450i instead of 7-series/750i. That odesn't make sense. A potential BMW customer wouldn't like to buy the flagship called 4-series, as it sounds like it's just a little bigger than a 3-series. I would have liked 962 better instead.
Nevertheless, I can't wait for my "Flagship" 622 to get here.:)

Ok so they will quit making all the others, including 625 and any other SD receiver?
That means in the future new Dish customers will be HD customers automatically?

ralfyguy said:
Ok so they will quit making all the others, including 625 and any other SD receiver?
That means in the future new Dish customers will be HD customers automatically?
Only if they sign up for the HD packs.

I believe that once they stop selling/producing the SD recievers, they will not require you to sign up for one of the DishHD packs in order to lease a one of the new recievers.

Dish has the ability to turn off HD on the new receivers. The satellite is easy they just do not authorize the HD channels. But, now the new receiver's OTA tuners can be turned off by Dish too. So, a standard definition customer can get the same box as the HD customer, but the OTA HD and the Satellite HD are disabled until they decide to upgrade.

Dish wants everyone to eventually have MPEG-4 for all channels. This will dramatically increase the amount of programming they can carry. But, with 20-30 million boxes out there right now they cannot afford to replace them all. But, with a few years of only MPEG-4 going out they will have a large number of people converted over time. Then they can start the conversion.

OTA 942 Cannot be turned off?

Does this mean the non-mpeg4s, particularily the 942 I'm considering, cannot have the OTA HD tuner turned off? There is no "HD-enablement" fee on the 942 for those without HD packs, so I'm thinking of getting one for free OTA and to support my pocketdsh.

dgarlandut said:
Does this mean the non-mpeg4s, particularily the 942 I'm considering, cannot have the OTA HD tuner turned off? There is no "HD-enablement" fee on the 942 for those without HD packs, so I'm thinking of getting one for free OTA and to support my pocketdsh.
Correct, the OTA HD tuner cannot be turned off in the 942. Even if you are not subscribed to Dish, as long as you keep the satelite feeds hooked up to it, you'll be able to use the OTA tuner.

RobertsD said:
Correct, the OTA HD tuner cannot be turned off in the 942. Even if you are not subscribed to Dish, as long as you keep the satelite feeds hooked up to it, you'll be able to use the OTA tuner.
Be careful what you say, because we may find that they CAN turn it off. :(

Remember - it's ALL software-controlled, and the software is forced on you.

mike123abc said:
Well in a few months it will only be Vip211, Vip222 and Vip622, so 622 will be back on top.

Even if this happens, the next wave of receivers might be the 111, 122, and 432.

Dish DVRs
SD: 7100, 7200, 501, 508, 510, 721, 522, 625, x
HD: 921, 942, 622, x

Your Wonderlic test question is: Fill in the values for x.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts