Why did you choose Dish over DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
1st time it was a local installer who was only promoting DISH Network at the local home and garden show. 2nd time the hopper was a free upgrade while the DirecTV HR34 (not genie yet) was a $99 upgrade, plus H2 wasn't in HD on DirecTV. 3rd time, still no PAC 12 Network on DirecTV.

This is an easy choice.

HBO only $10 per month
Showtime only $7.50 per month renewable every 6 months
Welcome Pack only $20 per month
DVR fee only $12 per month
HD free for life in case I ever switch back to one of the "America's Top" packages
and... Hopper with Sling is a fantastic DVR

That is a lot of goodness for under $50 per month.

I joined Dish a long time ago because I lived in an area that did not have locals and my cable company closed. I wanted something that had UPN available to get Star Trek. Dish had the superstations available. I have stayed for many reasons:

External Hard Drive
Hopper
Prime Time Anytime
Dish Anywhere (transfer recordings to my Kindle/iPad)

I joined Dish a long time ago because I lived in an area that did not have locals and my cable company closed. I wanted something that had UPN available to get Star Trek. Dish had the superstations available. I have stayed for many reasons:

External Hard Drive
Hopper
Prime Time Anytime
Dish Anywhere (transfer recordings to my Kindle/iPad)
Sounds like the same reason I went with DISH. Our local CBS affiliate stopped carrying Star Trek Voyager and our local cable company stopped carrying UPN , so DISH had super stations and we got UPN back along with WB and east/west locals. That was back in 97.

I have always had amazing customer service from Dish. I also think the Hopper line is far superior to anything offered by cable or Direct. These forums help a bunch with knowing what to ask and how to ask for it with Dish.

Most of us are what Dish and Directv call "sticky". We started with one of them many years ago and are too lazy to investigate the other guy.
I did investigate Direct just recently. Their promo savings were NOT worth switching, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED!

Reactions: STDog
Because Ive used just about everything else available to me for equipment and Services, so the Dish Hopper was next in line.
Not sure what next August will bring.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I changed to Dish after 12 years with Directv because of price. After changing, the Dish equipment is so much better, I'll never go back. It's faster, better GUI and being able to watch my recordings on my iPad is something unavailable on Directv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: KAB and JSheridan
I am about to be a new Dish custom. They're coming this weekend to set me up. I did a couple of weeks worth of research (including reading lots of this forum) and chose Dish over DirecTV. I am curious, about the rest of you. Why did you choose Dish over DirecTV? Since I have not lived with either before, (currently TWC) I guess I'm hoping to hear that Dish has better quality, better equipment, and better customer service. I hope that the picture is better and that the graphics and user interface are better. I guess, hoping that you all reinforce that I made the correct choice for my family.

I am about to get two of the Hopper 3s. I'm also getting about a half a dozen Joey's 2.0. Apparently, they have to put two different satellite dishes on my roof to accommodate both of the hoppers. Hopefully, I'm also geting the new remote controls with voice search. I believe that's what comes with the Hopper 3's now.

Thank you
I've been wirth Dish for 19 years. Chose them because the programming was cheaper and because back then the equipment was cash and carry, less expensive.....

Sounds like the same reason I went with DISH. Our local CBS affiliate stopped carrying Star Trek Voyager and our local cable company stopped carrying UPN , so DISH had super stations and we got UPN back along with WB and east/west locals. That was back in 97.
Sounds like my story. Got DISH also because they had east and west coast network affiliates, and I missed my New York stations! Stayed with them from 1997 to 2007, when DirecTV came calling with less costly service and more HD channels I wanted. Stuck with them until 2014, when Mediacom cable equalled them in HD channels, and offered the bundle with whole-home TiVo HD for less than I was paying for DirecTV alone.

Well, I chose Dish nearly 10 years ago, because it was cheaper at the time to get the AT250. For me, I wanted a cheap way to get movies, and the AT250 had The Movie Channel and Encore (now Starz Encore), and still does, and it had Boomerang, which my local Xfinity service does not carry to this day, plus a bunch of channels that local cable has added over the years. I stayed for PTAT on the Hopper (even though I'm probably the last sub still using the original Hopper), SiriusXM music in my home, and the overall price difference between out of "new sub" status on both platforms. Directv would cost me more than Dish for what my family watches. The only carrot Directv has is Sunday Ticket, which to me us valued way more than its worth, in comparison to NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, and MLB Extra Innings.

The only carrot Directv has is Sunday Ticket, which to me us valued way more than its worth, in comparison to NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, and MLB Extra Innings.
Supply and demand. DIRECTV charges what they can get for the package. As long as people pay it then it's not over priced. I believe it is priced high in comparison to other packages but people continue to pay so many, including myself, are ok with the price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supply and demand. DIRECTV charges what they can get for the package. As long as people pay it then it's not over priced. I believe it is priced high in comparison to other packages but people continue to pay so many, including myself, are ok with the price point.
Supply and demand applies to competition. A monopoly removes all the supply options so that the demand skyrockets and the price can be hiked to extortion levels. Those who are ok with that are part of the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)