Why did you choose Dish over DirecTV?

To answer the OP's question:

1) Better Technology than Direct TV. The Hopper is in a class of its own.

2) Since I assume you are a college football fan with the Husker avatar I will tell you that Dish is the absolute best for College football. The reason I say this is because of my #1 reason above. With the Hopper I can record 16 games at the same time and with Prim Time anytime I can record 19 games.
With Sports Bar Mode I can do a split screen and watch 4 live games simultaneously. Dish also provides a channel in which I can see 6 games at the same time.
Dish also provides me the Pac 12 Network. (Something that Direct TV does not.)

I am looking forward to this weekend for sure thanks to Dish.

EDIT***

3) Sling Technology built into the Hopper is very convenient on the Go.

Last edited:
Supply and demand. DIRECTV charges what they can get for the package. As long as people pay it then it's not over priced. I believe it is priced high in comparison to other packages but people continue to pay so many, including myself, are ok with the price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need to explain your reasoning. I'm not attacking people who pay for Sunday Ticket, I'm explaining my reasoning for choosing Dish over Directv.

But, to expand that statement. I don't find Sunday Ticket to be worth more than its NBA, NHL, and MLB counterparts. In essence, I get to choose two games per week to completely watch LIVE. I stress live, because I don't watch replayed games, unless they are highly of historical significance, such as the 2004 and 2005 World Series, or the Yankees and Mets first home games after 9/11. I get to watch two games per night on the other services.

There is an alternative to that delimna, which is to switch between games, but then why don't I spend only $13 on the Red Zone on either Dish or my local cable outlet?

Again, preference is preference. My preference is as I just wrote.

This is my second go around w/DISH. This time its been 4 years. I had them before, then I switched to Directv. I came back simply because of the Pac 12 Network. DISH only carries Pac 12 national channel. We could stream all the regionals until 2-1-2016, then DISH stopped letting us do that. If it is not restored soon I will probably leave for cable. I had to say this, but it's likely. Football season will be fine, the Pac 12 games will be on the national channel. But when we get to basketball I am going to need the regional, so that is my drop dead I guess. DISH can get with the program or not. DISH has more to lose than I do, after all customers are leaving in droves.

No need to explain your reasoning. I'm not attacking people who pay for Sunday Ticket, I'm explaining my reasoning for choosing Dish over Directv.

But, to expand that statement. I don't find Sunday Ticket to be worth more than its NBA, NHL, and MLB counterparts. In essence, I get to choose two games per week to completely watch LIVE. I stress live, because I don't watch replayed games, unless they are highly of historical significance, such as the 2004 and 2005 World Series, or the Yankees and Mets first home games after 9/11. I get to watch two games per night on the other services.

There is an alternative to that delimna, which is to switch between games, but then why don't I spend only $13 on the Red Zone on either Dish or my local cable outlet?

Again, preference is preference. My preference is as I just wrote.

RedZone is certainly a viable alternative. I had that with Dish last year and with cable in years past and found it very enjoyable. I did often find myself wanting them to spend more time on one particular game, but I understand they have to cater to all fans, not just me.

It is certainly a more cost effective option and something I may consider if DTV offered a standalone version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am about to be a new Dish custom. They're coming this weekend to set me up. I did a couple of weeks worth of research (including reading lots of this forum) and chose Dish over DirecTV. I am curious, about the rest of you. Why did you choose Dish over DirecTV? Since I have not lived with either before, (currently TWC) I guess I'm hoping to hear that Dish has better quality, better equipment, and better customer service. I hope that the picture is better and that the graphics and user interface are better. I guess, hoping that you all reinforce that I made the correct choice for my family.

I am about to get two of the Hopper 3s. I'm also getting about a half a dozen Joey's 2.0. Apparently, they have to put two different satellite dishes on my roof to accommodate both of the hoppers. Hopefully, I'm also geting the new remote controls with voice search. I believe that's what comes with the Hopper 3's now.

Thank you
I just like the customer service better with Dish than with Directv. I had Directv back in 2005. and their customer service just was not that great. They may have changed and improved, but when it comes to know the answers to tough questions, Dish beats them hands down. With the Hopper 3, the equipment is quick and their signal rarely goes off, unless by storms. Good luck with your new Hopper 3 system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts