Why Dish Network/Satellite?

deepmoz

Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Hey everyone!

I've had Dish Network for over a year now and I have been somewhat pleased with the service. I don't really have a contract with anyone so I can quit anytime and go with another service (Direct TV or Comcast Digial Cable). My question is, what can you all tell me why I should stay with Dish Network? Why is Dish Network or satellite that much better than other options available out there?

deepmoz said:
Hey everyone!
I've had Dish Network for over a year now and I have been somewhat pleased with the service. I don't really have a contract with anyone so I can quit anytime and go with another service (Direct TV or Comcast Digial Cable). My question is, what can you all tell me why I should stay with Dish Network? Why is Dish Network or satellite that much better than other options available out there?

Deep,

Each subscriber asks that question for him/herself. I personally stay with Dish because they can provide BOTH UPN and WB in my area, if you don't have local affiliates then DirecTV can't provide both UPN and WB to you. The other reasons; 1) Dish has the some channels that I can't get with either Cable or DirecTV as well as an RV exemption that provides ALL of my receivers with the distant Network feeds.

John

The reason is "Better the devil you know" I have been with dish for 9 years, i have had no significant issues, i was with the local cable provider for a year and had nothing but issues, i like dish's dvr technology, cant live without it.

Now if i was making the decision today i made 9 years ago, that would be a difficult decision as pretty much d* and Cable offer similar capabilities, except, i cant get hd locals via dish but i can via the other two, and cable is more expensive for the rest of my programming.

I went with DISH because they have the best basic package of channels for the lowest cost. Their AT60 package gives me almost every channel I want . . . to pay for. I have three other options (Direct TV, COX, Qwest) but Dish currently has the best price for my needs.

I'm with Dish because of the HD and International programming but if MBC starts airing "Music Camp" again and FoxTV starts airing the HD feed of that in TRUE 1080i I'll HAVE to carry that POS as well, unless KMTV and M-Net have a similar show and Dish gives me the HD feed of it.
Also I suggest keeping Dish because of all the Public Interest channels they carry. The rest of you can roll your eyes all you want but hey they're commercial free I think and educational.
I also like how on average Dish carries a greater variety of movie channels than FoxTV for the money you pay.

I went with dish because of the quality HD that they have (or Had). I too like the some of the public interest channels that they offer. Some are cheesy but some are pretty interesting if you watch them. I know before Dish even had Voom, I put up a 61.5 dish to get the other PI channels off that satellite. My favorite ones are Ch. 9410 - Linktv and Ch.9415 - Free Speech TV. There is a good show that airs on both of those channels that is called "Democracy Now".

As a former VOOM DBS'er, I went with VOOM because they were the next best things...plus, the 942 HD DVR is certainly an excellent receiver. I have been happy with the service from Dish Network, but with Verizon FiOS/AT&T coming up to speed, IPTV coming to fruition, and Cable coming up to speed with digital simulcasting and other new technologies---not to mention D* rolling out HD LIL and MPEG-4---E* will need to continually work hard to offer full bitrate SD/HD video services and improve customer service in order to retain my loyalty.

I origionally went with Dish over Directv when Prime star went under, because of the Superstations. I had to watch Star Trek Voyager on Upn . That was 9 years ago. I no longer watch ANYTHING on Upn. In fact I no longer even sub to Upn superstation , just the Wb KTla. Oh and the price was cheaper and still is.

Ask yourself if your happy with what you have, have you had any issues, has your experience been positive and is dishnetwork a company you would recommend, these would be your answers as to stay or go. So far as the rest, well you can have satellite basicly anywhere that you can call home so long as you have a line of site to the south and southwest, you can even have satellite while your driving down the road and take satellite with you when you go out in the rv or to the cabin for the weekend.

personally i chose dish network because i like the equipment better... i know that sounds strange, but i never did like any of the receivers that my company installed... the tivo was painfully slow, and the guide loaded one line at a time. I installed both Dish and Directv for a little over 4 years, and I I prefer Dish... just my opinion

I've had Dish for about 4 months now. And for me it was all about the Benjamins. I get the top 60 package with hd channels for less than comcast analog. It helps that I'm in a major dma and can get all the networks in hd ota with no problem.

If you have Triple play Cable in your area you may want to check the price.
HD, video, high-speed internet, voip telephone & video on demand It depends on
yourcable company. I,m a retailer for dish, I subscribe to dish programming,
Charter for high-speed internet, and Sun Rocket for Voip. My cousin who lives in a different state has Comcast with the whole bundle. If I had his choice I would switch in a second. But Cable has different rates & quality around the states.

JohnL said:
Deep,
Each subscriber asks that question for him/herself. I personally stay with Dish because they can provide BOTH UPN and WB in my area, if you don't have local affiliates then DirecTV can't provide both UPN and WB to you. The other reasons; 1) Dish has the some channels that I can't get with either Cable or DirecTV as well as an RV exemption that provides ALL of my receivers with the distant Network feeds.
John

Not to side track this thread, but does that mean that you get your local networks and east/west coast ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX?

I'm grandfathered with E/W coast networks and was told I couldn't get both distant and local networks.

I went with dish because of their 2 room Dvr's. And the price of their service, I love it. I also like the fact that they are now carrying Voom, and I believe will come through in their HD offerings. I do love my pittsburgh steelers and all football, but I felt because of what dish has they are a better fit for me. I have had cable and it worked well for two weeks (both times, the second after them promising me they re ran all the lines in my neighberhood). But after that it was a hassle.

Pretty much the same reasons here.

With Dish I'm able to get AT120 for $10-15 cheaper than what I had with my cable company (charter). The picture is a 10 times better. I can finally watch TV with out snow, slanted dotted lines and the likes.

I started with Dish when the 7200 PVR was new and I wanted one. Also because the same equipment could be subbed to Sky Angel which I also wanted. Third reason, because the local cable monopoly (Mediacom) was and still is absolutely awful.

I've been with dish for 6 years and I install for dish and direct and I still like dishes receivers and prices better so I choose to stay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)