Why DISH not make a transfer to pc (for free-copy flags) like Tivo desktop software?

Really is a great feature.

I suppose if TIVO can do it that way, DISH could too. But you can record to a computer from a DISH receiver now if you really want to if you use the analog outputs but it would be in real time not a file transfer. I the TIVO transfer HD? Also the way DISH does it most any program can be downloaded to mobile devices, and you can watch programs live or DVR'd, and on your computer anywhere if you have an internet connection, and easily in the house. I would say the number of people who would use a computer to watch downloaded programs away from home is dwindling fast, compared to using a Tablet or Smartphone. Even at that, rather than take the time to download to a computer, with so many hotels, airports and places having Wifi (Though sometimes slow) I would probably just stream what I want on a computer. Tablets and smartphones are a little different because they are small enough to routinely watch at times there is no internet and would tend to be carried all the time. In those cases downloading can make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Tivo doesn't actually have contract like Dish does. Tivo doesn't carry any programming, they just make a recording device. Dish actually has to have contracts to carry these channels and I'm sure there's some wording in them about transferring to computers.

It also depends on your cable provider. Some providers mark all (except locals) as copy protected and the TiVo cannot do the transfers. Only the locals are guaranteed to be OK to copy.

Only the locals are guaranteed to be OK to copy.

But not on Dish. :( They might have allowed OTA programs to be transferred to an EHD without encryption, and allow those of us who can read ext3 file systems access. But alas they did not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts