Why do I get pixellation on grass during football??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

optimus182k

Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
I have a 54" Samsung HDTV 4:3. When I set my receiver at 4:3 #1 and 1080i I get focus problems with grass on football fields. It is very noticeable and looks bad! Is it a compression problem? Do I just need to stick with the 480p output?

I had Time Warner HD prior to getting Dish and I never had these problems before......and suggestions??

optimus182k said:
Can anyone suggest anything?? Any help would be appreciated......

Sounds like compression to me... are you watching it on one of these 3 channels per transponder channels or are you watching it OTA

I see the pixellation watching OTA as well - it's a compression problem at the source (the broadcast, not the provider).

markdl said:
I see the pixellation watching OTA as well - it's a compression problem at the source (the broadcast, not the provider).
well...I totally agree....

However for the record... gras is the hardest thing to keep from pixelating because its stationary and takes up a huge amount of screen.

It seems that if it were at the source (which I agree it is) he would see it on his cable as well. I would ask this: when you had cable were you watching it on a tube TV?

ShadowEKU said:
well...I totally agree....

However for the record... gras is the hardest thing to keep from pixelating because its stationary and takes up a huge amount of screen.

I tend to see it worse on 720p vs 1080i, but granted that's with a 1080i native TV

hancox said:
I tend to see it worse on 720p vs 1080i, but granted that's with a 1080i native TV

your TV is trying to Upconvert to 1080i. that will make it worse. Of course this all depends on what Rez its broadcast in

ShadowEKU said:
Sounds like compression to me... are you watching it on one of these 3 channels per transponder channels or are you watching it OTA

What is OTA?? Sorry I am a new to the lingo.......

Also, I am getting this on the ESPN HD channel.....

charper1 said:
It seems that if it were at the source (which I agree it is) he would see it on his cable as well. I would ask this: when you had cable were you watching it on a tube TV?

I was watching it on the same TV. I never actually watched a football game but I did watch many soccer games and I never had the problem......

I'm thinking if your setting your receiver to 4x3 #1 then you must be using s-video or composite... because a HD output would have to be a 16x9 format... I could be very wrong on that... BUT, you should check to make sure you are using DVI or Component from your 811 to your tv to get true HD. I would leave the 811 receiver set to 16x9 1080i and let the TV handle any stretching and see if that produces better results.

With ESPNHD it is also important to consider when they are showing something in true HD and when they are just upconverting.. most of the time it's just an upconverted signal (when they have the HD brackets on each side to fill a 16x9).

Why do I get pixellation on grass during football??

Well the players might be wearing the wrong shoes or maybe all the hard hitting knocks off the pixelate from their uniforms.

Actually, I got quite concerned when I read this. Seeing as how I've had a lot of football on lately, I immediately checked my front and back yards. Good news, no pixelate on my grass (I heard it requires professional removal if you get it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts